A Few More Issues (Ds Card And Shutdown Etc.)

Brit

Still Fresh
Right, thank you to the people who helped me earlier in getting it done and set up.

I've now got a few more issues that I'm trying to work out.

Problem 1: (No Shutdown)
The System won't shut down, and this time it's not plugged in and charging it just won't. When I issue it to shutdown it closes things down and the screen goes dark and the lights turn off. But the screen is still on with a single white character in the top left of the screen. What's going on?

Problem 2: (Missing driver of some sort?)
When I try to inside my DS card on some programs I get an error message stating there is a missing file of some sort. I'm trying to get the error again to give the name of the file but I can't manage it...

Problem 3: (Start up)
The device cannot find an internet address for [unit name here]. I'm unsure of the purposes of this feature, and I'd mainly like to stop getting this error message on every start up I do.

Problem 4: (Emulator)
I can't seem to get gbSP emulator to work correctly... I've installed it correctly and put the GBA Bios in its appdata folder, but it seems like when I select a rom to play (I've tried a whole bunch of buttons in selecting). When I think I've selected a rom it takes me into a new file selection menu which is part of the system files... what do I do here?

About problems 1, 2, and 3, it looks like you need to reflash, I'm afraid, which means tweaks like setting up hotkeys and installing the Community Codec Pack, if you have done these things, will be lost. All of those symptoms tend to occur when a bad firmware flash has occurred - it will appear to work, but bugs like the ones you describe will arise.

What you'll need to do to resolve this is grab the "Complete firmware image including all Hotfixes 2011-03 (Zaxxon)" from here, and follow the instructions that are located just below the download link. If you have a spare SD Card for this purpose, then so much the better - otherwise you will need to empty one of the ones you're using, which is rather less convenient. :p

As for problem 4, you need to navigate out of there. Press the d-pad to the right, to highlight those two little dots at the top of the listing at the right-hand side, and then keep pressing the "B" game button until you see a list that looks like the following;

Code:
bin
boot
dev
etc
home
lib
media
mnt
pandora
proc
sbin
sys
tmp
usr
var

You want to highlight "media", and press the "B" game button again. From here, you will see a list which will contain the names of your SD Cards - now you can navigate to the card you want to get to, and find your files. When you get to where the files you're after are, push the d-pad to the left, in order to navigate through the file listing on the left-hand side, instead of the directory listing on the right.

I'm pretty sure that covers all of it!

Prometheus said:
You want to highlight "media", and press the "B" game button again. From here, you will see a list which will contain the names of your SD Cards - now you can navigate to the card you want to get to, and find your files. When you get to where the files you're after are, push the d-pad to the left, in order to navigate through the file listing on the left-hand side, instead of the directory listing on the right.

I'm pretty sure that covers all of it!

Ahhh... Ok... It just seems to crash when I select my roms that way... Do I need a certain type of rom? I'm using .gba
Also, thanks for pointing me toward the OS patch.

Last edited by a moderator:
The games need to be zipped - it will probably work if you zip them on whatever OS you happen to be using on your computer, but it can also be done on the Pandora itself, using a built-in app called "Squeeze" if you prefer (the one thing I can say about this method is that whilst it's a little bit long-winded, it definitely works :lol: ).

As for the OS, that's not a patch - it's essentially the files needed to restore it to factory-state. ;) I mean, the patches/hotfixes are there, too, of course, and that's where to check for updates, but you really do need to reflash to restore it to how it should be.

Prometheus said:
As for the OS, that's not a patch - it's essentially the files needed to restore it to factory-state. ;) I mean, the patches/hotfixes are there, too, of course, and that's where to check for updates, but you really do need to reflash to restore it to how it should be.
Right,
Well got all the stuff you told me to get. Read the README inside and I'm a bit confused when it talks about extracting to the root directory of the formatted SD card.
Don't get me wrong I know extraction, but is it asking me to create a new folder inside the SD card and extract there... or just extract it onto the blank card?

Also...
Some of the other steps which I'm not understanding.
"2. You can optionally place a Pandora Kernel (uImage) and U-boot (u-boot.bin) tarred and gzipped to bootf.tgz into the root directory"
"3. Finally, include a Pandora UBIFS image and checksum (named rootfs.img and rootfs.md5) in the root directory"
Are these steps very necessary? I don't appear to have the files it's talking about.

Gragh! I'm terribly sorry, I somehow accidentally hit the "Edit" button on your post instead of "Reply", and may have fouled up the quote that you did. My sincerest apologies - I have no idea how that happened!

Anyway...

Brit said:
Right,
Well got all the stuff you told me to get. Read the README inside and I'm a bit confused when it talks about extracting to the root directory of the formatted SD card.
Don't get me wrong I know extraction, but is it asking me to create a new folder inside the SD card and extract there... or just extract it onto the blank card?
Just onto the blank card - when something refers to "the root of your SD Card", this is always what it means.

Also...
Some of the other steps which I'm not understanding.
"2. You can optionally place a Pandora Kernel (uImage) and U-boot (u-boot.bin) tarred and gzipped to bootf.tgz into the root directory"
"3. Finally, include a Pandora UBIFS image and checksum (named rootfs.img and rootfs.md5) in the root directory"
Are these steps very necessary? I don't appear to have the files it's talking about.
I'm pretty sure that you can safely ignore this part - you just need to follow the steps as they appear on the official website, as previously linked to. (I've done this before myself, so I can safely say that they work.)

Huzzah! Should the thread be marked as "[SOLVED]", or are there any further issues remaining?

Mmmm, something stupid... don't suppose there's a Windows skin for this? :rolleyes:

I don't recall if there's one pre-installed (I haven't changed my theme in ages), but you can check by clicking on the Pandora-menu, then Settings, then Xfce 4 Settings Manager, and then once that is open Appearance. All of the entries on the "Style" tab are themes, and clicking on them will change everything immediately.

If there isn't one pre-installed, there is a guide to installing new themes here which with any luck should be suitable.

Ok, thanks for all your previous help but now something new has come up...

The left nub doesn't allow the cursor to go up. Holding up it doesn't do anything at all... But it can go left, right and down... I restored the nubs to their system defaults, and the problem persisted. Please don't tell me this is hardware related; there's little to no reason why it could have done this.

Alerino said:
try the nub dance
make sure they are centered before turning on the panda
turn it on, when the logo goes away, move the nubs in each direction, up center, left center, down center and so on
report back

Brilliant! Cheers...
Glados: "The best solution to any problem is usually the easiest one..."

Edit: AHH hang on... it seems to be related to me using the right nub for left and right click...

Back