Adequate for note taking?

I got this one for my girlfriend. It's not fast but slim, easy and optimal for note taking:
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/yoga-book/
Very nice! If that were still purchasable, preferably with Chrome OS or a current Android, I would buy one.

I suspect that this is it's successor. Same product name and more advanced 2nd screen.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...keyboard-for-e-ink-slab-in-new-999-yoga-book/

I love the concept, but I really don't want one with Windows on it. If Lenovo were to put Chrome OS or Android 8 on it, I would buy one.

Nice one.
Did not know this one.
[doublepost=1538243523,1538243417][/doublepost]You can get the first model on ebay for under 400€.
So I would no call this a rarity or that it's hard to get one.

$250 on Ebay US. So I did more research.
Single microUSB only. Not C, not the wide microUSB 3.0 - just plain slow old microUSB 2.0 port. No type A.
Looks like Lenovo has abandoned this at Android 7.

It is VERY tempting. With the OS updateless limit, though, I would have to see this as a 1 year and chuck it device - and I hate doing that. I'm going to have to hold out hopes for this next round of chrome book 2:1 units coming out in October. Maybe Lenovo will make one based on their e-ink dual display unit... THAT would be very cool.

Surface Laptops are very good in quality.
Quite a lot of customers of mine use them and are happy with performance and some even use Linux on them.
But there are some downsides:
- The Pen technology is not Wacom but N-Point and most people complain about them because they are much worse then their Wacom counterparts in terms of accuracy and handling
- Surface Laptops and tablets are good, IF they work: really often, you get a device with a defect screen, defect touch or something else. After exchanging it one or two times, you get one that works.

Since I had the same wish as you do:
I bought a X230T connvertible with i7 CPU on Ebay and put 16 GB RAM and an SSD inside.
It runs like hell, is extremely robust and Linux compatible.
The digitizer is from Wacom and it even got touch input.

But this was only a temporary solution, until my Pyra arrives.
I want the Pyra to be that notetaking device for the future and I think the screen will be big enough.

Due to not buying my Surface 3 (it was given to me), I didn't have the luxury to return mine and try to get another one. So my experience with it is bad, mine has a lot of dead pixels, issues with charging and the brightness keys don't work after I 'upgraded' to Windows 10.
I'm not complaining about it as a gift, if anything its a thought full and expensive one. But as a product, it sucks that a company like Microsoft doesn't have quality control of its product.

Due to not buying my Surface 3 (it was given to me), I didn't have the luxury to return mine and try to get another one. So my experience with it is bad, mine has a lot of dead pixels, issues with charging and the brightness keys don't work after I 'upgraded' to Windows 10.
I'm not complaining about it as a gift, if anything its a thought full and expensive one. But as a product, it sucks that a company like Microsoft doesn't have quality control of its product.
Yeah, thats exactly what I meant.
It's a very common problem on Surface devices.
A company like Microsoft should have better QA.

i had a surface pro 3 given to me by my work. only issue i had was they ordered the cheapest one with only 64 GB . over 30GB is used by windows. so i bought a 64GB micro SD card . what killed it was it got knocked off a table and fell flat on its back. within 2 weeks i noticed a crack in the screen and it worked its way from edge to edge. ended up having to disable the touch screen. a while after that it intermittently wouldn't boot. took several power on presses . screen was over $700 to replace.
i now have a HP elite X2 G1 . this has proved to be much better. the keyboard is way better than the Surface one and has backlight.
i use this over a laptop because of weight . i have to carry this all day everyday in my backpack along with all my most used tools etc. the thing has all my Manuals, machine firmwares ,tech bulletins etc... the only extra thing i have to carry is a USB to ethernet dongle. but as i also have to carry a network cable its no big deal..

I bought a Samsung NB 30 plus form ebay second hand (the 2GB RAM model) for 50 euros (including shipping from the UK),
replaced the HDD with a 120Gig SSD,
bought a new 9-cell battery for it for cheap as well.
I setup a minimal arch install and used it without X11 as a challenge to myself for a while, then installed i3wm.

I have been using it since I bought it for notes during lectures and some hobby programming.
You need patience to run eclipse on it, but Vim with a bunch of plugins works flawlessly and I never have to even think about battery life.
It has happened quite a few times that I'd use it for 2-5 hours per day and charge it once per week.
Nowerdays, I just always put it on the charging spot and connect it to my lan to sync my notes to my server.

I really like the keyboard for typing the feeling is just right.
It even works with my bluetooth headphones and the wifi is also decent.

My recommendation: get a cheap netbook from ebay, if you only need to do typing and have no problem setting up linux to not run anything in the background.
I managed to get it to use no more than 74MB of RAM when idle :)

Back