A-data 'my Flash' 4gb 150x Sd Card

The_HEAD_85

Still Fresh
Hello People,
Day 4 with no SD Card Usage and guess what the card is not being recognised by any reader it is showing up as 0 bytes with an unknown system type and I don't think it can be formatted either. I've got the IT Technicians trying to find out how to get it formatted or indeed recognised in Windows and DOS.

The thing is, I believe it's possible for the SD card, which I decided to format at home on my Windows XP, which I think has decided to make it not useable on any other systems (SD = Secure Digital).

Is it this I do not know, but I will try two new card readers (Sandisk Mobile SD/MMC and Mini USB SD/MMC) to see if it is my home computer causing the problems.

Anyway, can anyone suggest any other problem with the 4GB SD card?

Please Help!

The HEAD 85.

Some computers and card readers don't work with large memory cards. I bought the same card and tried to test it at work on a new laptop. The computer couldn't recognize the card and the IT guy told me the card was defective. I brough it home and tried it on my computer's reader and it worked fine. I didn't need to format anything just added files.

I have the same card... the card reader in my laptop couldn't read it, and also my camera couldn't read it. So I bought a cardreader called 'sandisk mobilemate ds+' (very small thing, about 20$) and when I tried it with that it worked and I didn't need to format it.
The GP2X also doesn't have any problems with the card, works fine :) (so optionally you can use the usb cable + the GP2X to put stuff on your card, but apparantly this would be much slower)

A lot of integrated card readers in laptops are Texas Instruments. This fix worked for mine, so that my computer would recognize and format the exact same card as 4GB.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-repli...cfm/517257.html

(BTW... be careful with this card because the plastic breaks really easy... This card is f'ing fast, but the plastic broke, so I'm having to replace it.)

EDIT: Stupid Iraqi internet!!

It´s "normal" does "older" cardreader didn´t recognize sd cards with such a high storage capacity. The capacity has incresed much in the last time. What is needed is either a firmware update of the reader or a new card reader which is compatible with sizes of 1/2/4GB cards.

I basically got fed up of being able to use the card one minute and not being recognised the next. I have now sent back the A-DATA 4gb Card and having it replaced by an OEM Card (Third-party, no name) and basically this comes with a compatible reader which hopefully not needing formatting and use it straight away. I hope I get it for tomorrow. I have not used my GP2X because you cannot put much on the NAND apart from the DRMD (Over clocked to 280MHz every game 60fps minimum, quality) or MAME emulator (So Slow, even over clocking).

Buy RiDATA 4GB 150X from Craig or EvilDragon. That's what we use and sell here without problems on GP2X and PC.

Do not buy those cheap SD cards since they are just refurbished ones.

Just an advice! ;)

The_HEAD_85 posted on Jul 3 2006 at 07:49 AM said:
or MAME emulator (So Slow, even over clocking).

Try putting Frameskip to 1 or 2. I found MAME to be very fast, even for things like Shock Trooper!

Last edited by a moderator:
techFreak posted on Jul 3 2006 at 10:36 AM said:
Buy RiDATA 4GB 150X from Craig or EvilDragon. That's what we use and sell here without problems on GP2X and PC.

Just an advice! ;)

The Card which is from Emartbuy, which had the ADATA card but this has a reader which specifically reads 4gb cards. I have been told it's brand new but the TAIWAN manufacturers do not want to use their name. If you think I shouldn't get this then make other suggestions. Below is a link to the site (I don't know if it is a hyperlink or a copy paste jobby!) It costs £63 about $110 but I’m wondering they might not give me my money back if this ones dodgy as well. AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!! Why don't it just work dammit!

http://www.emartbuy.co.uk/products.php?prodid=210

Just an advice! ;)

Hi

I am a Gp2x noob and am at the end of my patience! I got a 4gb Ridata Ritek 150x SD card from Gbax.com along with my GP2x.

Problems - SD card is seen on a card reader as 1gb - not 4gb ... I formatted it in xp to 1gb ( it was the only option available ) and then the SD card was readable as 1gb in the GP2x via the usb.

So I am stuck with a 4gb SD card that is only seen as a 1gb card - anyone know a way I can format it to 4gb by using a util or program run from the GP2x itself .. the on board format command only formats the user part of the Nand memory?

I have read some other forums which talk about card readers seeing 4gb as 1gb due to some problem with these "new" SD cards but I am sure that if I can format it using the GP2x it will be ok. I am not a techie so if anyone can give me some usefull utility links etc it would make my day!

:blink:

catseyez posted on Sep 20 2006 at 09:41 AM said:

Just an advice! ;)

Hi

I am a Gp2x noob and am at the end of my patience! I got a 4gb Ridata Ritek 150x SD card from Gbax.com along with my GP2x.

Problems - SD card is seen on a card reader as 1gb - not 4gb ... I formatted it in xp to 1gb ( it was the only option available ) and then the SD card was readable as 1gb in the GP2x via the usb.

So I am stuck with a 4gb SD card that is only seen as a 1gb card - anyone know a way I can format it to 4gb by using a util or program run from the GP2x itself .. the on board format command only formats the user part of the Nand memory?

I have read some other forums which talk about card readers seeing 4gb as 1gb due to some problem with these "new" SD cards but I am sure that if I can format it using the GP2x it will be ok. I am not a techie so if anyone can give me some usefull utility links etc it would make my day!

:blink:

Hi all

Update... I downloaded the SDfixCapcity.exe (164kb) onto my xp pc and used it to format my Ritek 4gb SD card to 4gb! Cool! It worked brilliantly. It formatted it in the card reader I was previously having problems with ????? So obviously it was not a card reader issue.

I have ordered the Sandisk usb reader anyway (£16 gulp!) so if anyone wants it for a tenner let me know.

Also the 4gb SD was formatted to FAT so all I did was re-format it in windows as FAT32 using the normal right click/properties/format method in xp and hey presto it works fine.

So cheers very much to the person whose link I found on this forum - sorry can't remember where it is but I have the file if anyone wants to email me I will send it to them .. unless anyone else can find and post the link in this thread.

B)

I'm in the same boat as you. Bought the same card from the same place. It says the card isn't formatted, and the only way to format it is as a 1 gig card. (All this is via the GP2X and the usb cable, no card reader).

So... I downloaded the software you mentioned on the last post. Attached the GP2X to the computer, activated USB mode. The computer sees the (incorrectly) formatted card, but when you run the program, it doesn't see the card! Drive C, D etc... but no card in the GP2X! Same thing happens with my laptop. Any ideas?!

Hardbattle posted on Sep 21 2006 at 09:51 AM said:
I'm in the same boat as you. Bought the same card from the same place. It says the card isn't formatted, and the only way to format it is as a 1 gig card. (All this is via the GP2X and the usb cable, no card reader).

So... I downloaded the software you mentioned on the last post. Attached the GP2X to the computer, activated USB mode. The computer sees the (incorrectly) formatted card, but when you run the program, it doesn't see the card! Drive C, D etc... but no card in the GP2X! Same thing happens with my laptop. Any ideas?!

Er I think you really need a card reader cos 1) it will save a load of battery cost, 2) it will be faster and 3) the utility probably only works if u got a card reader - not via the gp2x. In fact I couldnt even get my pc to see the unformatted card in the gp2x at all until I formatted it via a card reader. If you are interested I bought a multicard reader from Curry's for about £13 by "Advent" or something. It now works fine with my 4gb card after using the SDfixCapcity.exe file

Well the first thing I did before the aggro was put the sd card into the card reader, make sure xp sees the reader and the drive letters appear - if you got this far right click the drive letter with the unformatted card in and choose the format option - format to FAT32 and call the drive something like GP2x SD Card then quick format. Once you got this at least you should see the card and be able to double click into the drive and create folders etc.

If you get this far, THEN run the utility and it should see the card etc or the drive letter as it is at least formatted even though its only 980mb or so. Then it will show a box saying to format to 4gb - my software came up with the number automatically so all I did was then click ok and it formatted it to 4gb. THEN make sure you then repeat the normal drive format in xp on the card and format it to FAT32 and that should be it.

Let me know how you get on!

Thanks Catseyez - I've just remembered that my print has an SD card reader built in, so gonna try that first.

I've ordered a card reader so, hopefully, that'll sort my problem....

Thanks for your quick reply.

Job done.

Managed to work it out with the printer and the 4g card fix program mentioned earlier in the thread.

Thanks to everyone that helped.

Now.... Lets see what this baby can do! :blink:

Hi,

Just got my GP2X today with the RiData 4GB card :-D

I haven't got my card reader through yet :( i thought i could still have a play with it though as it says the card is already formatted on the A4 sheet i got with the package.

I can't get my PC to see that anything is connected though :(

Do i need to make sure that the card is formatted with a card reader for my PC to see the GP2X at all, or is it something else? I've un-plugged all USB devices i can (not keyboard & mouse) and re-booted but alas my PC doesn't even recognise that anything is connected.

Can anyone please point out my probably stupid mistake?

Back