Able to upgrade not just the speed but manufacturer of CPU?

Oh nice.
But I mean x86/AMD64 one :(
should be in the wild this year or on next year beginning

No need x86.

Just want x86.

very want Risc-V ;)

I just want the best performance (CPU & GPU) per Watt, with full library Debian compatibility, fully documented, few or no binary blobs, support for all of the Pyra's ports & connections, running inside of the available thermal envelope, even if that means under clocking it.

If there were a tie for those characteristics, I would lean more towards X86 compatibility as it opens some options. I'm nearly architecture agnostic. Simply give full consideration to all available options at the time it becomes relevant - which may be a few years.

More OpenSource means more ARM support means more demand for OpenSource.
It's just like with Linux GFX drivers and Linux gaming.

Well, there is one really promising looking one coming up:

i.MX8 QuadMax

It has samples available early next year and while not much about size / power consumption is known yet, it will have a consumer version which is rated up to 105°C, so it can't eat that much power...

Sounds promising, could be the very first CPU upgrade board we'll have for the Pyra. But we need to wait first for more details (and it'll still take quite a while after the Pyra has been released before the CPU board will be ready).

i.MX8 QuadMax

It has samples available early next year and while not much about size / power consumption is known yet, it will have a consumer version which is rated up to 105°C, so it can't eat that much power...

Sounds promising, could be the very first CPU upgrade board we'll have for the Pyra. But we need to wait first for more details (and it'll still take quite a while after the Pyra has been released before the CPU board will be ready).
I can tell you right now that I would probably buy that.

i.MX8 QuadMax
Its most attractive feature to me seems to be the ability to decode (and output?) h265 in 4k. Should the Pyra's mainboard be able to transport a 4k signal (ideally at 60 fps) via the HDMI output?

it will have a consumer version which is rated up to 105°C, so it can't eat that much power...
I don't get the connection. From what I've read about the A53 [1] I'd also expect it to be pretty efficient.
But how do you deduce power drain from temperature rating without any info about the implementation of heat dissipation?

[1] http://www.arm.com/products/processors/cortex-a/cortex-a53-processor.php

i.MX8 QuadMax

28nm FDSOI process? Well that's certainly different, I'll give them that. Should be more efficient than what OMAP5 is made on but probably not as efficient as the FinFET processes.

i.MX8 QuadMax

Yes, looks promising. For me it depends on price and how many blobs it requires and what happens without them. Freescale has a good track record in this, but I don't know after NXP bought them (good still?) and there're rumours Qualcomm may be buying NXP soon. Qualcomm has good 3D drivers, but not because of their work but volunteer Rob Clarke (and more people, hopefully). But Qualcomm SOCs with modems are told to have poor isolation (and the modem software is proprietary as usual). But the iMX8 doesn't have a modem and looks designed by Freescale more than NXP or Qualcomm, so all fine there.

It looks like graphics are going to be vivante GC7000XSVX. Let's hope etnaviv continues to evolve to support that.

Looks good.

But there's still the first Pyra version to finish first. Keep up the good work.

i.MX8 QuadMax

Looks nice :)

Yeah looks nice. 64-bit arm with USB support, PCI lanes support and DDR4 support. Nice to have. hopefully would have good performance on wine/qemu (since not all games are availible for linux). Also I hope it wouldn't heat too much (you already said somewhere that 5W TDP is not low one for Pyra. So maybe CPU-board with it and 8GB or even 16GB of ram?
would it be months or years for cpu-board for it would be complete? would it be binary compatible with current CPU-board? (So we can still use software on SD-cards (fixme: eMMC is on cpu board and is not replaceable, so a boot enviroment have to be replaced anyway with new CPU-board?)

Its most attractive feature to me seems to be the ability to decode (and output?) h265 in 4k. Should the Pyra's mainboard be able to transport a 4k signal (ideally at 60 fps) via the HDMI output?[/URL]
The main board mostly just passes through pins on the CPU board to external ports and internal chips, as I understand it, so it's all down to how much bandwidth the traces on the CPU/main board can carry, which I don't anticipate to be a limiting feature for 4k video.

which I don't anticipate to be a limiting feature for 4k video.
HDMI 2.0 squeezes 6 Gbit/s through each color channel to achieve 4K @60Hz, that's an insane transmission frequency. Such high frequencies are easy to disturb, I wouldn't underestimate this issue.

HDMI 2.0 squeezes 6 Gbit/s through each color channel to achieve 4K @60Hz, that's an insane transmission frequency. Such high frequencies are easy to disturb, I wouldn't underestimate this issue.
That's exactly my point.
I know we'll have to wait for actual tests to be sure, but right now I think Nikolaus can make the best guess. And maybe ED knows his guess.

Back