Just upgrade current board to dual>quad

kingoddball

I'm sure this has been mentioned 1000 times, is there any reason why we can't just keep the current Pandora and upgrade the internals? LCD + Board, just board. Whatever. I'm happy with the OP as it. Faster wouId be great. CubieBoard v2 is exactly the same as the gen1 just a new cpu dropped it. I'm sure upgrading from OMAP3 > 4 or 5 won't work like that, but why reinvent the wheel?

I'm happy to pay for an upgrade board similar to what was on offer on EDs site before (not sure if it's available anymore).

You won't need to pump $$££ into case design, keep the same LCD (or upgrade - whatever!) and it's just a matter of PCB design.

I'm ok with the keyboard - would rather a solid plastic with metal caps under, but that's not a hard problem to fix - add metal keyboard caps to the PCB? A daughter board?

Hmmm....

Yeah, this has been mentioned x million times already, there's no upgrade path for the OMAP. Please check previous posts on the subject. 

"just a matter of PCB design" - don't take these statements lightly. PCB design is what's the most complex. It's not like replacing a chip by another, especially when you go for a different chip. 

How do the cheap allwinner chips do it?

When from the All winner (A8 Clone?) > Dual Core with the same board.

I wont remember revisions, I have not used the AW chips.

(Mods) Please delete this thread :)

you mean like from the opam3530 to the dm3730(my numbers might be off) that has been done already?

Nah. Current gen to Next.

All good.

The All winner chips (some anyhow) seem to be an easy upgrade > Previous gen to current gen with no board changes.

Nah. Current gen to Next.

All good.

The All winner chips (some anyhow) seem to be an easy upgrade > Previous gen to current gen with no board changes.
From wikipedia :

The Allwinner A1X kernel source code is available at https://github.com/linux-sunxi/linux-sunxi. At the moment, stable support is limited to 3.0.x kernels.

3.0X kernel support for Linux won't do. 

Upgrading the screen would require a new case mould, which would be extremely expensive

Back