Alephone (Marathon)

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
I finally have it working on the wiz (what a pain)
compiled boost, speez, SDL_net
downscaled the screen from 640x480 to 320x240 (evil devs used RectUpdate all over the place :-( )
touchscreen controls works (besides the annoying cpu clock issue)
buttons act as keyboard keys (took a while to figure this, not only do they use multiple poll's, they also use GetState for the keyboard)
It is a bit slow, overclocking helps but then again the touchscreen gets messed up and its pretty important to have the touchscreen in this game for the menus.

I will put up the binary tomorrow. Too late here, and ive been at this all day.

Get it here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,266

Doesnt include game data, get that here: http://source.bungie.org/get/

Another Huge work by Pickle :) thank you for your port.

I have a couple of question :
Is this based on OpenGL or Software rendered ?
In case of soft render ...Do you think its possible to run on GP2X ?

Farox said:
Another Huge work by Pickle :) thank you for your port.

I have a couple of question :
Is this based on OpenGL or Software rendered ?
In case of soft render ...Do you think its possible to run on GP2X ?

Thanks for the compliment, this port was a challenge.

This of course is using the sw render. It could run on the gp2x, maybe even as it is since its dynamically linked. Although it could use some specific changes.
But do you also know the gp2x already has a version ported? It be better to use since it used the gp2x hw scaler. I miss that scaler.

Ive gotten the infinity data to work, but not the durandel (maranthon 2) data. Might have been something bad in the config.

Last edited by a moderator:
chickendung said:
I'll be sure to check this out once I'm done with my Physics. Great work, Pickle. Do you think the performance would increase if OpenGL is used?

Could be, but probably a lot of work to get it to work with opengl es.

Ive learned have to properly setup all 3 games in scripts. I will update the archive once they are setup.

Pickle said:
chickendung said:
I'll be sure to check this out once I'm done with my Physics. Great work, Pickle. Do you think the performance would increase if OpenGL is used?

Could be, but probably a lot of work to get it to work with opengl es.

Ive learned have to properly setup all 3 games in scripts. I will update the archive once they are setup.

Sounds good. Should we use the cpufreq file you made to overclock, or is there a setting in game?

EDIT: Perhaps, if cpufreq is required, you should include it with the download, and change the gpe to use it so it is overclocked by default? It seems like it is only playable with an overclock.

Also, will it ever be possible to make the text legible? I know the game has been shrunk down quite a bit, but I'm wondering if the text could remain large somehow. It's very hard to read the mission prompts and maps...

EDIT 2:Hmm...I can't seem to get it to overclock properly. I've duplicated my process from underclocking CDogs (apart from the cpufreq value) which works fine, but it doesn't seem to affect the performance of Alephone. I'd prefer not to use GMenu; it's still quite buggy. :(

I take it back the scripts im using arnt working, on the pc side i saw a method to export the data paths to a env var that alephone checks.
If anyone else gets separate scripts working for each episode please post

Pickle said:
I take it back the scripts im using arnt working, on the pc side i saw a method to export the data paths to a env var that alephone checks.
If anyone else gets separate scripts working for each episode please post

Ok i figured it out. Do this to setup alephone for all 3 of the episodes.
Extract the contents of each episode into the folder AlephOne that was included in the zip.
Create 3 scripts with this contents, this example is for m1a1 (dont know why but the wiz sees m1a1 as lowercase, pc sees it as uppercase, if it doesnt work with lower set to upper)

#!/bin/sh
export ALEPHONE_DATA=./AlephOne:./AlephOne/m1a1
./alephonebin
sync
cd /usr/gp2x
exec ./gp2xmenu

Use the same script but change the export line for the other episodes:

export ALEPHONE_DATA=./AlephOne:./AlephOne/Marathon\ 2
export ALEPHONE_DATA=./AlephOne:./AlephOne/Marathon\ Infinity

Of courese save the scripts as something.gpe

I still can't get Marathon to work. It just hangs at the loading screen. I tried putting it in 3 places, the parent directory, the .alephone directory, and the AlephOne directory. I tried using the new script you provided too, but it hasn't gotten me anywhere either.

Ive update the archive with a new better package. It includes the scripts to run all 3 episodes.
Ive also included pref files for each episode, this includes mappings, a couple options to get more performance. The engine is running a bit faster now.
Get it here temporarily:
pickle.gp2x.de/alephone-wiz.zip

I can't get any of them to run, where exactly do you have to put the downloaded files/folders? (M1A1, Marathon 2 & Marathon Infinity)
Cheers, Neil

Here's some icons for it, I've resized them to 32x32, 25x25 & 22x25. :)

Mr 2X said:
I've tried and all 3 episodes work. Only flaw is the unreadable text.

Ok, i have a possible solution to the unreadable text. Give it a try.
Left+Right shoulders put the screen into unscaled mode. ABXY move the selected area around.
Get this version at the link above.

Neil L said:
I can't get any of them to run, where exactly do you have to put the downloaded files/folders? (M1A1, Marathon 2 & Marathon Infinity)
Cheers, Neil

Here's some icons for it, I've resized them to 32x32, 25x25 & 22x25. :)

thanks, i can setup of the icons in the next version.
All you should have to do with the latest version is extract the zips you get from the alephone site in the data directory. If it still doesnt work, try switching the casing of the names in the scripts, like m1a1 to M1A1.

Thank you Pickle for the advice, they are all working now.
I put the downloaded M1A1, Marathon 2 & Marathon Infinity folders into the data folder and everythings fine.
You don't have to change the M1A1 script. (If you do it doesn't work, I did this first trying to be clever!)
Cheers, Neil

Back