5" 1080p screens becoming a reality just in time for P2?

So, having an 1080p screen should not necessarily degrade performance or battery life (unless the screen itself needs more power).

Well yes, the screen itself will need more power. Watts per pixel will be better than with a lower resolution, but not that much better. You typically need a stronger backlight if the pixel density increases to get the same brightness, because the higher pixel density means more light is blocked. For example: exactly for this reason, the iPad 3 needs a 7 Watt backlight to get the same brightness as the iPad 2, which has a 2.7 Watt backlight. The LCD itself needs a bit more power as well. Overall, the iPad 3 uses more than twice as much power as the iPad 2, so although its battery is 70% larger (42.5Wh on the iPad 3, compared to 25Wh on the iPad 2), it still has significantly worse battery life: at max brightness, with wifi off and nothing running, it lasts 5.8 hours while the iPad 2 lasted 7.2 hours.

See also: http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_ShootOut_1.htm

I agree that if you render stuff at a lower resolution and use hardware scaling to scale it up, the power consumption of the CPU/GPU is not really an issue. But of course if you do that, you still get the disadvantage of scaling blur (which is probably not a big issue if the target resolution is that high) and the disadvantage of increased screen power consumption, and no advantage over a lower resolution screen. On the other hand, if you render things at full 1080p resolution, then you do have some advantage (better image quality, although I doubt you can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 5" screen), but it will have an impact on the CPU/GPU power consumption.

Note that we all want a larger screen for the Pandora 2, so even if the resolution doesn't change, it will need more power for the backlight simply because the area is larger. Let's not make things worse by also increasing the pixel density _that_ much. The pixel density of the Pandora 1 is very nice in my opinion, I wouldn't mind to have a bit more ppi, but please not too much. I want to be able to read text in default font sizes in the native display resolution.

If the GPU is doing the rendering and is capable of it at the resolution (which should be a given, because otherwise the resolution choice is just flat-out idiotic), then the higher resolution isn't going to actually slow anything down, because either way the CPU doesn't have to do it. The only programs that are going to be affected speed-wise are those that use software rendering.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd rather have 800x1280 than 1080p (540p pixel doubled) (because of the higher resolution)

I'd rather have 800x1280 than 1080p (native resolution (because desktop software will still display things at a reasonable size by default)

I'd rather have 800x1280 (native) than 1080p (800p pixel doubled) (because of scaling blur = worse accuracy)

No problem with 1080p hdmi out, though

If the GPU is doing the rendering and is capable of it at the resolution (which should be a given, because otherwise the resolution choice is just flat-out idiotic), then the higher resolution isn't going to actually slow anything down, because either way the CPU doesn't have to do it. The only programs that are going to be affected speed-wise are those that use software rendering.

A GPU doesn't have some binary quality of whether it "can" render at some resolution or not. If you render at a lower resolution you can get a better framerate and/or can perform more operations per pixel, improving image quality. It's all a tradeoff.

Glossy screens sucks.

I remember the first vaio it was so painful to work on it.

^ but then we can't say its a 1080p screen!

27*40=...

Having said that, a 1x1 screen is much easier on the GPU...

Let's have a 1x1 screen with extremely good subpixel rendering. And let's have not just the three RGB subpixels, but a 1280x800xRGB grid of subpixels. Great success!

Doesn't "PixelQi" already offer comparable small HD screens in b/w mode? Afaik there res is much higher then, so we could please everyone, the HD fetishists and the normal users. :D

Of course, PixelQi first have to build a 5" screen but this shouldn't be to hard for such a company.

While I'd greatly appreciate a transflective screen such as found on the Nokia N810, such screens may not feature the low ghosting required by our emulators.

I would really like a bigger (physical) screen mainly for web and movies, covering the full real estate of the lid. Speakers could be moved to the base (where the LEDs currently are placed). Only LED I need is power/charging and maybe SD access and wifi.

-wb- said the right things about resolution -- too high is bad for a number of reasons.

1080p in a 5" screen is pointless to the Nth degree. Let's agree on that.

My solution for various, modular Pandora Screens, so we can have cheaper or more expencive screens with different resolutions:

p2ldcconcept14govw.png

Stable "horns" guarantee a durable solution, maybe the fram can be made out of metal. LCDs are resting in a simple module, easy to replace and maintain. The LCD Module is not just a docking thing but a design part of the lid, especialy at the outside of the lid. In other words: imagine that it looks just good! ;)

Patent it while it's hot! :D

You then have a smaller screen, and an expensive engineering nightmare.

There are thing more worth worrying about in the P2 (including price, and it becoming a clone android box)

Also adding connectors there will tend to make the screen more letterboxy

Having said that, modern serial screen connectors should make such connectors easier

If there were to be cunning screen mechanics, I'd prefer something is the style of sharp c3200

You don't loose much space left and right of the screen, compared to the Pandora 1 it is a pretty "fullscreen" design of the lid, because there arte no speakers left and right. ;)

And it is actualy a much simpler design, with the "LCD modules" you can easily disassemble the modules to reach the actual LCD, I imagine some screws and you take the module apart, 2 shells, lcd in between, done. No more disassembling the entire hinge to reach the LCD.

I can imagine similar things for the Keyboard area, if we use the iCP2 design and add some space left and right to make it bigger for the Pandora 2, it could work pretty well.

The main reason I did this is because I will never pay a fortune to have only a HD screen as option. I don't want a expencive HD screen on "my" Pandora 2, no way, never, ever! :p

Back