About The Pd Roms Competition

I think I already explained my point of view which should have been read before telling again that there is no statement.

Fact is: Fenix is a lot easier to code/use
Result: C/C++ or ASM coders have an disadvantage. For console/handheld Fenix is only avaliable for GP32 and Dreamcast so why should i fuck off coders of the following systems: Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Color, Intellivision, Neo Geo Pocket Classic, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Odyssey 2, Wonderswan Classic, Wonderswan Color, Game Gear, NES, Master System, Pokemon Mini, Watara Supervision,Gameboy Advance, Megadrive, PC Engine, SNES, Arcade Hardware (NeoGeo, NeoGeo CD, CPS1, Sega 32x)

Fact is: Fenix can not produce one FILE FXE's
Result: You have a lots of hassle to pull all required files to a SMC and get the correct runtime lib. We try to have the results out as soon as possible... and not to copy files around.

Fact is: Fenix produces a too large file. If you use sound Fenix is using WAV's! Boosts everything even more up

There are around 30-40 Fenix coder which would be in the position to create an entry, if i take an average of 2MB for one entry and 1/2 of the Fenix coders are having an entry count around 40MB just for Fenix games. Someone has to pay the traffic fees... and I am sure not only one person is interested in the submissions. Fenix would have been perfect if it would be better optimized for size and handling, but this isn't the case.

I don't think people are happy to have hughe files on their SMC which limits the already limited space.

So the three main reasons: Fenix is easier to use than c/c++ or asm, Fenix produces too large files, Fenix does not output single FXE's

I don't see a point giving a disadvantage to coders who really hardcode their game.

Believe me I thought long about if I should permit Fenix or not. Permitting Fenix submission would give an additional boost of entries... but still... I have to keep everything as fair and as easy as possible.

But just saying in the rules "The use of FENIX for any platform is prohibited! If you do not know what FENIX is do not bother with this rule." is a bit weird. I would have expected a good explanation (at least any, instead of "don`t bother"), if there would have been any, I wouldn`t have opened this thread.
If I explain every rule then you can read a 50 page A4 manual before starting to code at all...

I think that`s some kind of racism  You bad language, Fenix, your small and easy. I`m C++, big and mighty, I squash you with all I`ve got...
I have to make sure that everyone has an almost same chance to win something. You are complaining about something which makes everything more fair.

Please don`t think I`m going in offense for your competition, Kojote, I really like them.
Why don't you start understanding my points then?

Kojote posted on Mar 22 2005 at 07:32 PM said:
I think I already explained my point of view which should have been read before telling again that there is no statement.

Fact is: Fenix is a lot easier to code/use
Result: C/C++ or ASM coders have an disadvantage. For console/handheld Fenix is only avaliable for GP32 and Dreamcast so why should i fuck off coders of the following systems: Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Color, Intellivision, Neo Geo Pocket Classic, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Odyssey 2, Wonderswan Classic, Wonderswan Color, Game Gear, NES, Master System, Pokemon Mini, Watara Supervision,Gameboy Advance, Megadrive, PC Engine, SNES, Arcade Hardware (NeoGeo, NeoGeo CD, CPS1, Sega 32x)

Fact is: Fenix can not produce one FILE FXE's
Result: You have a lots of hassle to pull all required files to a SMC and get the correct runtime lib. We try to have the results out as soon as possible... and not to copy files around.

Fact is: Fenix produces a too large file. If you use sound Fenix is using WAV's! Boosts everything even more up

There are around 30-40 Fenix coder which would be in the position to create an entry, if i take an average of 2MB for one entry and 1/2 of the Fenix coders are having an entry count around 40MB just for Fenix games. Someone has to pay the traffic fees... and I am sure not only one person is interested in the submissions. Fenix would have been perfect if it would be better optimized for size and handling, but this isn't the case.

I don't think people are happy to have hughe files on their SMC which limits the already limited space.

So the three main reasons: Fenix is easier to use than c/c++ or asm, Fenix produces too large files, Fenix does not output single FXE's

I don't see a point giving a disadvantage to coders who really hardcode their game.

Believe me I thought long about if I should permit Fenix or not. Permitting Fenix submission would give an additional boost of entries... but still... I have to keep everything as fair and as easy as possible.

But just saying in the rules "The use of FENIX for any platform is prohibited! If you do not know what FENIX is do not bother with this rule." is a bit weird. I would have expected a good explanation (at least any, instead of "don`t bother"), if there would have been any, I wouldn`t have opened this thread.
If I explain every rule then you can read a 50 page A4 manual before starting to code at all...

I think that`s some kind of racism  You bad language, Fenix, your small and easy. I`m C++, big and mighty, I squash you with all I`ve got...
I have to make sure that everyone has an almost same chance to win something. You are complaining about something which makes everything more fair.

Please don`t think I`m going in offense for your competition, Kojote, I really like them.
Why don't you start understanding my points then?

kojote...

I was not debating the rules of your comp - and I and im sure quiest does not want to change your rules... dont worry!

I see the C++ debate as snobbery... thats all :D

I dont think this thread was intended to slag off you or your compo - just maybe point out that there are not many fenix comps to enter!

IMO you should make seperate categories for each coding system...

sPaCe :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, thanks for answering my question.

I understand your points, Kojote, but I didn`t agree with one of them. :p

It`s okay, as there will be a Fenix compo...

Back