Cheaper SDHC cards?

ilovevideogames408

Still Fresh
Can anyone predict when 32 GB SDHC cards will reach the prices of $30? I know it seems a bit optimistic to expect this to happen in the next few months, but I'd like to know. I could probably hold out a little more for at least 48 GBs of memory...

Even with the arrival of the new 64GB SDXC cards, devices will not supported them for a long time, so our only hope is for the limit for SDHC to be set higher

I might even have to turn to ebay. Not exactly the first place you'd go for flash memory...

Haha. Perhaps waiting for the Pandora can take care of this year, but two years is a long time to go without such an awesome device. Looks like I will have to resort to bidding. Being on a budget, my money isn't very flexible at the moment

eBay is apparently full of fake flash memory. Some people are hacking the firmware to report higher capacities than the cards actually have, and you don't notice anything until you try to write data beyond the end of its actual capacity.

I would advise not buying anything from eBay, especially not flash memory.

Damn. I have 2.5 GB and most of that is the 2 or 3 or 4 CDs I've ripped to FLAC. The first 3 DragonForce albums are in Vorbis since I haven't officially bought them yet. <_< I'm lazy and cheap, and Valley of the Damned probably isn't worth buying. >_>

I could see why you'd want it all on SD memory. Moving stuff back and forth is a pain. It might also wear out the card faster (though that's not a big deal since they supposedly have long lifespans).

However, if you really need 32G, get two 16G. If an album is roughly equal to .5G (I think that's an overestimation), then you'll be able to fit 64 albums in FLAC. If you only put on 32 albums, then you'll have room for at least 22 PS1 games, assuming you're not also compressing them.

No one's keeping you from buying and carrying more than two 16G itty-bitty SDHC cards around either. ;)

I just find 32 GB not to be enough, so I'll settle for 48 if not 64. I can easily justify 32 GB. What about the price droppage of 16GB cards?

Many manufacturers have slowed or stopped production because of the economy, don't expect the usual price reductions in the next 6 months.

The Pandora is not just a handheld console (as in "game console"), it's a portable, pocketable computer. I won't be using it for gaming. I can easily fill up any size card with the kind of data I process on my computers. And even without that data a 32GB card would not be particularly big when I start dumping the content of digital camera card into my portable Pandora (that's where the _two_ slots come in handy). This is what I do with my Nokia N800 already.

32GB is _nothing_, really. If I could get a 500GB card I would only relax slightly.

You should get some sort of battery-powered external hard drive for the Pandora.
flash apparently isn't good enough for your HD video editing or .. whatever the fuck you're doing with 500GB of camera.

But I'm also firmly opposed to moving parts! :D
I've waited for solid stage storage for decades now. I used to imagine stuff like the flash sticks we've got now.. at that time a CCT tape would carry 90MB and be unreliable as he**, and I had to carry a box full of tapes on my flights here and there. So I was daydreaming about science fiction-like tiny solid state cubes or sticks which could keep all my data.. yay!

Yeah that was my dream too - so was having a handheld with the power of a full computer, a mobile communicator and an electric car. Okay so no hoverboards or flying cars yet but the future looks bright!

Back