Shutdown command line?

stratego

Still Fresh
Hi, as I mentioned in another thread (applications to port) I have started using my OP to listen radio stations online when I'm at bed. I would like to be able to shutdown the OP automatically when I fall sleep. As the technology to detect if one is sleeping has not been implemented on the OP ;-) I thougth to use Alarm Clock, as it allows to run commands.

My surprise was when I tried it and discovered that the OP won't start again unless I took the batery out and put in again. I used the command: shutdown -h

Does anybody know if it is an OP restriction? Is there any other way to do this? Thanks a lot.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

No problems here. "sudo shutdown -h now" shut it down, flicking the power switch brought it back, exactly as expected. Don't know what to tell you.

For anyone else that's interested..

sudo shutdown -h 03:00 will shut it down at the specified time (3AM in this example). I use this a lot as I get free broadband between 12am and 8am which is good downloading time but I don't like to leave my comp on all night.

sudo shutdown -h now Shuts the comp down straight away.

sudo shutdown -r Restarts the comp.

Can't test them on the Pandora itself yet though :(

EDIT: and yeah, the -h option means halt :)

Last edited by a moderator:
'sudo shutdown -h now' works fine for me. 'sudo shutdown -P now' froze on shutdown and I had to reinsert the battery.

Thanks to all the people that tested.

'sudo shutdown -h now' works fine for me. 'sudo shutdown -P now' froze on shutdown and I had to reinsert the battery.
Weird that somebody is getting same result as me (had to reinsert battery) but with different parameter :blink:

I'll try sudo poweroff, which is the command I've seen is configured for when the battery goes into critical charge, and publish here the results.

Back in my day, we used halt -p... less characters, more efficient.. of course you still need to sudo..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back