A few unanswered questions

Dafuq

Still Fresh
Hey there community!

At first I have to say, I'm new here and the OpenPandora is also new for me.

Beginning of the week I looked for a better way of retro gaming as them silly emulators on my laptop (not that they're bad, but I hate it not having something in my hand :D ) As I started to google "emulators for handhelds" I first got stunned by all them offers. There are so much handhelds and I didn't even know where to start. So I watched some Videos and things and as I saw the OpenPandora I instantly fall in love. Until now I don't really know why, because what I know is that I don't really need it, but I want it.

Anyway, I checked out for more infos and compared a few, but I'm not smarter than before :D

So much information it's just irritating. Be sure that I really read much in this forum and elsewhere!

What I want:

• Playing amiga, GB, GBC, GBA, GB DS, ps1, N64, everything else would be great too. See this as my focus
  • long battery life
  • everything on one handheld

So here are my questions

generally:

1. is there any other handheld you can afford to me? (because I know that what I want is only a little piece what OP actually can and I would pay too much for only playing emulators and stuff)
  2. Is there any other good forum for handhelds and emulating in general?
OpenPandora specific:

1. Does the Pandora fit in your pocket? Because hm it's a computer :D
  2. How long does it charge from 0-100%?
  3. Does OP fit with my new MacBook Pro? Because there is no file for Mac on Openhandhelds.org -.-
  4. Where can I download all them emulators, except from openhandhelds.org? At example: In this forum I can't find much about n64. I'm looking for a collection of all them emulators where I can pick what I want and need.
  5. I read much about what works and not: Does the GB DS, n64 and ps1 emulator work good now?
  6. is there any GameCube Emulator?
  7. Will it be possible AND PLAYABLE to have psp or xbox emu? (I know I put my head far above the parapet, but I'm interested^^)
  8. What does it mean with "computer engine"-emulator? Something for playing old computer games? What games?
  9. I read about Android on the OP. Does it work well and is it sort of a app or a operating system, what I can switch to?
  10. I saw that WLAN cuts connection when closing the OP. Seems annoying^^
  11. Would a portable Internet Stick work?
Oh god this is much to read and I hope you can help me and I hope the numeration helps you to answer easily ;D

So then, hope you can help! 

Greetings from Ger

• Maybe a smartphone and iControlPad, maybe a GCW zero?
  • don't know
  • yes, but not small pockets
  • depends if you're using it, or have the radios on - easily charges over night (don't have an exact figure atm) its faster using the dedicated charger or a PSP charger
  • You can run the pandora as a standalone device (nothing else ever needed), but if you want to work with it connected to another computer, all you need is a USB port or SD slot - it works just like a USB stick
  • repo.openpandora.org  - or use PNDmanager to get a nicer user experience
  • yes, no, kinda, not sure (in that order)
  • no
  • maybe, don't know
  • don't know
  • not heavily supported, but wait for a better reply, I'm not very sure
  • Probably fixable with a software tweak (haven't noticed it myself)
  • Yes. Check the compatibility list on the pandora wiki
  • Welcome to the forums :)

Last edited by a moderator:
1. I use the Pandy for about what you are planning to.  And not a lot more.  And I don't think it's a waste of money!  Let me tell you ONE THING...about most other handhelds....versus the Open Pandora...

THE OPEN PANDORA IS UNBRICKABLE

Other handhelds, not so.

And this is coming from someone who runs a lot of emulators on a lot of different handhelds, including Dingoo, Nintendo DS, and Nintendo GBA.

Dingoo can and does get bricked.  DSi and DSiXL and 3DS...all can get "bricked" whenever Nintendo updates their firmware - at which point your Acekard or whatever other flashcart you are using won't work anymore.  Now, a DSLite can't get bricked, because it can't be remotely updated...but a smaller screen.  and the Dingoo has a tiny screen.  Same for the GBA using a Supercard...plus, you can't do a whole lot with the GBA and Supercard.

The open source nature of Open Pandora makes it worth all the money.  Sincerely.  It is the best thing I have ever bought.  The one and only wish...which just MIGHT HAPPEN with the P2...would be for a bigger screen!  Only because I LIKE lots of screen real-estate.  The Pandy is good now, but a bigger screen makes it even better, just because bigger screens are always better.

2. Forums: could not say that I know of any forums which are NOT device-specific...for example, Dingoo has a forum, so does the GP32X Wiz...but, they are device-specific...I know of none that is just emulator-specific, that discusses a number of devices.

Pandy Specific:

1. Yes, Pandy fits in your pocket.  Now, being a girl, I usually put it in my purse, but there are times, when I'm wearing pants, that I have shoved it in my pants or coat pocket.

2. I usually charcge mine overnight, and it auto shuts off the charging once full so that you avoid overcharging.  Generally, the few times I have been awake while the Pandy was recharging...it has taken about 3 hours.

4. Download stuff from repo.openpandora.org also, if you have a Pandy, you can install the PNDManager, and download stuff that way.

5. All of them work good.  The N64 is the one that gains the most playability from an upgrade from the Rebirth to the 1Ghz model.  But N64 can and does work on Rebirth, too.

6. I am not sure ANY handheld can emulate gamecube.  I'm pretty sure Pandy does not.

7. XBox...nope.  Not yet, anyway.  PSP...not yet, either, but perhaps it will get done.  BUT, PS One can be done.  The emu is called PCSXreARMed.

8. Yes.  You can emulate, just to name a few...the Amiga, Commodre 64, TRS-80, MSX....and you can even write programs for them on the Pandy.  In my case, I have enjoyed fooling with the TRS-80 emu, just because a TRS-80 was my very first compy, back when I was nine years old.  I have actually programmed stuff in BASIC on it.

9. As I understand it...Android is an alternate Operating System, which you can put on an SD card, and boot from the SD Card, so that - on that boot-up, you will be running Android....later on, you can re-boot normally back tot he normal OS.  There does seem to be some small risk of SD card corruption using Android - but if you put all your Android stuff on the same SD Card, and nothing else on that card...this seems to alleviate that problem.  I have no personal experience with this...this is just from others who have discussed it on the Forum.

11. No knowledge of this.  It is possible some might work.  Others might not.

I hope this has been somewhat helpful to you, and welcome to the Open Pandora Community, I certainly hope you will consider buying one, and becoming an active member of this community.

One thing I will say, in closing, if it helps you to decide...you will find, nowhere, a more supportive and helpful community than right here at Open Pandora.  If you run into problems, and you post a question in the Forums, you'll get answers usually in minutes!  And I have even had people help me out by talking me thru things on the phone!  They gave me their phone number, and I called, and they walked me right thru - in this case, it was doing a firmware update.

I also have one person who was kind enough to undertake coding an app - just for me...although it WILL be useful to lots of other people, it WAS originally just for me...and it is an app that keeps a blood-pressure diary...this way I have information for my doctor when I see her.  The app also tracks blood glucose for diabetics...there are other medical conditions which need constant monitoring...this program could be modified later...to track other conditions, if desired...but, for now, it will track blood pressure and blood glucose, making it VERY useful in a practical sense, not just a gaming sense!

The other advantage Pandy has over other handhelds...is just that, a helpful, supportinve, ACTIVE community.

Incidentally, another thing Pandy does that others wouldn't do...is run a database application.  In my case, because I do medical billing and coding, I am making a database, using PortaBase, which containsd all the ICD9, ICD10, and CPT codes needed for medical billing, so that I have a handy reference with me at any time I might need it.  So, as you see, the Pandy is VERY flexible to do the things that you do need.  so there are bound to be things it can do that you may not use...but which add value to the Pandy.

You are certainly better off buying a device which does MORE...even if you won't use all of what it can do...than to buy a device that you may later find won't do something that you would like it to do.

• Playing amiga, GB, GBC, GBA, GB DS, ps1, N64, everything else would be great too. See this as my focus
  • long battery life
  • everything on one handheld

Pandora is the only handheld I know that does all of these well.

So here are my questions

generally:

• is there any other handheld you can afford to me? (because I know that what I want is only a little piece what OP actually can and I would pay too much for only playing emulators and stuff)
  • Is there any other good forum for handhelds and emulating in general?
http://forum.gp2x.de

OpenPandora specific:

• Does the Pandora fit in your pocket? Because hm it's a computer :D

Yes, but not with tight jeans.
  • How long does it charge from 0-100%?
    Maybe 3 hours
  • Does OP fit with my new MacBook Pro? Because there is no file for Mac on Openhandhelds.org -.-
    Do not understand "fit". You can copy files from MBP to SD card and insert into Pandora.
  • Where can I download all them emulators, except from openhandhelds.org? At example: In this forum I can't find much about n64. I'm looking for a collection of all them emulators where I can pick what I want and need.http://repo.openpandora.org
  • I read much about what works and not: Does the GB DS, n64 and ps1 emulator work good now?
    Yes.
  • is there any GameCube Emulator?http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/11141-why-exactly-is-gamecube-emulation-so-unachievable/
  • Will it be possible AND PLAYABLE to have psp or xbox emu? (I know I put my head far above the parapet, but I'm interested^^)
    No
  • What does it mean with "computer engine"-emulator? Something for playing old computer games? What games?
    Dosbox, Qemu, Hatari, UAE, Vice for PC, Atari ST, Amiga and C64. Thousands of games
  • I read about Android on the OP. Does it work well and is it sort of a app or a operating system, what I can switch to?
    Operating system running within Angstrom.
  • I saw that WLAN cuts connection when closing the OP. Seems annoying^^
  • Would a portable Internet Stick work?
    Yes, but I am not sure where in the wiki the usb sticks that work are listed.

also see

http://wiki.openpandora.de/H%C3%A4ufig_gestellte_Fragen

No. 9: Please note that the usefulness of Android depends on what Pandora you are going to buy: The cheapest one has only 256 MB Ram which prevents some apps from running or make them slower if you use virtual memory.

Android development on the Pandora isn't very far yet so some apps might refuse to work and some inbuilt functions doesn't work (for example wifi led is mostly on, regardless of wifi status) properly.

OTOH you get a rooted Android version with a massive amount of running apps and decent hardware controls on top of your new Pandora for free!

Damn you're awesome! I already love this forum  :D

This was clarifying ! So far, THANKS for answering!

BUT, there is no limit to my ignorance. So there will be more questions.

• I will buy the powerful 1 Ghz with 512 RAM. Think it's the biggest, isn't it?
  • So I update only from SD Cards? I don't need another PC for that? That's obvious!

And now the most irritating thingy. How can it be, that Ithic.com can sell OP for 100$ less?

I think it's more helpful to buy it at the official OP Store. Don't know how to think about it..  :blink:

And now the most irritating thingy. How can it be, that Ithic.com can sell OP for 100$ less?

I think it's more helpful to buy it at the official OP Store. Don't know how to think about it..  :blink:
They don't. 

I take it you are living within the EU? The you have to pay VAT when you import it, which will give you the same price.

www.dragonbox.de adds VAT if you're within the EU, so no import fee etc. will be added.

1GHz is the best, if you can afford it ;)

You may find some things are best done on your mac, but you can run the pandora as a self-contained device

Where do you live? Both ithic and dragonbox are official (although dragonbox is actually run my one of the project leaders)

I'd advise buying from Link (ithic) is you're in north America, and Evildragon(dragonbox) for Europe (don't know about the rest of the world)

You may wish to read these:

http://pandorawiki.org/Pnd

http://pandorawiki.org/PND:FAQ

http://pandorawiki.org/USB_compatibility_list

http://pandorawiki.org/Emulator_list

Ahhh okay for America, that's obvious!

You're right in Europe, more exact in Germany and I read that there is a Shop for "only-in-germany-shipping"-thingy.

EvilDragon, a few minutes ago I watched some interviews about you and now you're answering my questions  :D   :D

Maaaaaan this community is AWESOME! 

Great how helpful you all are! I'm gonna read through and then order a OP! Can't wait holding it in my hands  :wub:

Btw: EvilDragon, da habe ich mich doch nicht verhört, du hast einen Akzent! Ich dachte mir noch "Mensch, der spricht genau wie ich" und gerade lese ich Ingolstadt  :rolleyes:  Beste Grüße aus dem schönen Franken!  :D

Hey, I am here to help to, I mean....I am pretty dumb, but...I get around. :p

Welcome to the forums.....Dafuq. (Nice username by the way xD)

Well, another thing you can do is get a hold of EvilDragon or Link through the phone (If calling rates aren't expensive) and they can help you through things, also, members of the community will gladly talk through things on the phone as Kumaki stated. :)

One thing I will say, in closing, if it helps you to decide...you will find, nowhere, a more supportive and helpful community than right here at Open Pandora.  If you run into problems, and you post a question in the Forums, you'll get answers usually in minutes!  And I have even had people help me out by talking me thru things on the phone!  They gave me their phone number, and I called, and they walked me right thru - in this case, it was doing a firmware update.

I also have one person who was kind enough to undertake coding an app - just for me...although it WILL be useful to lots of other people, it WAS originally just for me...and it is an app that keeps a blood-pressure diary...this way I have information for my doctor when I see her.
I promise you, this is the best damn community you will find ANYWHERE....EVER.

Like, I mean.....they put up with my shit for this long. ;)

I just LOVE the classic Pandora I have, although not powerful, I can play Tekken 3, Any Gran Turismo, Croc, Crash Bandicoot, etc....

WITH VIRTUALLY NO LAG...

I can play any Gameboy Advance/Color game....

Any Homebrew game that is made ONLY for the Pandora system...

I can play....

JUST ABOUT ANYTHING.

This Pandora sells itself, and I mean that when I say it, I mean, people like you and me come in, and are all like...."Does this device actually deliver?", and us members basically say "FUCK YEAH IT DOES" :)

I am just excited to see another person who is actually interested in ONE OF THE BEST GAMING DEVICES EVER.

Well, I am going to leave it at that, and if you need anything else, let me know. :)

~Polukus~

PS: You act exactly like me. x3

1. I use the Pandy for about what you are planning to.  And not a lot more.  And I don't think it's a waste of money!  Let me tell you ONE THING...about most other handhelds....versus the Open Pandora...

THE OPEN PANDORA IS UNBRICKABLE

Other handhelds, not so.

And this is coming from someone who runs a lot of emulators on a lot of different handhelds, including Dingoo, Nintendo DS, and Nintendo GBA.

Dingoo can and does get bricked.  DSi and DSiXL and 3DS...all can get "bricked" whenever Nintendo updates their firmware - at which point your Acekard or whatever other flashcart you are using won't work anymore.  Now, a DSLite can't get bricked, because it can't be remotely updated...but a smaller screen.  and the Dingoo has a tiny screen.  Same for the GBA using a Supercard...plus, you can't do a whole lot with the GBA and Supercard.

The open source nature of Open Pandora makes it worth all the money.  Sincerely.  It is the best thing I have ever bought.  The one and only wish...which just MIGHT HAPPEN with the P2...would be for a bigger screen!  Only because I LIKE lots of screen real-estate.  The Pandy is good now, but a bigger screen makes it even better, just because bigger screens are always better.

2. Forums: could not say that I know of any forums which are NOT device-specific...for example, Dingoo has a forum, so does the GP32X Wiz...but, they are device-specific...I know of none that is just emulator-specific, that discusses a number of devices.

Pandy Specific:

Kumaki: 1. Yes, Pandy fits in your pocket.  Now, being a girl, I usually put it in my purse, but there are times, when I'm wearing pants, that I have shoved it in my pants or coat pocket.

You are a girl? Never knew that.... :p

haha you're freaking funny :-D
Just love that forum from the Moment I wrote my topic :-D
Sry I have to say that again and again..

Btw another question for you: how distinguishs the less powerful from the 1 GHz Version. Yeah I know it's faster and in some games you have more fps and stuff, but where is the main difference. i mean, what can the powerful lady do, what the girl can't?

haha you're freaking funny :-D Just love that forum from the Moment I wrote my topic :-D Sry I have to say that again and again.. Btw another question for you: how distinguishs the less powerful from the 1 GHz Version. Yeah I know it's faster and in some games you have more fps and stuff, but where is the main difference. i mean, what can the powerful lady do, what the girl can't?
If "the powerful lady" refers to 1Ghz, whereas "the girl" refers to the Rebirth....

As far as I know, the major difference will be in N64 and Android emulation.  there you get extra processing power.

But there's almost nothing I have thrown at my Rebirth that it could not handle.  Admittedly I never tried N64.  and I understand N64 emulation DOES work better on the 1Ghz version.

Polukus: You never knew I was a girl?  Not sure how to take that, LOL...no, seriously, I find this is common, in gaming forums, everyone assumes you're a guy until they know otherwise.  I guess there's lots more gamer guys than girls.

Dafuq: Yes, Ithic is where you buy from if you are in the United States, like I am.  If you're in EU, then you want to buy from ED - which is the dragonbox shop.  You could buy from Ithic, of course, if you're in EU, but then they have to add VAT and import fees, and why do that, when ED will fix you up with what you want?

As to helping the project, I cannot say for sure whether sales of new units thru Ithic help the project or not with regards to filling pre-orders.  At least, not directly.  But, the more Pandys are out there, the more people will see them, and maybe want them.

But I suspect you are in EU, so you should just order from ED.  And I KNOW he is using profits from sold new units to service the pre-order queue.

At any rate, hoping you will be getting you a Pandy and joining our community.

There ARE folks like ME here, who can't code their way out of a paper bag, and still make use of the Pandy...and get all sorts of help making things work, so you should not have any trouble.

Btw: EvilDragon, da habe ich mich doch nicht verhört, du hast einen Akzent! Ich dachte mir noch "Mensch, der spricht genau wie ich" und gerade lese ich Ingolstadt :rolleyes: Beste Grüße aus dem schönen Franken! :D
Maybe you should also visit the german forums then?

Okay thanks to all of you, Ladys and Gentleman! :)

German Forum? Okay that's new for me. I will have a short look, but I prefer english forums, so you don't get rid of me so fast :-D

Btw: EvilDragon, da habe ich mich doch nicht verhört, du hast einen Akzent! Ich dachte mir noch "Mensch, der spricht genau wie ich" und erade lese ich Ingolstadt  :rolleyes:  Beste Grüße aus dem schönen Franken!  :D
Geboren in Erlangen, sechs Jahre in Heroldsbach gelebt, danach nach Pfaffenhofen an der Ilm und seit 10 Jahren nun in Ingolstadt :)

Also bunte Mischung mit fraenkischem Schlag ;)

I've got a used Pandora to play with while I'm stuck in the queue, it's an old 256 original. I am impressed with how it feels and it is far sturdier than I ever thought it would be. I literally had it 2 minutes and had downloaded firefox to an sd card and took it with me out to eat. I installed firefox in the restaurant and then went to the repo and downloaded apps and installed it all on the Pandora while waiting for dinner. It's a blast and has exceeded my expectations. I'm taking it everywhere and showing everyone and everyone says they have to have one. I hope I'm sending some business in Ed's direction.

Ed, my youngest kid told me that the cartoon called rugrats in america is called Hosenscheisser in Germany, which translates to poopy pants in english. Is that true?

For all my fussing, pissing and bitching, I'm now hoping to free up some cash for an upgrade......lol

Welcome , to this , this is probably one of the most friendly groups of total strangers . Ever . The device we center around ain't half bad either . If you can afford go for the 1 ghz .

Ed, my youngest kid told me that the cartoon called rugrats in america is called Hosenscheisser in Germany, which translates to poopy pants in english. Is that true?
Umm... nope, Rugrats is still named Rugrats here. At least the last time I saw it (was a couplee of years ago)

Back