A Few Emulation Q's.

atlewis

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
MAME (mamegp2x) It cant find any of the roms? Maybe I'm putting them all in the wrong folder.
NeoGeo CD (neocdgp2x) I can find my zip of a game but I dunno how to select it and it just won't load :S

Not only is it a bannable offense to post copyrighted bios images here, it also bannable to ask for them when you know they are copyrighted! It's like asking someone to PM you a location of some commercial game.

Squidge said:
Not only is it a bannable offense to post copyrighted bios images here, it also bannable to ask for them when you know they are copyrighted! It's like asking someone to PM you a location of some commercial game.
Asking for what where? :rolleyes: And cheers for answering my other questions :(. Right I didn't know it was a bannable offense sorry, I just don't see why Bio's are illegal and don't understand all that rubbish.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's illegal because it would be aiding copyright infringement to provide links to the files. This is due to the fact of BIOS files being a copy of the System software of a console.

What I can say that if you can dump the files from your own hardware, that's perfectly fine. I can also say that typing sensible things into google and clicking on the right link will get you somewhere. The legality of downloading the files from the internet is debatable, since it obviously won't have been dumped from your own hardware (whether or not the BIOS dump is identical to everyone else's is irrelevant)

I kinda understand it, I just don't get why bio's are illegal and emu's aren't theres probs a perfectly good reason, its just me being stupid.

I think he is asking in which folder bios files should be put in in order to get the games to work ; not requesting link to illegal files. -Sorry if I'm mistaken-

In both cases ; the bios files should be in the roms folder along with the zipped games in order to get the games working.
Note that different mame games need different files and one single bios is not enough ,unlike neogeo, to play all the games

atlewis said:
I kinda understand it, I just don't get why bio's are illegal and emu's aren't theres probs a perfectly good reason, its just me being stupid.
Well, the emulators are reverse engineered and written by the emulator authors. Therefore they are not illegal as no copyrights or trademarks were broken.

BIOS files however are written by the original manufacturer (such as Nintendo). They obviously don't want you stealing these files as they wrote them for one purpose only - to play there games on there own console. If someone wrote there own version of a BIOS from scratch without using the original as a reference, then it would be fully legal to distribute that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough :p, I just thought that making emu's would be illegal as your emulating their own console which is copywritten etc. Ah well back to my original Q's anyway.

Emus are not and never have been illegal; emulation is a technology is used in every day life by devs -- its a standard and extremely useful tool, not just for _retro_ emulation. ITs 100% new code by authors, simulating another device.

I wont' bother to go into details; just trust me, dont' make me expain it for the 900th time to someone :)

jeff

Back