Abduction 2

kevcal

Coding " Abduction;Retrieval "
Website
homepage.ntlworld.com
Hi,

Well thought this could be of some interest to someone somewhere and there's not much GP2X traffic any more so thought I'd release an executable of 'Abduction 2' (can't do any harm).

This was to be a follow-on to 'Abduction' but be a cross between oids, defender and asteroids ... (it started as a test for my new new tile engine).

Unfortunately (and this is embarrassing as I've been writing software professionally for 28 years) I lost virtually all the source code (month-old backup only).

Anyway, thought I'd post how far I'd got just to see if there was much interest and whether that would rekindle my interest to to try rewriting it (pretty much) from scratch.

Enjoy blasting(!)

Kev

Orion4874 said:
Can't seem to get it work. All I get is a black screen with a buzzing sound and I have to restart the unit. Running FW 4.0.0
Thanks for the feedback.. weird as it runs on my f100-gp2x (I'm using open2x v0.10-test4, but that shouldn't have any benefit...).
Anyone else have any comments?

Last edited by a moderator:
Works on my F-200 with Open2X DR7.

It runs faster (than intended) when RAM timings is turned on. :eek:

Thanks for sharing, and any support for the GP2X is really appreciated. :)

Orion4874 said:
Strange, maybe I should try installing Open2x? Anyone else with official firmware tried it?
Can't think of any reason why this shouldn't work on your firmware... does my original Abduction work?

And thanks Manjuu - will try to piece together some of the code again as I had a lot of plans for this...
and yeah, it currently runs as fast as possible - no loop timing control :)

kevcal said:
Orion4874 said:
Strange, maybe I should try installing Open2x? Anyone else with official firmware tried it?
Can't think of any reason why this shouldn't work on your firmware... does my original Abduction work?

And thanks Manjuu - will try to piece together some of the code again as I had a lot of plans for this...
and yeah, it currently runs as fast as possible - no loop timing control :)
Ok, I got it working. It was a firmware thing, updated to 4.1.0 and it works fine now. Abduction 1 ran with no problems before I updated btw. Very cool games!!!

Orion4874 said:
Ok, I got it working. It was a firmware thing, updated to 4.1.0 and it works fine now. Abduction 1 ran with no problems before I updated btw. Very cool games!!!
Thankyou :) and thanks for trying that.
Have looked on every PC, memory-stick, etc that I have and cannot find the source code :(
Will endeavour to recreate it from scratch...... may take a little while.

EDIT:
Just out of interest I now have the tile-engine running (better than before) and the ship flying round with the camera following correctly (ie the faster you go, the more screen is displayed ahead of you) as well as the initial 'shot' class created...

Back