The Universe in a Nutshell

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
From Newton to String theory to Dark Energy.  I good high-level summary video highlighting the progression in Physics and current understanding of the Universe

I should note that the current accepted theory of everything (sort of) is M-Theory which is an expansion on String Theory and predicts the existence of 11 dimensions. At least 5 string theories existed previously which had differing attributes which was an issue for String Theories credibility. M-Theory solved this issue.

You can skip to 7:50 , it doesn't really start until then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NbBjNiw4tk

Last edited by a moderator:
nutshelluniverse.jpg

vcoleiro: That was just about the best high-level summary of the subject I've seen. Thanks for sharing!

I've seen many documentations about astronomy and astrophysics and still wonder if there is only one without Michio Kaku :)

That's the guy who builds Super-Suits and Super Weapons and Spaceships...in theory. :D I've seen many documentaries with him, always entertaining. ^^

"The Universe in a Nutshell" is also a book from Stephen Hawking I've reada couple of times. I still didn't understand it buy maybe I have to read it even more often?

Yeah, Harald Lesch is the German Michio Kaku :)

I remember him getting a bit furious in "Alpha Centauri" when he was talking about the string theory. He seems not to be a follower of that 11-dimensions-thing... (at least wasn't back that time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7y7fMW_ArI

his take on dark matter (a bit outdated but still interesting).

heh, if there's one thing true about our existence it's that it's utterly fantastic. it's such a shame that the majority of earth's population does not care for the "big picture" and does not recognize how insignificant we really are.

Is there more? I want more.  ^_^

Sad the last video is in german.  :(

Edit: Why did I study Fine Arts? I should have gone for physics...   <_<

Sooooooooo COOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!

If every part of the Universe is the center of the Universe, then everyone of us is the center toooooo!!!!!!!    :D

Every subatomic particle is the center! YES! YES! YES!!!

Our solar system is a Vortex! EVERYTHING is a Vortex!  ..... Hmm... now I want to know more about string theory and M theory... why a vibrating band? Surely, .... an oscillating vortex?

I need more!!!!!    :D

Theory: Every subatomic particle *is* the entire omniverse...?

Theory: There is only 1 particle... (not 1 type, but 1 'state of being' that encompasses all possible perspectives / projections of itself)

Edit: Oh... My... God...!!!  Sirius is a RED star!!??? RED!    :blink:

...This is huge! I believe I may have slightly misinterpreted one of my earliest memories.... *excited beyond belief* 

So much beauty in the dark. :)

BTW: The solar system taught in school always seemed unnatural and wrong to me,

thanks for this nice animation.

Ah, that is one of my favorite topics... This guy, Nassim Haramein, postulates that from the 4 forces, (Strong Force, Weak Force, ElectroMagnetism and Gravity),

he can do away with Strong Force. The force that holds the protons together, if he gives each proton the mass of the whole universe.

If this is so, then indeed, each manifestation of a proton is the same proton... and has deep implications. Of course, if you have read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Short_History_of_Nearly_Everything (funny book this, I recommmend it) you know that there is lots of ego and fighting against the upcoming ideas, dethroning the old ideas and scientists, and that not always the best scientist wins... but the ruthless one. And Nassim is shunned because he also embraces metaphysics... a field not considered proper science. However, the math also works... and that infuriates the mainstream scientists...

So first the short 4 minute introduction with all the math (a bit dry, but just 4 minutes...), accepted and peer reviewed paper mentioned, etc:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/bOzUJdAM7ak?feature=oembed

The implications are, if proven correct, that of a Fractal Universe. (And here I thought The Plasma/Electric Universe was revolutionary... which added a fourth state of matter: Plasma)... and then the sentence "All is One" gets such meaning. I actually had to walk it off outside... a wow moment...

Somehow I always thought, that if you zoom into a particle with a nearly infinite zoom factor, you would actually see yourself zooming into a particle

and that the same would happen if you would zoom out of your actual space far enough.

I think, that our universe is an atom and we are extremely small particles inside of particles inside of particles (etc...) in it

and that this atom is part of a world very or nearly exactly like ours.

Size, distance, time.... are all fascinating illusions.

I'm hugely excited to watch the second video, but I haven't had a chance yet... with my mother here, it's balls to the wall. Working our little behinds off mixing up paints and generally doing as much as we can for the shop in the short time she's here.

Also, can anyone recommend a good youtube downloader? Watching that vid is going to cost me a ton of data, so I would like to be able to save it.

@Klumpen: You and me both.

7) Have moments where I experienced my perspective oscillate from being infinitely small to infinitely large and then increase in frequency until I experienced both simultaneously for a short time. I always found these experiences vaguely disturbing...

Man this whole thread is heavy mental like Killah Priest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWwMatBr5xk

Heavy mental indeed

@klumpen: what about the other way around? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ7U1Kd90pk

@klumpen: what about the other way around? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ7U1Kd90pk
Like I said. ;)

Somehow I always thought, that if you zoom into a particle with a nearly infinite zoom factor, you would actually see yourself zooming into a particle

and that the same would happen if you would zoom out of your actual space far enough.

I think, that our universe is an atom and we are extremely small particles inside of particles inside of particles (etc...) in it

and that this atom is part of a world very or nearly exactly like ours.

Size, distance, time.... are all fascinating illusions.
7) Have moments where I experienced my perspective oscillate from being infinitely small to infinitely large and then increase in frequency until I experienced both simultaneously for a short time. I always found these experiences vaguely disturbing...
 I had them too, but I do not think they were the source of this believe.

My theory is that those experiences prepared the ground for me to 'gravitate' to that understanding of the universe when I was a bit older... After all, I had already experienced what it felt like to zoom in infinitely and zoom out infinitely, and then to know myself as the 'same point' no-matter how small or large (or where). 

The concept of a fractal universe was the only way I could explain my experience.

Remember that I had been born into a christian family, so I pondered about 'eternity', 'omnipresence', 'omnipotence', and 'omniscience' often. 

I always found it so tedious that everyone else seemed to be so fixated on some dude who apparently was the son of God, and then amazingly they weren't so interested in this dude's perspective or what he was really saying, but on what everyone else was saying about him.

I was like: "Hey guys... what about the BIG PICTURE? ... Doesn't God fascinate you?"

"Jesus is God. Jesus saved me"

"yeah yeah... right, ok so Jesus was obsessed with God... and guess what he found out? That HE is God TOO .. like a smaller man-shaped iteration of THE BIG PICTURE... doesn't that give you a clue about yourself? About Everything?"

"Blasphemy!"

"Oh go stick your head back in a bucket..."  *sulk*

The only place is HERE.

The only time is NOW.

The only being is that I AM.

I AM HERE NOW.

Deal with it.  ;)

Edit: I AM ALL-WAYS HERE ... that means you too!

Back