Accessing Gp2x Through Usb

bbodin

Still Fresh
I have a pre-formated (Fat32 - 4GB adata) card that my pc cardreader could read and copy files to. My gp2x can also read it and plays all my games/emulators fine.

But I try to hook up the gp2x (with card inserted) to my pc through USB and when I try to access the card it says it needs to be formatted. I can't format with gp2x (since it won't format a 4GB card) and it doesn't need formating anyways since both my card reader and the gp2x can access it. But it's troublesome because now in order to copy files, etc. I have to eject the card and copy them through the cardreader then eject and put it back in, etc. Was hoping I could just hook the whole thing up to my pc and copy as needed.

I've read some topics talking about USB connection problems...is this the issue? Am I out of luck (no way to access my card through USB and must always use my reader?)

This happens to me w/ a 2GB SD. However, it only throws the "disk is not formatted" when I try to open certain folders. No repeatable pattern that I have yet discovered.

Get SD reader? I wouldn't use it as an SD reader.
Yeah, my dad has a card reader but I'm not sure if it'll work with a 4GB card because it's older (about 2 years old I'm afraid). Does anyone know of a card reader that will definitely work with the A-Data 4GB cards, in case my dad's doesn't? Preferably, one that fits in the official carrying case along with the GP2X, if that's possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the ADATA SD card and it does the same. I guess I'm stuck pulling out the SD card and putting it in the card reader. I was just hoping that if I needed to copy some files off my GP2X onto a friend's computer, he wouldn't have to have a card reader. Oh well.

Very disturbing, because this is on the way: A-DATA Turbo 4GB Secure Digital (SD) Flash Media Model Turbo SD 150X 4G

I've read other folks have these and they work just fine...

It's even on the Wiki here:
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/SD_card_compatibility

Hrrfff. Is it because one needs an SD card reader specifically for this card, or have others gotten it to work fine with the GP2X as the wiki and forum posts around here suggest?

I've always sworn by using PCMCIA card readers, for the laptop.
WAY FASTER than USBing from gp2x

Very disturbing, because this is on the way: A-DATA Turbo 4GB Secure Digital (SD) Flash Media Model Turbo SD 150X 4G

I've read other folks have these and they work just fine...

It's even on the Wiki here:
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/SD_card_compatibility

Hrrfff. Is it because one needs an SD card reader specifically for this card, or have others gotten it to work fine with the GP2X as the wiki and forum posts around here suggest?

I think most suggest using a card reader, since the early firmware versions had a lot of connection issues with USB (based on the posts I've read anyways). So from their perspective, this card does in fact "work fine" since using a card reader you can copy files (which they had to do with most cards anyways) and the gp2x reads it fine.

The issue I have is more of an inconvenience rather than a problem, so I'm sure that's why it's listed in the compatible cards list. (of course I already had a cardreader and didn't need to purchase one seperately...I might feel differently if I didn't)

I strongly recommend a card reader.

For some reason, from my desktop machine running win2000 I can't create directories on my SD card when it's in the GP2X. Yes, it's got the 2.0 firmware. I can transfer files, but when I try to create a new directory I get an error message. With my card reader it's fine.

Well - how fun he he. We're careful with money and I spent my "allowance" on the card - ain't got no plan for something more like a $30 reader. Humm.

I'll see how it works when it arrives.

That should REALLY be reflected in the Wiki - it's misleading. I'm not changing anything until my card arrives and I can test it.

My bro just sent me a message saying that my card has arrived, so when I get home today I'm gonna try it and see how things go. I'll post an update here when I do it. By the way, is it ok to boot the GP2X with an unformatted card using firmware 2.0? Or should I stay on the safe side and only insert it after I turn it on?

My bro just sent me a message saying that my card has arrived, so when I get home today I'm gonna try it and see how things go. I'll post an update here when I do it. By the way, is it ok to boot the GP2X with an unformatted card using firmware 2.0? Or should I stay on the safe side and only insert it after I turn it on?
it will only attempt to flash if start and select are held down with 2.0.0

I bought an SD card reader before I even got my gp2x just because of my experience with the GP32

Well, I just got home, opened the package my SD card came in, inserted it in the GP2X and plugged it on the USB. When I click the "Removable disk drive" that is the GP2X, it tells me that it's not formatted, and in the format dialog gives me the option to format with only 955 megabytes >_< I'm now formatting it with that size, so I can see if it at least works. I'm gonna have to wait until my dad comes back from his trip with the card reader to see if that gives me better results... In the meantime, guess I'll be playing around with only 1 GB.

*minces lips*

Hmmm thank you for the update, Paulo! At least I won't be shocked if this happens to me. I wonder if my Tablet PC's SD reader will work on the card. The Tablet PC is 2 years old - not sure if it'll work with a 4gig SD card or not.

Do only newer readers work with these cards?

Back