Grrr... Networking Sucks.

NssOne

I am One with the DarkNss
Website
www.gp32us.com
Yeah, networking is a bitch, it sucks ass.

Problem: Making a PC running Win2K network to a PC running Red Hat Linux 9.

I apparently have two networks. One is a Windows Workgroup, the other is the network of my samba server running on RH9. I can't connect to it. My instructor and I had it working on his laptop over the school's network, but now I can't figure out what I have to do with my Win2k to get it work.

I'm kind of ranting here, but maybe somebody here knows how to help me. I never messed with Linux before so I know crap about it except what my instructor has helped me learn or what I got from linuxquestions.org.

What exactly is your problem?
I have Suse Linux 8.2 with Samba and my Windows XP workstation running together fine :)

Just some quick checks:

- Samba installed and correctly running?
- Don't forget NetBIOS!
- User is correctly configured (not only in Linux but also in Samba. Use smbpasswd -a <username> to add a user in Samba)?
- The Workgroup is the same on both PCs?
- The Netmask allows the connection?
(i.e. if you have the same IP Range like 192.168.2.x, a Netmask 255.255.255.0 works... if you have it like 192.168.x.x, you'll need at least a Netmask of 255.255.0.0)

- PING works already? Only with IP or also with computer's name?

Another quick note:
The user name and password has to be the same on both machines!
"Connect as..." in Windows apparently doesn't work, the USER HAS TO BE LOGGED IN!!!

Ok, forgot about the whole workgroup thing. But now I'm in the workgroup, but it's still not accessible, just says '\\Tom (name of the box) is not accessible.' I thik I know what I'm missing from my system, but I can't find my Win2k cd.... :sigh:

EDIT: Still not understanding what's wrong here... Had it working, but I can't get it working now at home.

Back