64 Gb Sdxc Cards

srusoff

Still Fresh
Just being curious will the new 64 GB SDXC cards function on the pandora.

If you buy me one, and pop it in the post to me, I promise to try it out for you as soon as possible. :D

This has been asked before (Quoted below, With source), Though not specifically 64GIG versions, And as far as i know,
There is still no change in the answer at this moment in time (Unless someone else knows different ?).

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53314-sd-cards/page__view__findpost__p__852241

WizardStan said:
SirisC said:
Would a SDXC card work? I know they are electrically compatible, but can the current firmware/drivers handle it?
I haven't seen anything that would seriously prevent it, yet. Other than the xFAT filesystem, perhaps, but we could get that eventually.
But no one has tried it, so no one knows yet exactly how the system behaves with one. Maybe it works directly, maybe it needs some tweaks, maybe it doesn't work at all.

Sorry to quote you stan, But your`s seems the logical answer, Until someone can confirm either way.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I can tell, everything hinges on getting exFAT working in Linux. Once that happens, it should be easy to get SDXC working. Keep an eye on this page for updates, as they're working on a FUSE-based driver. Does Angstrom include FUSE in the distribution?

exFAT is a proprietary file system, patented by Microsoft... so I'm a little unclear of the legal issues here... If support was included in the base Pandora distribution, would MS be owed royalties or something?

--Zero

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card#SDXC:
The SDcard association selected Microsoft's proprietary exFAT file system in the official SDXC specification; however, as with SD and SDHC, it is still a plain block device and thus arbitrary partitioning and other filesystems can be used, such as FAT32, NTFS, ext2, etc.
If exFAT isn't supported, why not just use another filesystem? :)

Qvazar said:
FAT32 can't be made larger than 32GB (with windows, although it can still access larger ones)
You could use NTFS, although I don't know how suitable it is for flash media.

Anything else isn't supported by Windows (fine if you never need to access it on a Windows system, but I don't trust that it'll never happen, personally)

You can create FAT32 larger than 32 gb in gnu/linux. I have 250 hard disk with fat32. Defrag and scandisk can spend hours repairing filesystems larger, heh. Windows 9x can format more than 32 gb, so the artificial limit comes with winnt.

Don't forget the 4 GB file size limit for this fileystem.

Aninhumer said:
Qvazar said:
FAT32 can't be made larger than 32GB (with windows, although it can still access larger ones)
You could use NTFS, although I don't know how suitable it is for flash media.

Anything else isn't supported by Windows (fine if you never need to access it on a Windows system, but I don't trust that it'll never happen, personally)

Or you could use a linux based filesystem like ext4 (or ext3) or something. I know that you can get drivers for at least ext2 and ext3 to mount on Windows.

Better yet, just make a samba share on your pc, and pull files down from that on your pandora. (I've been just streaming some of mine - roms, videos and music all work fine.)

emil10001 said:
Or you could use a linux based filesystem like ext4 (or ext3) or something. I know that you can get drivers for at least ext2 and ext3 to mount on Windows.
You can't just install the drivers on your friend's computer, or in an internet cafe, though, which is what I meant by needing to use a Windows PC.
If it's my own computer, it's dual boot anyway, so those ext2 drivers are just a convenience.

I formatted my external hard drive as NTFS for the same reason.
I can just take it to my friend's house and play videos fine.

Aninhumer said:
emil10001 said:
You can't just install the drivers on your friend's computer, or in an internet cafe, though, which is what I meant by needing to use a Windows PC.
If it's my own computer, it's dual boot anyway, so those ext2 drivers are just a convenience.

Ah, I see what you're saying. It's a valid point, but I am not sure that I would feel comfortable plugging my drives into other people's computers in the first place. Maybe if I knew them really well...

fdelapena said:

If you end up with a file greater than 4GB on your Pandora SD card please notify me, I'd love to know what you're doing.

Alerino said:
wasn't pandora limited to 32gb?

No, that was the limit of SDHC cards at the time of the Pandora's creation. Nowhere in the firmware does it limit the size of the SD card ports.

These cards are £200 anyway! You could buy... oh I dunno, a Pandora for that.

Exophase said:
fdelapena said:

If you end up with a file greater than 4GB on your Pandora SD card please notify me, I'd love to know what you're doing.

Well, considering I plan to view ISO's of DVDs on my Pandora, I can see putting a 4-8 gig file on the card and watching it on the Pandora, I don't think that's out of the ordinary.

I dunno for now I would recommend buying a ton of 8GB SD cards for that price, sure switching them in and out can be a pain but as long as you organize everything it's not so bad.

emil10001 said:
Aninhumer said:
emil10001 said:

Ah, I see what you're saying. It's a valid point, but I am not sure that I would feel comfortable plugging my drives into other people's computers in the first place. Maybe if I knew them really well...

The less I know about where you plug your drives, the better! ;P

-God Ginrai

Just throwing an idea out there: how about setting up a virtual file system that's accessible through the USB on-the-go port.

I bought 2 x Sandisk 64GB SDXC class 4 cards, which are now 'only' £94 from amazon.co.uk BTW. The Pandoroa wiki says they are compatible:

http://pandorawiki.org/SDHC_compatibility_list

However, the SD cards are NOT recognised by the Pandora, and do not display on the desktop. A 32GB card (FAT32) is recognised, so the slot works. I guessed that the exFAT file system was the issue, so reformatted a blank 64GB card with NTFS. After this, the card was recognised on the Pandora desktop, but when I double-clicked it, I got the message 'unable to mount the disk as unrecognised file system NTFS'.

So what now- will updating the firmware solve the problem? Grateful for any thoughts/help!

^ Have you installed the Community Codec Pack*? That will allow you to use the NTFS filesystem.

*(Re-hosted in this link, because it's currently unavailable on the app-store.)

Back