64 Gb Sdxc Cards

Looking back at the old thread, I wonder if you could get around the 'ext2/3/4 not recognized by windows' problem by creating a small partition on the disk formatted in FAT or FAT32 and running the drivers or a VM from there. Then mount the rest of the disk using whatever you have in that small partition, and be on your merry way.

Walrus said:
However, the SD cards are NOT recognised by the Pandora, and do not display on the desktop. A 32GB card (FAT32) is recognised, so the slot works. I guessed that the exFAT file system was the issue, so reformatted a blank 64GB card with NTFS. After this, the card was recognised on the Pandora desktop, but when I double-clicked it, I got the message 'unable to mount the disk as unrecognised file system NTFS'.
Install the codec pack if you want to use NTFS. Otherwise, format the card FAT32.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neko said:
Walrus said:
However, the SD cards are NOT recognised by the Pandora, and do not display on the desktop. A 32GB card (FAT32) is recognised, so the slot works. I guessed that the exFAT file system was the issue, so reformatted a blank 64GB card with NTFS. After this, the card was recognised on the Pandora desktop, but when I double-clicked it, I got the message 'unable to mount the disk as unrecognised file system NTFS'.
Install the codec pack if you want to use NTFS. Otherwise, format the card FAT32.
Thanks I'm installing the codecs now. I can't format the card FAT32 as Windows won't let me (the options are exFAT or NTFS).

This worked and the 64GB cards are now recognised under NTFS. For info, the exFAT formatting isn't recognised even with the codecs, so it is necessary to reformat SDXC cards as NTFS.

Now on to installing some emulators... :)

Thanks guys,
Jo.

I've seen these cards hovering around the £100 mark and I'm pretty tempted. What excites me more though is that 128Gb cards are "only" around £250. A year ago 64Gb cards were quite a bit more expensive than that. I've got 2 32Gb cards so I might just leave it at that for now and see what the price of 128Gb cards comes to in a year or so time.

Has anybody tried a 128 yet?

256.5Gb Pandora - awesome! :p

Walrus said:
Neko said:
Thanks I'm installing the codecs now. I can't format the card FAT32 as Windows won't let me (the options are exFAT or NTFS).
Although newer versions of Windows do not let you format devices with more than 32 GB with the FAT32 filesystem, this does not mean that you can't format the card with FAT32. You can format it from Linux with FAT32 just fine. Such a card works fine in both Linux and Windows.
NTFS is a really bad choice for SD cards. You should probably use FAT32 or ext2.

Back