Addon Keyboard Anyone?!

Ravnos said:
teggun said:
I'd rather there was no keyboard on a handheld gaming device.
And I'd rather there was a keyboard on my internet-capable Linux computer, because that's what this thing is. Anyone who would spend that kind of money on such a powerful machine just to play some old Nintendo games is suffering from some severe brain damage.

You're telling me i suffer from brain damage for buying the gp2x?

Last edited by a moderator:
magicman5421 said:
Sparr said:
magicman5421 said:
5 bucks says that if it was a peripheral, I would lose it.
I don't want it to really be a peripheral, I want it to be a detachable part of the unit. There is a difference. For most people you would never separate the two, but you could assemble them into different configurations. For people who never use the keyboard, it would be the case cover. The Nokia 770 cover doesnt DO anything, and no one loses those.

5 bucks says that if it was detachable period i would lose it. and so would a lot of other people.

Let me ask you this, what is the difference to you if it is detachable or not? I don't think you understand the design we're talking about here. Assuming you like the design of the prototype now, then our suggestion would be that you will get the exact same unit if you didn't detach it. For others who dont want the keyboard CAN detach it. If you like the current design, then nothing changes for you. So I don't see the problem here at all. Of course, the problem will probably arise when the controls have to be located on the side of the screen like the PSP, on the plus side, the keyboard would be bigger than the prototype.

Perky_Goth said:
Ravnos said:
And I'd rather there was a keyboard on my internet-capable Linux computer, because that's what this thing is. Anyone who would spend that kind of money on such a powerful machine just to play some old Nintendo games is suffering from some severe brain damage.

But the GP2X isn't an internet-capable Linux computer, is it? Plus it is cheaper than the Pandora, and less powerful therefore it's less of a waste if you just use it for old Nintendo games.

Anyway, I think the keyboard is an integral part of this device - it's one of the things that separates it from the PSP and DS markets. It has a wide variety of applications it can be used for (certain emulators, internet, IM, word processing, extra buttons if needed etc.). If it was detachable, it would probably make the keyboard more fragile, as people could accidentally break the buttons in their pockets, or damage the connector to the Pandora - plus, where would the battery then go? I'd rather have it so that the keyboard could just fold back behind the screen so that it would be easier to use touchscreen apps or for watching videos. The only concern of mine is that the hinge might not be strong enough for heavy touchscreen use.

Perky_Goth said:
Ravnos said:
teggun said:

If you spent $350 on one, then you're damn right I am.

Ravnos said:
teggun said:

Mate, this isn't an internet-capable Linux computer. It's a (and I quote): "extremely powerful handheld gaming system".

It happens to be linux based. Calling it a computer makes it look like a shit eeePC, because it's spec really is shit compared to a proper UMPC. No one will choose the pandora over a proper laptop/umpc/pda/anything if people keep calling it a computer.

You think this is gonna support debian, wifi, dual SD cards, a bluetooth dongle, firefox, skype, banshee and let you play N64 all at the same time??? It won't, it's handheld, it's tiny, the battery is tiny, the keyboard is not a keyboard, it's a thumboard and it runs on an arm processor. On top of that the screen is 4.3 inches! It's the size of a DS!

Please, please keep the pandora for games, for apps written and ported specifically for it, give it a chat client, give it a web browser but keep gaming as it's premium because that's what it can do best!

GunPei2X said:
You're saying a keyboard is not part of pure gaming? I guess the Spectrum, C64, Amiga, ST, DOS, etc don't count.
They really don't. Regardless of what you want, I could place a pretty safe bet that 95% of the potential buyers for this system couldn't give a toss about those systems.

And I'm not talking about users of this forum, I'm talking about current gamers, the general public, people with £200 to blow on a handheld games console.

If I'm wrong, I'll take everything I've said back- but I hope Craig and his investors have done their market research because if they haven't this project is going to fail miserably.

teggun said:
Ravnos said:
teggun said:

Mate, this isn't an internet-capable Linux computer. It's a (and I quote): "extremely powerful handheld gaming system".

It happens to be linux based. Calling it a computer makes it look like a shit eeePC, because it's spec really is shit compared to a proper UMPC. No one will choose the pandora over a proper laptop/umpc/pda/anything if people keep calling it a computer.

You think this is gonna support debian, wifi, dual SD cards, a bluetooth dongle, firefox, skype, banshee and let you play N64 all at the same time??? It won't, it's handheld, it's tiny, the battery is tiny, the keyboard is not a keyboard, it's a thumboard and it runs on an arm processor. On top of that the screen is 4.3 inches! It's the size of a DS!

Please, please keep the pandora for games, for apps written and ported specifically for it, give it a chat client, give it a web browser but keep gaming as it's premium because that's what it can do best!

Yep, you're definitely brain damaged. Go take a look at the Nokia N-series tablets and get back to me. Those are the Pandora's competition. This is a miniature computer with built-in gaming controls, not a GP2X with a keyboard.

Ravnos said:
Yep, you're definitely brain damaged. Go take a look at the Nokia N-series tablets and get back to me. Those are the Pandora's competition. This is a miniature computer with built-in gaming controls, not a GP2X with a keyboard.
I have no idea how big craig and co. are but they sure as hell can't compete with Nokia. There is nothing in the pandora that N810 doesn't have- except for gaming potential.

teggun said:
Ravnos said:
I have no idea how big craig and co. are but they sure as hell can't compete with Nokia. There is nothing in the pandora that N810 doesn't have- except for gaming potential.

It also has about $100 lower price and more CPU and GPU power. The fact that it has gaming controls does nothing to detract from its uses as an internet tablet device, it merely reinforces its capabilities as a proper "jack of all trades" handheld. But hey, feel free to throw $350+ at this thing just to play 10-20 year old games. My GP2X and my PSP do all the emulating I could ever want for much cheaper. For the Pandora to not be capable of more would make it nothing but a waste of money, and Craig, ED, and MWeston all see it. The fact that you and others don't is shocking.

Ravnos said:
teggun said:
Ravnos said:

It also has about $100 lower price and more CPU and GPU power. The fact that it has gaming controls does nothing to detract from its uses as an internet tablet device, it merely reinforces its capabilities as a proper "jack of all trades" handheld. But hey, feel free to throw $350+ at this thing just to play 10-20 year old games. My GP2X and my PSP do all the emulating I could ever want for much cheaper. For the Pandora to not be capable of more would make it nothing but a waste of money, and Craig, ED, and MWeston all see it. The fact that you and others don't is shocking.

In addition, the Nseries tablets will never had good gaming potential unless Nokia give up on Ngage. The D-Pad on the N800 wouldn't stand up to much gaming, and I've heard there are big problems making use of it's built in (OMAP2420) 3D hardware. And let's not forget that gaming potential alone has sold quite a lot of hardware over the years.

Nseries tablets also need most XviD files re-encoded for smooth fullscreen playback. Given the OMAP3430 can handle 720p HD content, that shouldn't be a problem with the Pandora, plus you'll be able to plug it into your TV and watch things on the big screen.

You're saying a keyboard is not part of pure gaming? I guess the Spectrum, C64, Amiga, ST, DOS, etc don't count. Video gaming didn't start with the PS1 y'know.

Hey, dont forget the Atari Jaguar, which had a num-pad right on the controller!

Jaguar_Controller.jpg

Plus, many game system's controllers had more buttons than the Pandora. With a keyboard, you can map these buttons to keys.

Face it people, the built-in keyboard is here to stay. If they made it detachable, they would have to move all the main circuitry, battery, card slots, etc to the top half of the unit and I really don't think that is going to happen.

teggun said:
Ravnos said:

Hahahahaha, good one! The most wonderful thing about a free market is that anybody can compete with anybody. I personally with a company of only two have even ripped the bread right out of the mighty Microsoft mouth on one occasion. The only limit is you and whether or not you can deliver.

Ravnos said:
teggun said:
Ravnos said:

You are so bloody correct that I kinda feel sorry for teggun getting so overrun :D

teggun said:
There is nothing in the pandora that N810 doesn't have- except for gaming potential.
Isn't that... sort of the point?

No other device apart from the GP2X has both the dedicated gaming controls/hardware AND complete open source linux functionality.

GunPei2X said:
teggun said:
There is nothing in the pandora that N810 doesn't have- except for gaming potential.

No other device apart from the GP2X has both the dedicated gaming controls/hardware AND complete open source linux functionality.

Yes, the N810 does everything the pandora does- but it does it better. At least, on paper. The N810 has a touch screen that can be used, it looks great, has full speed flash, runs on linux, includes a camera, integrated GPS and bluetooth and it's made by a well established, trusted company. Furthermore it's been out, on sale for a couple of months now.

Basically the pandora appears to be a not so good N810 with a couple of analogue sticks and a graphics chip.

If the focus for the pandora is not on games what's the point of it?

teggun said:
GunPei2X said:
teggun said:

Yes, the N810 does everything the pandora does- but it does it better. At least, on paper. The N810 has a touch screen that can be used, it looks great, has full speed flash, runs on linux, includes a camera, integrated GPS and bluetooth and it's made by a well established, trusted company. Furthermore it's been out, on sale for a couple of months now.

Basically the pandora appears to be a not so good N810 with a couple of analogue sticks and a graphics chip.

Take another look from a software point of view. And you'll see that the pandora far surpass N810.

teggun said:
Yes, the N810 does everything the pandora does- but it does it better.
Except gaming. Yes, the N810 is a fantastic little device. It is very capable as a portable internet appliance and much more. However a lack of dedicated gaming controls, 3d video acceleration, and dedicated homebrew community (compared to this forum) leaves it far behind in the gaming department.

teggun said:
The N810 has a touch screen that can be used, it looks great, has full speed flash, runs on linux, includes a camera, integrated GPS and bluetooth and it's made by a well established, trusted company. Furthermore it's been out, on sale for a couple of months now.
Pandora will have a touchscreen, will run linux, and is being made by people with whom I am more familiar with than Nokia's "well-established" engineering team. True, it does not have built in bluetooth, GPS or camera, but it is also a couple hundred bucks cheaper. You can buy SDIO modules to add that functionality if you wish, or you could pocket the difference.

teggun said:

The "not so good" part is, at best, debatable. Especially when it comes to things like processor power or expandability. And besides, those analog sticks and graphics chip go a long way if you (like the majority of posters here) are looking to do at least some gaming on the device.

And lastly, the impression I get is that the focus for the Pandora is simply to make the best, most open portable computing platform around. The focus is to make a device for games and productivity apps and media playing and web browsing and home automation control and anything else you can come up with.

Chip said:
Except gaming. Yes, the N810 is a fantastic little device. It is very capable as a portable internet appliance and much more. However a lack of dedicated gaming controls, 3d video acceleration, and dedicated homebrew community (compared to this forum) leaves it far behind in the gaming department.
meat & potatoes of argument. 3d acceleration ftw.

magicman5421 said:
5 bucks says that if it was detachable period i would lose it. and so would a lot of other people.
Me included. The reason I'm getting this device is because it consolidates a lot of devices into one very nice little package. The last thing I need is that one device multiplying into little parts.

teggun said:
Folks, I think it's about time we clear up some of this confusion. The device was aimed at being a GP2X replacement. No doubt about it: this aims at grabbing most, if not all, of the GP2X users. They must've seen the potential for a portable computer as well, seeing the power and capability, so they added a keyboard. It's a gaming machine first and foremost, and its PC nature come second. That doesn't mean we get rid of the keyboard - I think the keyboard adds double its normal usefulness, in both gaming and PC usage.

Perky_Goth said:
Ravnos said:
teggun said:

He, this was half tongue in cheek, I expected someone to pick up on it... :unsure: as for spending $300+ on it, i ordered from playasia and customs charged me 30+% on the damned thing. sigh.

as for competition with the n8xx, well,it is competition to me. i would suggest the the gaming controls would put off a few people... but that's the point of mobile devices, they have to be different due to size and price constraints dispite now having good enough processing capabilities for general use.

Back