Why Would You Choose The Gp32ii Over The Psp?

To tell you the truth, I don't really remember where I heard it. If it's not backwards compatiblie though, I'll be pissed... and then I don't know what the hell I'm gonna buy... maybe nothing.

craig said it would be theoretically backwards compatible, so expect that to be the case when it arrives later this year. and maybe sooner rather than later if you read between the lines on gbax.

Are we also sure that the GP32II will be able to run homebrew games too. There's a possibility it may lock down it's SDK and do the same as everyone else?

WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 26 2005 at 07:14 PM said:
Are we also sure that the GP32II will be able to run homebrew games too. There's a possibility it may lock down it's SDK and do the same as everyone else?
craig said it'll run homebrew (obviously he didn't actually say that, but it was strongly implied - basically he said "you won't be dissappointed").

Last edited by a moderator:
Technically you Cant say for 100% that the GP32II will allow homebrew, they might have said they will allow it BUT they could change their mind...

I mean, What else could the GP32II emulate??? Maybe GBA, but a GBA can be bought for £10 :p I cant see it emulating PSX or N64 BUT it would be great if it could.

Im going PSP but Keeping my GP32 BLU. PSP will have better Games etc etc and my GP32 can be used for Emulation... :)

I'm definantly edging towards GP32II after reading this, thanks guys! I think I'll wait and see how these SDK PSP updates go in the future.

I think one factor is that when the GP32 first came out, it was at the top of it's class, Nintendo were still using their ever so crappy gameboy colours (this was like 7 years AFTER The Game Gear which totally raped the Gameboy & GB Colour) and here then all of a sudden this great open source (32 BIT!! This was at the end of the PSX era where 32 bit was still relatively modern) handheld came out, for the first time, relatively on par with a lot of the consoles out at the time.

Now the GP32II specs are good, but not as groundbreaking as the originals were upon it's release. What I'm really hoping for is, besides changing from Smartmedia, continuing that now would kill the GP32II, I'm hoping for a few new emulators.

Could this do amiga? Could this do PSX or N64? I know the awesome power that emulation needs (I know there's a few out there who just assume a 32-bit console should be able to emulate 32-bit systems seeing as they are both 32-bit, sorry to burst your bubble fellows, but even the C64 Emulator usually needs a pentium!)

But is it possible to get PSX at least?

I'd definantly support the GP32II homebrew scene, I know next to nothing about coding but with that power at your fingertips it's hard to resist!

I really need to learn how to code... I wanna make some stuff for the new system, but I know nothing about coding at all.

Can it emulate PSX or N64? Probably not... but Craig did tell us not to judge this thing on processor speed alone, so who knows? I have no idea what it could have up its sleeve to make it good enough to emulate PSX, if it would even have anything... I dunno, but that would be cool as hell if it could.

I can't deny that I am addicted to these things.

I would buy the "gp32 II" as soon I find it here in Japan. I already own a Gp32 , and two PSPs (1.5 and 1.0) , and I just love all of them.

I am not rich , just a hardworking guy :)

The reasons for bying either system should be obvious to the people who choose them. The new GP32 should likely support homebrew or at the very least not disallow it, for obvious reasons (weak commercial support, homebrew friendly increases sales amoung tech savy folk). All that power they stick in to a new GP will obviously be meant for nice 3D games but will inevitably be used for emmulation.

Meanwhile the PSP will undoubtly experience far superior quality commercial games while it slowly has it's homebrew scene strangled by firmware upgrades. While hackers and coders are tenacious and unyeilding in their attempts eventually people will just get tired of following the updates and trying to get things to work after they loose their homebrew abilities to a new update. Plus Sony seems to be trying to lure people away from the homebrew abilities by making the firmware updates more attractive with new features starting with it's next upgrade.

Captainbubby posted on Jul 27 2005 at 12:50 AM said:
I'm definantly edging towards GP32II after reading this, thanks guys! I think I'll wait and see how these SDK PSP updates go in the future.

I think one factor is that when the GP32 first came out, it was at the top of it's class, Nintendo were still using their ever so crappy gameboy colours (this was like 7 years AFTER The Game Gear which totally raped the Gameboy & GB Colour) and here then all of a sudden this great open source (32 BIT!! This was at the end of the PSX era where 32 bit was still relatively modern) handheld came out, for the first time, relatively on par with a lot of the consoles out at the time.

Now the GP32II specs are good, but not as groundbreaking as the originals were upon it's release. What I'm really hoping for is, besides changing from Smartmedia, continuing that now would kill the GP32II, I'm hoping for a few new emulators.

Could this do amiga? Could this do PSX or N64? I know the awesome power that emulation needs (I know there's a few out there who just assume a 32-bit console should be able to emulate 32-bit systems seeing as they are both 32-bit, sorry to burst your bubble fellows, but even the C64 Emulator usually needs a pentium!)

But is it possible to get PSX at least?

I'd definantly support the GP32II homebrew scene, I know next to nothing about coding but with that power at your fingertips it's hard to resist!

Don't count on PSX and N64 especially. Those have custom polygon engines that are a bitch to emulate. The N64 especially as it has floating point math, perspective correction, z-buffer, mip mapping and anti-aliasing. Plus they are Mips CPUs which would be hard to emulate on an ARM without massive speed.

Remember Craig said the GP32II will be affordable and less expensive than the current model, so let's keep it realistic here. I would expect that it will do all 16-bit systems including NeoGeo and SNES. Anything more, I doubt strongly. Craig said to not judge it on CPU speed alone which hints at a less than spectacular speed. I would GUESS it will be around 300 MHz.

yeah, he said something about a gameboy advance being 16mhz and then told us to imagine something 20x as powerful... 320mhz. Even if it's not that fast, anything that's like 200 or higher should be sufficient for SNES and GBA... and all the other stuff that other people want that isn't as advanced as PSX or N64.

i would buy a GP32II (whatever it's called) if there are SNES emu, NeoGeo emu, GBA emu, Sega CD and PCE CD emu and CPS2 emu :D :D

Well I did know I was kind of clutching at straws with the N64, although it's unlikely, I'd love to see a PSX one, or Saturn, which I think will be slightly easier to emulate than the PSX.

In truth, what I hope the most is for some games, commericial, homebrew or otherwise, to make good use of all that power that the GP32II will have.

I pray Gamepark doesn't t just release Kimchi Man 2 with an all new hat for Kimchi man or something and an extra level, I want a Kimchi man that screams Gp32II power!

Captainbubby posted on Jul 27 2005 at 09:49 AM said:
Well I did know I was kind of clutching at straws with the N64, although it's unlikely, I'd love to see a PSX one, or Saturn, which I think will be slightly easier to emulate than the PSX.

In truth, what I hope the most is for some games, commericial, homebrew or otherwise, to make good use of all that power that the GP32II will have.

I pray Gamepark doesn't t just release Kimchi Man 2 with an all new hat for Kimchi man or something and an extra level, I want a Kimchi man that screams Gp32II power!

the saturn would be incredibly hard to emulate compared to the psx!! try and find a good saturn emulator for the pc! there arent any!!

Realistically though, better mame support, amiga, neo geo, advance, snes and iso support for the mega cd, super cd and cd32 would be awesome!

we could then start to diversify and go further afield with the likes of cdi, fm towns marty and X68000! Maybe 3D0 as well?

There is more than enough to emulate here to sustain most peoples interest for the life of the handheld, as long as they can be emulated competently

I want a GPx2 for that white case, I imported a white Nintendo DS and I've refrained from painting my GP32 (The only problem is that if you have grubby hands, the system needs a clean.) I love it. Also the fact that it seems to be backwards compatible with the GP32 seems to be nice.

a white handheld apart from the original gameboy is rare sight!

they are so desirable, there is now a white psp being released in japan and back in the early 90's, sega made a white sega game gear package!

So white is definitley the new black!

Bingo Jesus posted on Jul 27 2005 at 10:22 PM said:
I want a GPx2 for that white case, I imported a white Nintendo DS and I've refrained from painting my GP32 (The only problem is that if you have grubby hands, the system needs a clean.) I love it. Also the fact that it seems to be backwards compatible with the GP32 seems to be nice.

Sony is coming out with a a white PSP... :p

at least with game park they dont dump there consoles after about 2/3 years or something meaning no more games like the psp probly will , its like the ps2 thats about to be dumped for a ps3 (dunno when exactly)

gamepark dont keep makeing a new console every 5 mins like evey other huge game company thank god , i guess thats why the community grows stronger and more home made stuff is made maybe?

Steve

(i posted this at 5.09am so sorry if some stuff is hard to understand :p )

Back