Aesthetic Appeal/Presentation...

the problem is there is nothing wrong with the design, and theres nothing that could be easily improved.

well there is, or the prototype would be the final design, but we've been told there are going to be a few minor changes. there could easily be a few little touches to greatly enhance it's appearace.. as i have no experience in building games consoles, i can't say how they'd go about it, hiring a professional designer i guess? also, to re-iterate, im not slating it, just saying it's not as good as it could be...

crimsonnight said:
well there is, or the prototype would be the final design, but we've been told there are going to be a few minor changes. there could easily be a few little touches to greatly enhance it's appearace.. as i have no experience in building games consoles, i can't say how they'd go about it, hiring a designer i guess?
rounded corners. thats it, and its already been said that it is planned. ive made 2 different papercraft pandoras- i can say that the pandora fits perfectly in your hands and works well. there is not a problem with ergonomics, and theres no problem with the aesthetics: pure simplicity is better, not everyone wants logos and lights and shit slapped all over the thing.

I believe that changing the case at this point would only result in added cost to the system. Under that belief I can't say it can be justified to change the system just to add more polish, as those who are most interested in a polished system would be the same who would notice the high cost.

If my assumption is wrong and switching to a different case would only take effort, then I feel it would be for the Craig and co. to decide if they need to change the device to make it more marketable. Though I do believe the current marketing for the device has lead to more sales in less then a week then they were expecting, so much so that a decrease in profits may be very acceptable.

I like the looks of the Pandora. I'm planning to buy a second one and mod it into a convertible if feasible. For gaming netbook-style and for surfing tablet-style :D

We don't know exactly what it looks like yet.
Most £500 laptops don't exactly look sexy.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the community that helped get the project to this stage weren't complaining daily about it's looks. They were asking about what it could do, if it was going to be ergonomic, and just how soon would they be able to get one.
(ok, yeah, and then there was quasist... :D )
crimsonnight said:
Chip said:
Just as function is more important than appearance for a computing device, quality is more important than quantity when building a community. We don't necessarily want the sort of people who are more concerned with looks that capabilities to be buying Pandoras. They are not likely to contribute anything to the platform, and they are more likely to have/cause problems. We don't loose anything as a community by not catering to the fashion obsessed.
By the wiz adding a few extra details such as the white outlines, orange strip, and cool logo it achieves both those things - and i personally feel the pandora deserves something simular to compliment it's internal greatness.
I sort of understood your point, even if I didn't agree. But now you want go faster stripes.

emcp said:
crimsonnight said:
also people where saying people who choose looks over functionality wont contribute to the community, which sort of confuses me, is their money not as good as ours, i know a lot of my friends wont buy this if it doesnt look decent enough, but their money is still good for the devs fund and for supporting the pandora by simply buying it.
Money doesn't come into it. Nor does wanting something to look nice. But if people are more concerned about 'fashion' over function they are not as likely to add to the community in the long term. (@crimsonlight - I'm not suggesting you are more concerned about fashion). I believe that what Chip summarised is what I, and probably many others, think.

edit: And what I forgot to say: It's finished now - it is what it is. I also think it is fine as it is.

i wish they would have made it look like this:
[youtube]DMAo2kyP2WQ[/youtube]

Don't care one bit about the looks as long as it is functional and the quality is good. From the looks of it I think the team succeeded in making it sturdy and functional.
It looks like a small eeepc with gaming input. Not the best design ever, but not ugly as well.

MarkoeZ said:
maybe it's because of months of waiting, but i think she looks damn sexy ;)

Just my humble opinion
Yeah, I'm sure our love has somethign to do with our long wait

gerd said:
I like the looks of the Pandora. I'm planning to buy a second one and mod it into a convertible if feasible. For gaming netbook-style and for surfing tablet-style :D

I would definitely pay you if you began a Pandora convertible service.
Oh, convertibles.. :oops:

PoisonedV said:
crimsonnight said:
EDIT* Also, I'd happily pay a little extra if it resulted in a cleaner, more polished look
Well I wouldn't.
First of all, this is all a matter of opinion.
Second, it works perfectly for it's market. Most people who complain about it's design are NOT the people who are going to end up using it thoroughly or contributing to the community. The design is rugged, sturdy, and there are no ergonomic flaws. if you want to impress your friends back in the 8th grade, maybe you should just get a psp.

I completely and utterly agree. The sort of quiet power of it is just brilliant. Plus the PSP-copying crap Wiz has a stupid name.

if it looks like the way it looks in the renders im happy, very very happy

iJeff said:
I would definitely pay you if you began a Pandora convertible service.
Oh, convertibles.. :oops:

If it works well, I will document it an post it. I will try to cut the case least as possible to make it easier for people to do it the same. Maybe someone can produce the hinges and sell them.

Ok I am playing devils advocate here....

I DO understand boths sides of the argument....

Lets face it WHEN marketing to the general public YOU NEED a "First impression" marketing tactic.
MOST companies go for a futuristic knockoff or a "flash in the pan" design with little or no idea about form meeting functionality.

So with that... I CAN see how the WIZ would automatically grab a buyers attention because of packaging and design.

BUT with the Pandora...its not a PSP...its not an EEE PC..and it sure as hell isn't a WIZ.

Its unique in design BASED on functionality. AND its marketed to those looking for higher end specced gaming and development.

The Pandora can be marketed to a larger swath of demographics but lets face it this Pandora was made by folks who built this community into what it is. We are hardcore, retro gamers, and developers, and coder,s and Modders.
We arn't a family looking to buy a new PSP or Wiz for our kiddies for Christmas....
I am sorry but the Pandora isn't a kiddie toy and sure as hell not a Leapster that my 4 year old nephew plays.

BUT.... I do understand the marketing ploy put out by GPH. Its a Flash in the Pan.

Kids? Pandora? You made me spill my beer, sir! How very dare you mention those two words in the same sentence.

The point was valid though.

I would expect to see an aesthetically "improved" version of the Pandora some 12 months or so along the line.

Hardware internals must stay the same - but externally the sky's the limit...

Pandora Slim+Lite in 2009?

Personally, I'm not going to be parading around with my Pandora showing it to every bugger that I see and boasting. It's enough for me that it does what it's meant for. However I do agree, the looks of the Pandora are not it's strong point (reminds me a little bit of a black Toshiba Libretto 50CT) - but let's face it...it still rocks!!

Physically, I just want it to be tough and not flimsy, no sharp edges and smooth enough not to pick up dirt and dust off everything. Anything beyond that (in my opinion) would have delayed production of the Pandora more than was necessary - the important thing is to get these babies out of the factory and into our sweaty hands! If in 12 months time there is a prettier version of the Pandora and my MK2 is looking a bit long in the tooth - then I'll probably upgrade. Until then, I'll be happy with what I get.

Back