A Question About Mame And High Scores, If I May Ask. :)

Prometheus

I did a bit of searching for this, but couldn't seem to find any results. Whilst I know it's a trivial matter in the big picture, I was just curious as to whether the version of MAME that's been ported to the Pandora supports high score saving. (I still use a version of MAME that does this and really appreciate the feature, and I also appreciate it in the Wii Virtual Console Arcade titles I've purchased.)

The reason I became curious about this is because at times I have a bit of an addiction to Mappy, Ms. Pac-Man, Bubble Bobble, and sometimes Asteroids, but don't know anyone else locally who has an interest in, and plays, classic arcade games, so the only high scores I have to beat are my own. I'd love to be able to compete against the scores of others, you see. :lol:

Many thanks to anyone who is able to take the time to answer this. :)

Prometheus said:
I did a bit of searching for this, but couldn't seem to find any results. Whilst I know it's a trivial matter in the big picture, I was just curious as to whether the version of MAME that's been ported to the Pandora supports high score saving. (I still use a version of MAME that does this and really appreciate the feature, and I also appreciate it in the Wii Virtual Console Arcade titles I've purchased.)

The reason I became curious about this is because at times I have a bit of an addiction to Mappy, Ms. Pac-Man, Bubble Bobble, and sometimes Asteroids, but don't know anyone else locally who has an interest in, and plays, classic arcade games, so the only high scores I have to beat are my own. I'd love to be able to compete against the scores of others, you see. :lol:

Many thanks to anyone who is able to take the time to answer this. :)

I'm with you on this, Prometheus. Unfortunately I am incredibly cynical, and so all I can see happening is people editing their game files to have unrealisticly astronomical high-scores!

Last edited by a moderator:
Current versions of MAME use savestates to retain high scores instead of the old "highscore.dat" feature. Just change your MAME shortcut to use the -autosave parameter and the game's state will be saved upon exit. This will include your high scores.

Not every game supports save states yet, though. In that case, The highscore.dat functionality can be easily added back to pretty much any version of MAME with the diffs found at: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=64298.0

Ah, awesome, thanks very much 3vi1 - whilst I knew about the diffs, I didn't know about the -autosave parameter. (I don't bother with any of the current versions because the one I have - xmame SDL 0.106, coupled with kxmame - runs what I own pretty much perfectly, I must admit. :lol: )

I take it that that applies to all platforms, and therefore could be used on the Pandora, then? :)

Back