Caanoo / WIZ A Few Ideas I Have For Caanoo

Fluiquid

Still Fresh
I don't know if anybody else posted these ideas, and I also don't know if its all possible.
I have a few Ideas to make some things easier with the caanoo.

1: A button remap deamon (To remap buttons for games without that option).
2: Virtual keyboard deamon, (press a key combination to display a virtual keyboard).
3: Run GPE/GPU on exit (for programs that have that hardcoded).

Games I'd love to play on my Caanoo:
Rocks'N'Diamonds: http://www.artsoft.org/rocksndiamonds/

I also had an idea, which would require more than porting and its not really a wish, just a cool idea that may inspire someone.
There is a port of the falling sand game somewhere on openhandhelds.org. It would be really cool if it was ported to the caanoo and made use of the g-sensor (meaning the sand falls to the side you're holding down).

I don't know anything about programming for the Caanoo, so I think this is the appropriate forum to post my ideas.

Fluiquid said:
is that technically possible ? I think i know how to do that to some degree but with a lot of "if's". I know you can check button presses but you'd also have to be able to push "new" button presses programmatically to the some buffer can probably be done with /dev/input/event0 but i'm not completely sure of that. The other problem is that i think that the original key press will still make it to the application so you'd have to prevent that, if all of these are possible it shouldn't be too hard to create a daemon that does this

Fluiquid said:
2: Virtual keyboard deamon, (press a key combination to display a virtual keyboard).
This might give problems as well, you'd have to draw to the framebuffer on top of the game that currently is drawing to it so it will most likely flicker, i remember trying something similar with the fgbrab daemon to let the user know the screenshot was taken but i skipped with that idea since i could not find a way to make it work like it should. But then again i never really tried hard and it was for the dingoo i do think the caanoo might suffer the same problem, but maybe someone else knows a way around those problems

Fluiquid said:
not sure how one would do that, most of the time you can easily overwrite the real menu binary with a script to launch whatever you like. Problem on the caanoo is the filesystem is read only so you can't do this, at least it was last time i checked

Last edited by a moderator:
joyrider said:
Fluiquid said:
is that technically possible ? I think i know how to do that to some degree but with a lot of "if's". I know you can check button presses but you'd also have to be able to push "new" button presses programmatically to the some buffer can probably be done with /dev/input/event0 but i'm not completely sure of that. The other problem is that i think that the original key press will still make it to the application so you'd have to prevent that, if all of these are possible it shouldn't be too hard to create a daemon that does this

Fluiquid said:
This might give problems as well, you'd have to draw to the framebuffer on top of the game that currently is drawing to it so it will most likely flicker, i remember trying something similar with the fgbrab daemon to let the user know the screenshot was taken but i skipped with that idea since i could not find a way to make it work like it should. But then again i never really tried hard and it was for the dingoo i do think the caanoo might suffer the same problem, but maybe someone else knows a way around those problems

Fluiquid said:
not sure how one would do that, most of the time you can easily overwrite the real menu binary with a script to launch whatever you like. Problem on the caanoo is the filesystem is read only so you can't do this, at least it was last time i checked

Thanks for the info,
I knew it would be probably bordering the impossible.

I wish I could program for the Caanoo though.
Too bad I don't know anything about c++.
I wrote a hello world app and a few other single command apps to see if I could get my own code to run on the Caanoo.
I succeeded :).

I love the terminal cause its a lot easier to write apps for the terminal.
Though I really miss a touchscreen keyboard on the terminal.

monstercameron said:
dude caanoo dev is slow do other things to keep occupied. i have been really getting back into netbooks.

I don't see how that's relevant.

Back