5" 1080p screens becoming a reality just in time for P2?

I say: go for the 5" screen that has the best contrast, refresh rate, visibility in daylight, touch, low power consumption, low price, strength, etc. Resolution is really not that important anymore, anything larger than 1024x600 is enough.

No need to make the P2 $100 more expensive just to have extra pixels nobody can see while they do make your cpu/gpu work harder to get them rendered, and both the screen and the cpu/gpu use more power. At some point the extra pixels are no longer a feature. Full HD is fine for a projector or a 21" screen, but it is insanity for a 5" screen. I don't care that there are companies actually doing this - they are just foolish.

I'd like that but in order to reduce costs and saving performance I think 720p is a good compromise to meet everybodys wishes

How low is the reaction time of such dense screens? So many Pixels have to adressed... I have a bad feeling about this...

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed with _wb_. This is just a stupid idea - the pixels on the Pandora's screen are too small to see individually with any clarity, there's no need for this.

D.

I say: go for the 5" screen that has the best contrast, refresh rate, visibility in daylight, touch, low power consumption, low price, strength, etc. Resolution is really not that important anymore, anything larger than 1024x600 is enough.

No need to make the P2 $100 more expensive just to have extra pixels nobody can see while they do make your cpu/gpu work harder to get them rendered, and both the screen and the cpu/gpu use more power. At some point the extra pixels are no longer a feature. Full HD is fine for a projector or a 21" screen, but it is insanity for a 5" screen. I don't care that there are companies actually doing this - they are just foolish.

Because all phones will move to this resolution during 2013/2014, these screens will become the best value and quality.

Here's what I think:

If it makes sense (i.e. the best and most cost-effective screens are 1080p), go for it.

HOWEVER, maybe it makes sense to use a lower resolution anyway by default (like, instead of 1080p, use 540p), since the increased number of pixels isn't much of a benefit? Obviously, to do this, you'd need to make sure the screen you get supports this. So the screen looks good you'd also need to make sure that the scaling is integral (which is why I suggested 540p rather than 720p), unless the pixels are so small that the distortion from scaling non-integer amounts is unnoticeable.

One cool thing about this idea, actually, if it works, is if the 1080p screen turns out to be useful later, you can just change it to display in 1080p without even upgrading anything.

I like the idea of being able to play Full HD movies natively on a screen with the same resolution.

Because all phones will move to this resolution during 2013/2014, these screens will become the best value and quality.

Including iPhone, which didn't quadruple resolution again but only got a modest bump to maintain PPI across a larger size? Do you still think they'll have a 1080p phone?

Already discussed, a not-good idea to have 1080 p screens for so many reasons, but in a few points:

- you will take a severe hit in performance to display 1080p while you won't get much visual improvement

- the battery consumption will skyrocket and you can forget about the 10 hours battery life

No need to make the P2 $100 more expensive just to have extra pixels nobody can see while they do make your cpu/gpu work harder to get them rendered

I was thinking along the same lines, however with the hardware scalar it should not use much more energy to scale up a lower resolution to 1960x1080 or whatever.

I would much rather have a regular 4:3 screen not a wide screen, for our retro gaming a wide screen is not helpful.

But the shape of the iCP2 does suggest we are in for a wide screen.

The display itself uses more power if it has more pixels. iPad 3 is a glaring example of this; despite having 70% more battery capacity than iPad 2 its battery life is typically slightly lower. And that's not counting stuff like intensive 3D gaming - just things like web browsing that don't have that much in the way of heavy screen activity but do need the screen to remain on. Even at the same resolution Pandora's screen will use more power to attain the same level of brightness because that luminescence is distributed over a larger area.

Pandora's LCD was very low power consumption for its class. When picking a screen size only a few manufacturers make (that's being generous, right now it's just one manufacturer) it's less likely you'll be able to optimize as effectively for any other quality like power consumption or response time. I wouldn't be surprised if this particular 1080p display uses at least 4x the power that Pandora's does.

Pandora's LCD was very low power consumption for its class. When picking a screen size only a few manufacturers make (that's being generous, right now it's just one manufacturer) it's less likely you'll be able to optimize as effectively for any other quality like power consumption or response time. I wouldn't be surprised if this particular 1080p display uses at least 4x the power that Pandora's does.

Do you have any proof for the "4x power" statement, or are you just guessing? I feel like the OP team will do exactly what's best for the product as a whole. Personally, i think it would be really cool to have higher resolution screens. Perhaps it would help attract a wider audience to the device. One thing is for certain, we need something nicer as technology progresses.

I said I wouldn't be surprised if it were the case. I didn't say "this will be the case." So I hardly owe you any proof. I think I gave a pretty decent example though. Much better than sticking my head in the sand and assuming whatever OP does will automatically be the best possible decision.

As far as I'm concerned this device doesn't need the type of people who are attracted by shallow marketing.

Do you have any proof for the "4x power" statement, or are you just guessing? I feel like the OP team will do exactly what's best for the product as a whole. Personally, i think it would be really cool to have higher resolution screens. Perhaps it would help attract a wider audience to the device. One thing is for certain, we need something nicer as technology progresses.

Nothing wrong with getting better screens, but no need to appeal to "wider" audiences. If you want a 1080p screen you can get a phone in next year that can do that, so what? I fail to see the advantage of having 1080p resolution on such a small screen.

I think 720p makes sense because then you can have full-resolution browsing, which is a clear benefit. Anything above is just plain silly, and stupid marketing while it will kill your battery.

Ask yourself: would you rather have a 720p screen with 10+ hours battery life or or a 1080p screen with 5 hours battery life ? Because, the OP team WILL have to compromise there, unless they decide to make the P2 the size of a hamburger.

As I said, the current screen resolution (DPI) is fine - what we need is more CPU/GPU grunt and more RAM. A decent keyboard would be nice. The last thing on the list should be a higher resolution display. I must say, the more I read about the decisions being made for the P2, the less inclined I am to support it.

D.

As I said, the current screen resolution (DPI) is fine - what we need is more CPU/GPU grunt and more RAM. A decent keyboard would be nice. The last thing on the list should be a higher resolution display. I must say, the more I read about the decisions being made for the P2, the less inclined I am to support it.

D.

I don't think that whatever Craig says amount to "decisions" yet. We haven't heard that ED is thinking about all this.

Back