4gb Sd Troubles

lintsniffer

Duke Nukem 3D = Crazy Delicious!
Website
Visit site
I have an ADATA 150x 4gb SD card for my 2x. Other people on the forum have the same card and confirmed that it works. I got my card and GP2X. I formatted the card through windows xp with the gp2x as the cardreader because I didn't know I needed a card reader and I didn't know it would make a difference. After it only formatted to 1gb (FAT32) I figured out what happened. I figured that I'd be able to over write or delete the 1gb partition once I got a card reader. I got a card reader and windows finally recognized the card as 4gb, however no utility would delete the partition, and overwriting created a 4gb partition that I could only use 1gb of.

I was talking to iignotus on aim and he said that I could fix it by formatting in Linux. I downloaded DSL - N and formatted it correctly according to the instruction iignotus got. (thanks again) I plugged the card into my computer and Windows recognized it as 4 gigs! I put my files on it and put it in my 2x and... it doesn't even recognize that I have a card in it. No files show up when I go to explorer, games, or music and pick SD. I had just used the 1gb partitioned card in the same 2x unit just before the linux format, so I don't think it's my unit.
Is there anything that could be causing this, and anyway to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

@aapje89: Can't really be a wrong filesystem. Otherwise windows wouldn't read it and write to it. Except if it was only fat but would that be an issue with a 4gig card? I would guess that something is wrong with the card itself. There has been so many people reporting that their 4gig cards only get recognized as 1gig cards...

didn't he format the card in linux with the card reader??? I don't think you can use the gp2x as a card reader in linux, can you? Well at least I never tried (so I might not know)... but that's how I understood the situation.

He's doing something wrong I think.... I got him all 4gb usable on linux (DSL), but he says Windows won't recognise it (even though it's its own partition -- Win95 Fat32 w/ LBA). He also says Windows won't format it... :unsure:

EDIT: Oh yeah, he has his own card reader, even though I'm pretty sure the gp2x can show up as an MSD.

"I formatted the card through windows xp with the gp2x as the cardreader because I didn't know I needed a card reader and I didn't know it would make a difference."

That was your first mistake.

I say warranty/RMA it.

Try to format it in windows again. Use the "fast formating" option (or however its called in the english windows version).

When i tried regular formating in windows my 2GB card had only 1 GB, the other gig was full and read/write was very slow.

Thanks for all of your help guys, but my dad ended up solving the problem (kind of)
It still isn't solved, but I can at least use the card

If I put things on the card with the card reader, the gp2x doesn't read them.
If I put things on the card using the gp2x as the reader then I can put things on and use them.

The card is 4gb, and I think I can use all of it.

Why wouldn't I be able to use a seperate card reader?

lintsniffer posted on Jul 2 2006 at 10:18 PM said:
Thanks for all of your help guys, but my dad ended up solving the problem (kind of)
It still isn't solved, but I can at least use the card

If I put things on the card with the card reader, the gp2x doesn't read them.
If I put things on the card using the gp2x as the reader then I can put things on and use them.

The card is 4gb, and I think I can use all of it.

Why wouldn't I be able to use a seperate card reader?

I think this could be because some cardreaders don't support 4GB SD cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
lintsniffer posted on Jul 2 2006 at 10:32 PM said:
If that was the case, wouldn't windows not be able to see it as a 4gb card when using the card reader?

You are right, my fault, weird :blink:

As an owner of an adata 4gb card. the way I know to get it to work is to quick format it as fat32.

back-up your stuff, and reformat it using quick format fat32, and copy your files back. if you do it right, it should work, no questions asked. if that doesn't work. get another card reader that isn't finicky. Because your reader should read it no matter what format its in.....

DSR

FlowNeppets posted on Jul 3 2006 at 11:27 AM said:
have you tried out what i suggested? it helped me with my card.
I've done everything in this thread short of get a new card reader. I can use the card fine now, but its just a little strange that I can't use the cardreader to put files on it that the gp2x can read.

Ok, I put everything on the card fine using the gp2x as a cardreader (my cardreader doesn't work, read above posts) Now, I downloaded some things I want to put on, but now its says 'cannot create xxx: Parameter is incorrect' Its formatted to 4gb and has 640mb on it now. I got this error once before when I tried to format over a 1gb partition with a 4gb one. Everytime I tried to exceed 1gb on the card, it gave me this error. But now I'm at 640mb, whats going on?

Thanks everyone, I wish this SD card would JUST WORK. I've had my gp2x and card since the end of May, and look at me now, still unable to get the damn SD CARD TO WORK! :angry:

errorcopying9qa.jpg

EDIT:
After formatting in windows, I can only put stuff on once. So I can copy 3 gigs of data onto the card, but I couldn't add anything later :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

EDIT2: I can unplug the 2x from the pc and plug it back in and add things. I did that last night, but this morning I can't add anything and I get the parameter is incorrect error. :angry:

The only thing I can suggest is picking up a new card reader at a local retailer that allows returns. Try it out on the card, if it works, you'll know the card reader was the problem. Otherwise, you can return the card reader. You should eliminate all possibilities before blaming the SD card itself.

Back