A Console Made In The Year I Was Born

gruso

thunderbox
Website
pandorapress.net
I decided recently that I needed to own a console that came out in the year I was born. No real reason, I just thought it would be cool. I was in for a surprise; I had no idea there were so many different systems out at the time. I mean lots. If you were born any time after 1975, you could share a birthday with any number of forgotten clunkers. Check your year here:

http://www.playersch...tofsystems.html

(That list ends in 1999. Note the "future systems" mentioned, including Dreamcast 2 :D . . . :( )

Anyway, I've seen a few '77 consoles pop up on ebay, including some Aussie-only models. They go for nothing, too. Here's what I found listed today (and hope to own tomorrow): The Sheen 106C Colour Video Sport! (There is some differing opinion on whether this is 76 or 77, for Australia it's safe to say 77). FITS ANY TV!

sheen-106C-yellowbox.jpg

%21B%28kq5Zw%212k%7E$%28KGrHgoOKjgEjlLmZRFRBKdBtCkFb%21%7E%7E_1.JPG

CHECK OUT THE PIECE!

So, anyone in the club, or want to join? Post a pic of your birth year console, or pick one off the list and buy it. Then post a pic of it. It'll be fun. Maybe.

Wow... that gun looks moderately real. Wouldn't see that nowdays.

hmmmm, 1988 wasn't a big year from the looks of it, although PC Engines are cool.

Sega_32x.jpe
Figures, they only sold 200,000. Still, what a beauty.

(naw)mcx said:
Born in the year of fail

Pioneer LaserActive CLD-A100
SEGA Mega Drive II
= SEGA Genesis II
PSION Series 3a
British pocket computer
Philips CD-i 200
Philips CD-i 210
Panasonic 3DO Multiplayer FZ-1
What is the Mega Drive II?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the second hardware revision of the Mega Drive (Or Genesis in the USA). It's the unit you see on the picture above (of course without the 32x extension).

@Jourdy288

Indeed. Still one of my favorite console...

There were no consoles when I was born, the only computer related thing I could find was the release of the first edition of the ASCII standard :(

My first "PC" had 64KB of RAM and a 2Mhz processor. Playing games on it was quite difficult and not exactly fun.

Gruso said:
Not a bad looking gun, but it's no Hanimex 888G.

Hang on...

266705147_tp.jpg

Oh WTF...
I've been playing with this one (Hanimex 7771G) when I was a kid :) :

hanimex7771g1.jpg

2911w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My Vectrex is 5 years younger than me (1982 vs 1977) but I say it's close enough :)

Now if only I could figure out how to open the thing so I can replace all the dodgy caps in it...

Being such an old fart, Home game consoles were not ever available the year i was born.

The nearest i could find was the Magnavox Odyssey,

Here

Which is actually two years younger than me :eek: ,And to call it a games console is a bit of
a stretch of anyone`s imagination, Judging by it`s spec. :blink:

Code:
CONTROLLERS  	  2 largish block sized controllers with a round dial on either side.
CPU  	         None
COLORS           Black & white
SOUND  	         None
I/O PORTS        Cartridge slot
MEDIA  	         Cartridges
NUMBER OF GAMES   12
POWER SUPPLY  	  6 x 'C' batteries. Optional external adaptor (9V, 40MA)
PERIPHERALS  	  Optional rifle

Trooper

094_Binatone_TV_Master_MK6_Boxsized.jpg

"with gun, for home entertainment"

They looked so real back then that it makes that statement funny.

I had no idea there were so many! My buddy is trying to have the ultimate collection but it looks like he has a long way to go. I almost don't want to send him that link, for his own good...

then again, he's loaded (still lives with his parents!) and it would be sweet to check out all those old systems!

AHAHAHAHAHA, I WIN! NEO-GEO, BABY!

Amstrad GX 4000
SEGA Game Gear
SNK Neo-Geo
SEGA Master System II
SGT-7202A
clone Nintendo NES
Nintendo SNES (American)
NEC TurboExpress
NEC SuperGrafx
NEC CoreGrafx II
NEC PC-Engine GT