A Touch Screen ?

sorry, but nearly every possible aspect of the Pandora has been disscussed in the original forums. When they are back up you should look/search throught them.

Edit: and yes, it does have a touch screen.

Sorry, but i did a short research and i saw no one talking about the touch screen possibilities.

EDIT : thanks for the "moved"
EDIT : aw, into the ORIGINAL forum. OK :)

Antoligy said:
Is this touchscreen multi-touch?

I'm guessing not. There are hardly any devices out there that utilize multi-touch and I'm pretty sure it's patented in some form and would be more expensive to produce such LCD panels.

EDIT: It uses a resistive touch screen, the same as most PDAs.

Antoligy said:
No. From Google cache:
I'm certain the Pandora touchscreen is resistive. Resistive touchscreens cannot do multitouch, but they can do a half-assed pressure sensing.

Resistive screens work by having two electrically conductive sheets of plastic sitting on top of the screen, but not quite touching each other. When you touch the screen you are pressing the top layer down so it contacts the lower layer. Based on the resistance measured between the upper and lower layers, the device can calculate the location of contact. The down side is that the resistance can be thrown off by things like heat, moisture and time, so occasional recalibration is necessary.

Pressing harder on the top layer will cause more of it to contact the lower layer, and this will change the resistance of the connection. Based on this change, the device can infer the amount of pressure applied. There are significant inaccuracies in this method, though. For instance, a light tap with something wide and soft (like a fingertip) will cause a larger contact patch then even a very hard tap by something small and hard (like a stylus). This makes useful pressure sensitivity much more problematic, though not impossible.

Chip said:
Antoligy said:
No. From Google cache:
I'm certain the Pandora touchscreen is resistive. Resistive touchscreens cannot do multitouch, but they can do a half-assed pressure sensing.

Resistive screens work by having two electrically conductive sheets of plastic sitting on top of the screen, but not quite touching each other. When you touch the screen you are pressing the top layer down so it contacts the lower layer. Based on the resistance measured between the upper and lower layers, the device can calculate the location of contact. The down side is that the resistance can be thrown off by things like heat, moisture and time, so occasional recalibration is necessary.

Pressing harder on the top layer will cause more of it to contact the lower layer, and this will change the resistance of the connection. Based on this change, the device can infer the amount of pressure applied. There are significant inaccuracies in this method, though. For instance, a light tap with something wide and soft (like a fingertip) will cause a larger contact patch then even a very hard tap by something small and hard (like a stylus). This makes useful pressure sensitivity much more problematic, though not impossible.
This rudimentary kind of pressure sensitivity works rather well for less sophisticated drawing applications, the kind you'd want to use on a pocket computer. Mypaint (http://mypaint.intilinux.com/) has been ported to the Nokia N8xx platform and it works nicely as a pressure sensitive sketching app.

I highly suggest anyone interested in porting a drawing app to look into Mypaint.

It's the same screen as the archos 605, do some research on that device.

For the less tech savvy, a resistive touch screen is the same type a DS has. so that means applications like colors are possible.
i was always fascinated by the technology in my wacom tablets, so when I got my first 'resistive' touch screen device (earlier i left it out, it was a basic pda) I felt 'ripped off' because it didn't have the style that the wacoms did.

Karel Jansens said:
I highly suggest anyone interested in porting a drawing app to look into Mypaint.

I wouln't. It's a nice application, but IMHO it's just not usable for anything but doodles. Can you show any decent images made in mypaint? I'd much rather see a simple application like colors!, or any of the oekaki-style java applets. To me they are a lot more usable.

Although this is probably a matter of taste...

teppic said:
Karel Jansens said:

I wouln't. It's a nice application, but IMHO it's just not usable for anything but doodles. Can you show any decent images made in mypaint? I'd much rather see a simple application like colors!, or any of the oekaki-style java applets. To me they are a lot more usable.

I strongly agree. oekaki apps are good for doodles and serious pieces of work

pandora said:
sorry, but nearly every possible aspect of the Pandora has been disscussed in the original forums. When they are back up you should look/search throught them.

Edit: and yes, it does have a touch screen.

That's classic. Before we had "Search the forum" now we have "Search the dead forum".

:lol:

teppic said:
Karel Jansens said:

I'm thinking that Java will be ported to Pandora right quick so you should be able to run the Java applet (dowload = http://colors.collectingsmiles.com/downloads.php how do you do the text thing in this forum?)
Well that's what I think I'll do at first.

I'm thinking that Java will be ported to Pandora right quick so you should be able to run the Java applet (dowload = http://colors.collectingsmiles.com/downloads.php how do you do the text thing in this forum?)
Well that's what I think I'll do at first.

Isn't the Java app just for playback of .drw files? created with colors and converting to .avi?
Someone really needs to talk to Jen over at collectingSmiles abot getting the source and porting this, I can imagine this (or any similar app, even a pandora optimized version of GIMP) could bring over a bunch of the artist community who don't care as much about gaming, or can't justify the cost for just games. That is after all the reason I bought my homebrew DS lite... (although I do slack and use it more for gaming then quick sketches when I am bored, I have a Cintiq for when I really want to get into drawing, but the DS is nice when I'm on the road) and the notion that inevitably someone would port something similar convinced me for the Pandora as well (I swear, I'm not getting it for the games ::cough:Ultima VIII::cough::monkey Island::)

im growing out the nail of the index finger on my right hand, and trimming it slightly so that it has about a 2 mm point. hopefully it will work well.

I think it has drawing, art discussions on "how to do bigger/better pictures" usually end up with "touch up in the Java applett"
I will drop Jen a line and see if collecting smiles would be interested in a pandora port or at least a source release.

ashdjones said:
That's classic. Before we had "Search the forum" now we have "Search the dead forum".
Funny. :D

It's not dead though, and the visitor figures there are often higher than here, although there are a lot of threads getting posted to here.

I have wondered how easy it is / isn't going to be drawing on a small screen on the top part of the clam. Gonna be fun trying, either way.

I think it has drawing, art discussions on "how to do bigger/better pictures" usually end up with "touch up in the Java applett"
I will drop Jen a line and see if collecting smiles would be interested in a pandora port or at least a source release.
Way ahead of you, asked just over a week ago, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to show some more interest on the collectingsmiles forums. Jen is interested, kind of... Here is the reply to my inquiry over there.

Hey Bitz,

No worries. Any suggestions are appreciated and that's a big part of what the forums are for.

We talk about new potential platforms all the time for Colors!. As I'm sure you'll agree, there is a potential for a great painting-program on almost every new platform that comes out. Personally, I'd like to see Colors! on all of those, but obviously we need to pick the ones we believe most in. Homebrew-DS was is ideal in many ways since we could get pressure-sensitivity out of it, and iPhone was chosen because it has a huge install-base and the App Store.

That being said, I've also peeked at Pandora. It looks like a great platform and I'd love to see Colors! on it. The downside is that there isn't a very big install-base on it, so I don't see myself getting one just yet. Of course, if anyone would want to do the porting, they should definitly contact me.

Also I have no idea how to wrap names into the quote tags

Back