Add Firewire

oler

Still Fresh
Im not sure this topic belongs here and please move if it doesn't so.

I would like to know if it would be possible to add firewire 400 to the Pandora or Beagleboard.
If so, it would be one mean hacking machine.
I just love the fact that it has usb host for using a wifi adapter supported by the aircrack-ng suite.
On top of that it would be great to add firewire for using winpwn.
Purely for educational purposes of course.

--Oler

The boards are mostly made and they've already started assembling completed units. But since you asked so nicely, we'll stop everything and do a complete redesign to add a dead interconnect just so you can jailbreak your iphone. Sure, winpwn, as evidenced by the name, only runs under Windows (and isn't even being developed anymore), but what the hell. :rolleyes:

Chip said:
The boards are mostly made and they've already started assembling completed units. But since you asked so nicely, we'll stop everything and do a complete redesign to add a dead interconnect just so you can jailbreak your iphone. Sure, winpwn, as evidenced by the name, only runs under Windows (and isn't even being developed anymore), but what the hell. :rolleyes:

ouchp.png

I, for one <3 Chip.

Although it's anyone's guess why you bother.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
this

Rayek said:
I, for one <3 Chip.
& this (also ouch at ur userbar =P)

Maybe oler was asking if it would be possible to hack a firewire port onto it, rather than asking if OP could add one to the actual board.
Is that what you meant?

fearofshorts said:
Maybe oler was asking if it would be possible to hack a firewire port onto it, rather than asking if OP could add one to the actual board.
Is that what you meant?
Yeah, I vote for that one too. It seems like he wanted to mod in one himself rather than demanding it to be produced.

GuSec said:
fearofshorts said:
Is that what you meant?
Yeah, I vote for that one too. It seems like he wanted to mod in one himself rather than demanding it to be produced.
I'd also like this too, actually. I've got a friend who wants to be able to take video from his pro camera off thru the firewire, would be pretty neat to have it fed to a device w/ a live LCD and everything. But yeah, not much uses firewire except apple products and old cameras now.

GuSec said:
fearofshorts said:
Is that what you meant?
even if that was possible it certainly wouldn't be any kind of practical

Considering that he also mentioned the beagleboard it seemed obvious that he was looking for an experienced person to let him know if one could be in some way added to either. I see nothing in his statement about expecting the Pandora to come with one. It seems lately people want to be the first to snap off a good insult at a new or relatively new forum members post. While not the oldest member by far I had a relatively new person snap off at me couple of days ago. Not sure why, now that the Pandora is closer to shipping and people are supposed to have holiday cheer that the nasties are coming out of people. :blink:

Oh well. I guess when you mention something related to running windows software you do kinda put the target right on your back, but I would have thought a "No. Not without redesigning the board" would have sufficed.

Edit: My cancorder downloads through firewire, and yeah I would think that the Pandora probably wouldn't be too useful. I guess though that maybe it would be possible just to transfer the DVI video to say a 32GB card if it could even handle the bandwidth. But that's a wonky and expensive, however admittedly useful thought for someone maybe, but not me.

Even Apple is moving away from Firewire. They dropped it from the macbooks a while ago. eSATA is faster than firewire 800, and by the time 1600/3200 makes it to market, it will already be irrelevant due to USB 3.0 and possibly even lightpeak. Firewire is already dead.

If you really need it, use an adapter.

Poem58 said:
Edit: My cancorder downloads through firewire, and yeah I would think that the Pandora probably wouldn't be too useful. I guess though that maybe it would be possible just to transfer the DVI video to say a 32GB card if it could even handle the bandwidth. But that's a wonky and expensive, however admittedly useful thought for someone maybe, but not me.
By DVI do you mean digital video? because DVI means digital video interconnect and I don't think cams have DVI ports on them.

non-HD video is only like 5-10 mbit/s isn't it? seems like there's plenty of bandwidth then. The idea would be to strap it to the cam and have it dump video direct to a 500 gb 2.5" drive or something like that. Look up how much devices to record firewire to a hard drive portably cost. they're very expensive.

Chip said:
These only work for devices that support Firewire over USB. Firewire and USB are different specs, the way they handle the communication bus is completely different.

What i meant was winlockpwn not winpwn sorry for that.
And yes I was obviously trying to find out whether or not it was possible to add it when i get a Pandora, Beagleboard or even a Gumstix. Lol that you even think of me asking to stop the production procces. The first 100 boards looked nice btw.

fearofshorts said:
Is that what you meant?

That is exactly what i meant, than you.

Chip said:
Even Apple is moving away from Firewire. They dropped it from the macbooks a while ago. eSATA is faster than firewire 800, and by the time 1600/3200 makes it to market, it will already be irrelevant due to USB 3.0 and possibly even lightpeak. Firewire is already dead.

As said by rabidpoolbear that only works for devices with that support both firewire and usb.
My goal here was to add firewire to use with winlockpwn (said winpwn before, so I totally get why you got jumpy)
So does anyone has an idea if it is possible? (practical is another matter :p )

Consequence9 said:
even if that was possible it certainly wouldn't be any kind of practical

You sure have a point there.
Then again i didn't ask if it was practical to add firewire. :p

@oler
There is an "edit" button you can use to edit your post ;)
Edit: Oh, you found it already. Ask borgqueenx about the importance of postcount, if you care.

Sure it's practical to add firewire:

1) Take pandora and pc with firewire port
2) Stick together with duct tape
3) Use PC side for firewire, and Pandora side for portable gaming.

(something must have broken, I don't seem to be posting informative messages anymore)

pelrun said:
Sure it's practical to add firewire:

1) Take pandora and pc with firewire port
2) Stick together with duct tape
3) Use PC side for firewire, and Pandora side for portable gaming.

(something must have broken, I don't seem to be posting informative messages anymore)
haha nice one
btw is the pandora hardware open source?
Like, can i get the schematics, gerber files and such?

oler said:
haha nice one
btw is the pandora hardware open source?
Like, can i get the schematics, gerber files and such?
No. There's enough information for modders to plug all kinds of stuff into it, but they want to discourage clones. They've invested a lot of money into it and would like to make back that money first.
Even if you had the schematics, it's an 8 layer board, and quite complex; you'd be hard pressed to find a shop that could produce one off for you at a reasonable price.

Back