Adata 4gb In Gp2x

ookami007

Still Fresh
I have an AData 4GB and I'm havin issues. Here's the timeline:

1) My friend formated it as a 4GB and loaded some stuff on it (MAME, etc.). The unit recognizes the stuff he loaded and I can play games off of it. <_<

2) I tried to add stuff by putting it in my computer's built-in reader. The computer said it wasn't formatted and when I tried to re-format it, it only seems to see it as a 981MB card. :blink:

3) I put the 4GB in the GP2X and connect to it with USB. The card again comes up as unformatted and when I try to format it, it comes up as only 981MB. :eek:

4) I bought a brand new multi-card reader and tried again. The card again comes up as unformatted and when I try to format it, it comes up as only 981MB. :(

Any clue what's going on, or more importantly, how can I get the true capacity of my brand new 4GB Adata card to be recognized?

Thanks!

the new upcomming firmeware will better support 4Go SD, just wait until next month

I know FAT16 can only recognize 1GB partitions, so if it was formatted in FAT16 then you have to use something like FDISK or some other partition utility to delete that partition then make a new one with 4GB then format it in FAT32.

-Kensupen

Send it back. I have two of these, and one failed just like yours. They replaced it. They're great cards when they work, but sometimes they just quit working right.

???

My card reader wouldn't recognize the card anymore. It wasn't anything I did to it. The 2x still read it, but nothing else would.

Can't speak for anyone else. ;)

I have one too, and have similar problems. Leaving the SD in the unit and using the usb cable to the gp2x shows a non-formatted 1 gig card, but when i pull it out of the unit and put it in my piece of crap reader, it works fine.

Every once in a while, it comes up as write protected and i have to take it out and put it back in again, perhaps bz i accidentally hit the switch on the side, but whatever.

Try a new reader. or a different one at least. and don't hold your breath for any new firmware ;)

Damn, am I the only one that has one of these and it's working completely fine?

Lupin posted on Sep 29 2006 at 05:18 PM said:
how is it the card reader?

There are a large number of USB readers out there that DO NOT read the 4Mb and higher flavor of cards because of the changes in the actual card. The fact that it dropped it down to a 1Mb capacity is an example of the symtoms of a faulty reader.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude I had the exact same problem, same card in all. The GP2X can't format the card to 4gb with it's built in reader. You are going to have to buy a card reader from somewhere like newegg or tigerdirect, I just bought mine for like $12, $15 with shipping. Just when you get the reader it will at first say you can only format at 981, just cancel the format half way through it and start over. It will then recognize the 4gb, something like 3.78.

Peace.

kamakazieturtle posted on Sep 29 2006 at 10:25 PM said:
Dude I had the exact same problem, same card in all. The GP2X can't format the card to 4gb with it's built in reader. You are going to have to buy a card reader from somewhere like newegg or tigerdirect, I just bought mine for like $12, $15 with shipping. Just when you get the reader it will at first say you can only format at 981, just cancel the format half way through it and start over. It will then recognize the 4gb, something like 3.78.

Peace.

One of the other threads had one for $3.00 that they say is working ... I ordered one but it has not arrived yet so I don't know. Of course I do not have my 4gb SD card yet either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a USB2.0 multi-card reader from Jessops. Formatted the card in linux with fdisk and mkfs.vfat. Works fine. However, once I put it into one of them built-in card readers in a friends windows laptop, and it annihilated my filesystem, had to do mkfs.vfat on my card again.... From what I can see, built-in readers are a bad thing.

Deleting the partition with fdisk, then trying to format it with the normal windows format thing should work... Or you could just do the lot in fdisk.

Back