A Rambling Review of the Pandora after ~5 days of Incessant Tinkering

Agreed. Well-written and a good read. I agree with you that the d-pad is killer.

I think the problem with the adapter is that it might be USB 1.1, but the Pandora only supports USB 2.0 on its full-sized port. If you use a USB 2.0/1.1 hub, it might work.

Thanks David and Mario

I think the problem with the adapter is that it might be USB 1.1, but the Pandora only supports USB 2.0 on its full-sized port. If you use a USB 2.0/1.1 hub, it might work.

Oh I know that all of the input devices I used are 1.1 - both the ones that did work and the USB adapter that didn't work. I used a hub for them all.

Speaking of which, I think it's worthwhile to add that you can just as easily access USB drives as well. it's pretty sweet to be able to say that i was able to access my 2tb hard drive from my pandora

One issue I've had with my Pandora over the past few days is that if I try to carry it around with me throughout the day, it almost invariably ends up getting turned on and draining battery at some point. It ends up booted to the boot select screen, which is what you get when you turn it on while holding the R button. It does this regardless of whether it's in the case or just in my pocket. It's completely powered off as well, not just sleeping....

Sounds like you might have a problem with a loose battery, if the Pandora battery is removed and then reinserted then the machine will switch itself on. Other people have had this problem and have had some success by inserting a bit of paper between the battery & the battery cover which ensures the battery & contacts remain in place.

Great review BTW. :)

What I'm most impressed with, though, is the D-Pad. Ever since I became a fan of vertical scrolling shmups, danmaku in particular, and 2d fighting games, d-pads have become extremely important to me. D-Pads are also the reason I got rid of my DS lite and stopped using my PSP Phat for anything other than the Phantasy Star Portable games long ago. But the Pandora's d-pad is great. It's probably my single favorite thing about the Pandora. If not, it's definitely close. I can easily pull off Hadoukens all day with this. Anybody who's every played anything on the d-pad of the Phat PSP or the official Xbox 360 controller will learn quickly how important a good d-pad is.

That is absolutely fabulous for someone like me :)

hopefully the 1st day orders are near the end, and my waiting will come to an end soon..

Kisses

Mac

Back