A Linux Conspiracy Theory.

As usual all the Linux jargon prevented me from reading the whole thing . I'm assuming it boils down to  corperates controlling all the Linux doodads and stuff right ?

I though the age-old defence against corporate invasion of open source stuff was to fork and move on.

Oracle trying to close O:-||? Create LO!

Why can't the same be applied here

Dump most of the corporate rubbish and go back to the nice flexible community-deved stuff...!

Unfortunately, Red-Hat has it's importance in the average Linux Joe's mind, and is blindly backed by another distros.

interesting read, a bit depressing but I can't write software, so it seems like it is a take what you get situation.

I though the age-old defence against corporate invasion of open source stuff was to fork and move on.

Oracle trying to close O:-||? Create LO!

Why can't the same be applied here

Dump most of the corporate rubbish and go back to the nice flexible community-deved stuff...!
I know this was only the shell but isn't cinnamon a first step?

this articles seems to be focusing on not the kernel but the distros and DEs, I think the kernel is safe from corporate tampering.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just use Fedora and XFCE4.. If you find something unusable, just use something different. Personally I find Gnome and KDE unusable, you can count Unity in that list too.

thats really troubeling.

how could systemed get integrated so deeply when its not even open source/ GPL licensed? Sounds like Linus and the kernel devs got tricked by integrating it first and then being dependent on Red Hat's support.

that could get pretty bad. What would be a sutable counteraction? spreading the word? a free foundation maintaining an developing GTK+ and such? cleaning the Linux kernel? developing a sytemed comptetitor?

My Pandora fills most of my computing needs any how ( I'm typing on it now ! ) , except video watching ( which can be somewhat laggy even at 900 mhz ... ) which can be nice because I can spend hours upon hours on the couch reading articles and playing the mini slug project and arkanoid remake and perpetually putting off bringing in the firewood .

Back