about WiFi hotspot connectivity issues...

char

hey guys, havent asked a question here in awhile. Guess thats a good thing :) My OP connects fine when im home and using my WiFi from my router. However, its a little different when i try to connect thru my hotspot on my iphone. It was WPA protected i believe but the OP doesnt load anything. PND manager wont sync and websites wont load. Any ideas why?

might be too much other noise... you tried running through terminal...

sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off

?

It might give you an extra boost.  I know I need to do this at work to get a more stable connection.

Just ruling out something, have you tried the phone on other devices?

is the DNS settings proper on the Pandora?  Auto vs some manual IP?

i have a netbook that works fine on my hotspot. you guys need to lay this out in more lamens terms for me remember. lol. also how to change dns settings?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you right click on the network connection icon, then click Edit Connections.. from there got to the Wireless tab then choose the SSID of your phone's AP name. hit the edit button. 

the DNS setting should be under IPv4 settings.. it should be set to Automatic (DHCP), but maybe the Pandora is having issues with that so you could try using the google DNS server.. to do that select Manual, then hit Add:

Enter the following into the fields:
Address: 8.8.8.8
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: This is typically shown in the Default Route field shown in Connection Information which can be found by right clicking the network connection icon in the tray. Not sure what your phone would set it to.. You can make a guess though.. for example if my router gave me an IP address of 192.168.0.23 my Gateway would be 192.168.0.1  ( so typically it's the first 3 numbers of your IP address with a 1 instead)

sorry to hijack this thread but I got a question on a related subject...

when I activate the wifi connection on my pandora I have to wait a seemengly random time between 20seconds to over 2minutes for the connection to be established...

Is it normal?

Is there a way to speed up that?

It almost look like the pandora seek connection by polling every few minutes...

Have a similar problem with my Nokia E90 comunicator.

It's only WEP.

Pandora is in connection loop while My Laptop has no problems.

For me I not have been connected to any other Wifi during the session I Want to connect to the Phone.

If so I have to reboot and after a fresh reboot I can connect (with a little luck) with my Pandora.

Also I have to connect twice.

The first time it tries to connect but fails.

The second time it works.

Maybe you have to do some of these "tricks" as well.

Please don't ask me why that strange stuff happens with Phone Wifi but it does.

when I activate the wifi connection on my pandora I have to wait a seemengly random time between 20seconds to over 2minutes for the connection to be established...
Is it normal?

Yes, mine does that too (though it rarely takes much more than 45 seconds or so).  I don't know too much abot Wifi, but I assume the router only broadcasts its presence every so often, judging by the way lists of APs populate.  It may be possible to configure the router to broadcast this info more often, or I suspect some devices cache the SSID and frequencies and stuff from last time and try to connect using those details.  No idea if that's a viable solution for the Pandora/Pyra.

Is it normal?

Yes, mine does that too (though it rarely takes much more than 45 seconds or so).  I don't know too much abot Wifi, but I assume the router only broadcasts its presence every so often, judging by the way lists of APs populate.  It may be possible to configure the router to broadcast this info more often, or I suspect some devices cache the SSID and frequencies and stuff from last time and try to connect using those details.  No idea if that's a viable solution for the Pandora/Pyra.
There's this:
Probe Request
Probe request is used to actively seek any, or a particular, access point or BSS.

Probe Response
Probe response replies with station parameters and supported data rates.

So devices don't need to passively wait for the AP to broadcast it's presence.
I think the problem could be that Pandora "misses" the response due to Wifi errors or something, meaning it needs to wait until the next scan is performed to try to "catch" the missing AP (but it might miss it again though).

I think I have found the solution for the problem, but it would be great if someone has an explanation for this issue:

Turn off the USB host.

Usually my Pandora connects properly, even on other universities. Our university has the probably worst WLAN of the country. Even if kismet shows me a pretty good signal, I cannot connect. Yesterday, I finally turned off the USB host and Voilà!

I think I have found the solution for the problem, but it would be great if someone has an explanation for this issue:

Turn off the USB host.

Usually my Pandora connects properly, even on other universities. Our university has the probably worst WLAN of the country. Even if kismet shows me a pretty good signal, I cannot connect. Yesterday, I finally turned off the USB host and Voilà!
Can you reproduce it ?

Turn off the USB host.

Can you reproduce it ?
That depends on your view.

I tried connecting for about an hour untill I found that fix. I can also try it tomorrow in another room there.

However, since I only have that issue there, I cannot really reproduce it.

...Maybe one thing I should add:

The encryption is WPA Enterprise, PEAP.

Back