A recount of our time together thus far

I hardly know anything about hardware, does this post mean that this nub behavior is likely to exist on other Pandoras, too?

If so, putting an "official calibration dance" instruction into the "Nubs" application might decrease support cases.

I'm actually really curious on this point myself. I know one other fellow was having the same symptoms (fr4n), but beyond that I'm unsure.

If someone else with a pandora would test this out for me, I'd appreciate it.

Reboot your device and boot into XFCE without touching the nubs. Once you have a mouse cursor (no need to wait for xfce to fully boot), move the left nub to the right all the way, let go. Move it to the Right-Up, let go. Mive it to the Right-Down, let go. Then move it the other directions one at a time. Once finished, check the left nub is calibrated normally, or if moving it to the right does not function normally.

The three specific "malfunction" scenarios I had been experiencing were these:

1. All directions except pure right work. Right-Up perfect, Right-Down perfect, pure right at 50% speed.

2. Pure right does nothing. Right-Up and Right-Down move the nub move the cursor up and down only.

3. Pure right actually moves the nub left slowly. Right-Up and Right-Down move the cursor up or down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually really curious on this point myself. I know one other fellow was having the same symptoms (fr4n), but beyond that I'm unsure.

If someone else with a pandora would test this out for me, I'd appreciate it.

Reboot your device and boot into XFCE without touching the nubs. Once you have a mouse cursor (no need to wait for xfce to fully boot), move the left nub to the right all the way, let go. Move it to the Right-Up, let go. Mive it to the Right-Down, let go. Then move it the other directions one at a time. Once finished, check the left nub is calibrated normally, or if moving it to the right does not function normally.

The three specific "malfunction" scenarios I had been experiencing were these:

1. All directions except pure right work. Right-Up perfect, Right-Down perfect, pure right at 50% speed.

2. Pure right does nothing. Right-Up and Right-Down move the nub move the nub up and down only.

3. Pure right actually moves the nub left slowly. Right-Up and Right-Down move the cursor up or down.
Then, what about making a new thread for this with a fitting title so the data pool will increase (i.e. more people with a Pandora will read it)?

Probably a good idea, but sheer laziness is winning at the moment. If nobody responds then I will. :p

I'll definitely edit the wiki with the information if I find out it's common to more devices than just mine and fr4n's.

You've kept a very level head about troubleshooting, and helped several people so far!

I don't have my unit yet, but I've been reading all these threads on usage just to be prepared.

I am curious, I think it's been covered before, but is there *any* way to talk to the nubs through software?

Could there possibly be an autocalibration script, a "remember last good calibration", or a command-line to manually enter the ranges in case it acts up like this?

I believe I remember reading the nubs have their own firmware to control calibration internally, which is very interesting. I'd figured it would configure through something like jscal.

EDIT: I've now searched and re-read some of the older nub posts, I gather the newest nubs don't require manual calibration each boot?

Still, I'm curious about the interaction between the nubs and software. But perhaps this would be something more for Support, or Software. No intention of derailing here.

Mainly all I wanted to say is, nice review! Very helpful with the troubleshooting.

Back