Ac Adapter Inquiry

Treebiter

Still Fresh
Hello Everybody. I was hoping to save some money by reusing one of my many AC Adapters for my GP2X (which gets dispatched on friday... yay).

Long to short, would this work?:

Sony
Input: AC 230-240V, 50Hz 5W
Output: 3V, 500mA

Dunno if the input details matter, just saving time in case. It's Centre positive btw. I've a feeling I've read the GP2x is centre negative which would be an issue... Natch. If so, would switching the contacts on the adapter work?

Thanks.

Either way it's probably not powerful enough. Afaik 1000mA is required (for reliable use), and 2000 is recommended.

The tip would definitely need to be switched, but as to whether that's possible simply by pressing a swith.. I don't know.

Hello Everybody. I was hoping to save some money by reusing one of my many AC Adapters for my GP2X (which gets dispatched on friday... yay).

Long to short, would this work?:

Sony
Input: AC 230-240V, 50Hz 5W
Output: 3V, 500mA

Dunno if the input details matter, just saving time in case. It's Centre positive btw. I've a feeling I've read the GP2x is centre negative which would be an issue... Natch. If so, would switching the contacts on the adapter work?

Thanks.
No it won't :(
You need centre neg & like gnyffel says 1000mA output is required.

Best to pay out for a new one, rather than risk destroying the 2x.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blast and blast again. Thanks guys. Seems I'll have to bite the bullet and delve into my wallet... Again. Better that than bugger my new toy.

Any recommendations, or will any brand that fit the requirements suffice?

Cheers.

Play-asia do "genuine" ones pretty cheap. At least then your guaranteed that it won't toast your Jeep...

http://www.divineo.co.uk/cgi-bin/div-uk/gp2-ace

A bit pricey, but at least nobody can say that you used an incorrect adaptor if it ever konks out. Arrived 2 days from ordering, too.

I bought one but have never really used it. My Vapextech 2600 recharge-ables give me 4-5 hours every time, so I will only be using it for firmware upgrades :)

Thanks for the advice guys. Torn between the Masterplug 2500mA from the wiki and the official one. The former 's easier to get hold of, but has more chance of going wrong (the multiple settings could be a recipe for disaster).

Confused by the wiki. Read it before posting and it said the unit draws 380-480mA. That's why I assumed my adapter would work. :huh:

Thanks for the advice guys. Torn between the Masterplug 2500mA from the wiki and the official one. The former 's easier to get hold of, but has more chance of going wrong (the multiple settings could be a recipe for disaster).

Confused by the wiki. Read it before posting and it said the unit draws 380-480mA. That's why I assumed my adapter would work. :huh:

I bought one of these on promotion for 9.99
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...er&doy=10m1

pro: 2500mA, small, 120V-240V in, multiple V out
con: odd socket for tips, I bought a separate one, but it can move and cut power sometimes

Thats correct, UNLESS a program uses the second processor or enabled tv out mode. Back when the wiki was born, the only program capable of using the 2nd processor/tv out mode was the video player. So you could easily use a 500mA adaptor as long as you didn't use that software.

However, now some programs enable the second processor and tv out mode without warning, so it's best to make sure the adaptor has sufficient amperage (second processor + tv out mode uses around 780mA, so you should buy at least a 1amp capable adaptor, preferably 1.2amp or higher so high spikes of current draw don't sag the voltage output and cause the processor and lcd to do weird and wacky things).

Back