32 Dice release Just for you! (Update 1.9)

Majin Wamu

Powered by Pixels
Hello everyone! Sadly this is not a Pandora game release, but I am still learning how to port my games to the device.

Here is a game that I programmed real quick. Also all the images were made by me :) It is called 32 Dice! It is a simple board game and all you have to do is move one of your dice from your side of the board to the opposite. Once you reach the opposite end and your opponent is unable to attack it by your next turn, you win! The numbers on the dice indicate how far they can move in any direction. You can also move the die 90 degrees in any direction but you sacrifice moving your dice that turn.

I want to share this game with all of you. Try it out! tell me what you think and any suggestions or comments that you might have. I am working on an AI for the game but it has been very tricky so far. Sometimes the computer likes to cheat and go against the human rules just to win.

I killed all the apparent bugs and I have already played it several times with friends and family and it runs fine. If you find any you can just post to this forum, send me a message, or you can email me if you like.

you can download the game bellow. Please do and share the game! If you like this game I will be more than happy to post more of my games. I have quite a library.

If you like the game come by occasionally because I update my games often, clearing them of any bugs and improving the look and feel of each game. Even as you read this I am working on a newer version.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qmpv5ui17EU?feature=oembed

An image of the current version:

32%20Dice%20v1.7_zpsjwb04foy.png

1/15/2016
version 1.9
*Fixed a bug that would declare an early winner when the die to the left of the winner could had stopped the die from winning the game
*There is a now an edit mode that allows the players to set up the board however they like before they begin playing
*Blind mode was added which causes the dice to disappear after the second turn
*Fixed a rare bug that may cause the game to crash because the program was not creating the save file properly
*Now the color will change to red when red wins and blue when blue wins.
*Fixed a strange bug that ignored dice to the left of the second invading die and allowed the opposite player a quick win.

5/24/15
version 1.8
*Controls are much more responsive
*Players may now switch which die they would like to move by
simply selecting another die of their color
*Lifetime Stats are now collected and displayed on a status screen
*Added new sound for when the player turns a die
*improved computer player (but still needs a lot of work)
*Very minor change to the text in the options menu
*Title screen now displays the version number
*Now the last move square will reveal the computer's last move
*Computer's moves now appear in the undo box
*Shrunk the height of the screen
*Improved the code, which should allow smoother gameplay, but it makes very little difference, so it may not be noticeable.

5/3/15
version 1.7
*Rearrange the layout of the game screen and options menu
*Added a background for the options menu
*Added a box to the list of moves
*Added scrolling buttons for the list of moves
*Added several sounds to the main game
*Added options buttons to turn the music and sound on and off
*The board can now be turned off and on for an added challenge
*Shrunk the dimensions of the screen
*Fixed a very rare bug that will determined an early winner

1/24/15
version 1.6
*now the list of moves scrolls upwards instead of off screen when more than 23 moves are made
*Title Screen's framerate has been improved
*The game now selects the first player to move properly by determining who has the most 6s
*The game will put a crown on the winning piece
*Forfeit buttons have been added
*Dice are more responsive
*Changed the fonts
*Improved several images
*Added little captions that say the title of each button

7/12/14
version 1.5
*now the winner declaration no longer appears above the options and reroll buttons
*now if the die can not move at all, a red background appears
*fixed some of the shadows that showed up in illegal places
*a computer player has been added and the player can switch between a computer or human player
*the game now shows the last move that was made
*now restarting the game works properly (before it would not restart the turns and the last move)
*added a new purple box which indicates the last die that has moved
*added an undo button
*added a chart that shows every move that has been made

7/4/14
Version 1.4
*Fixed the bug that freezes the game when all of a player's dice has been taken off the table
*added shadows when a die is selected
*added a title screen
*added a options menu
*added the option to turn shadows on or off
*added a re roll button (restart button) - looks awful, I will change it later
*applied the new buttons to the main game screen
*Created a display that shows how many dice are left along with a meter
*added an extra layout for the dice (thanks to Steven Craft)
*the player can switch between either dice layouts
*added an animated background for the title screen

6/30/14
Version 1.3
*A message appears declaring the winner
*Added alternating colored squares.
*the dice controls box in the corner now change colors depending on whose turn it is.

6/29/14
Version 1.2
*Added a tally score for both players
*Began working on AI
*adjusted some of the code
*Now you can simply click the die twice to unselect it.
*fixed a bug that would cause the game to freeze if blue lost its chance to win
*fixed the magically deleting dice bug
*Fixed being able to select more than one die bug
*Fixed a bug were the one die would hide under other die of the same color.
*fixed another bug were dice were able to jump over other dice if they were moving up or down.

6/28/14
Version 1.1
*Shrunk the screen and moved all text to the left.
*Changed a bit of the code and fix minor bugs
*added images
*changed the look and display of the entire game.
*fixed a clicking bug were if you click too early the computer will apply it to the next button you hover your mouse over.
*created an icon
*added a no button when the game asks if you would like to continue

6/27/14
Version 1.0
*I began the project
*finished the first version of the game.
*game original rules and buttons that allow you to turn your die
*used simple colors and geometry to indicate the player's pieces
*the selected die shines gold when you select the one you would like to move.
*You can start a new game once a round has been completed

Attachments

• 32 Dice v1.9.2.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 365
Last edited:
Hmm I get a memory access violation error when attempting to run this in 64-bit windows 7.. It could be on my end since I rarely boot up to windows on my work laptop.

Just curious what was this written in? I'm Just curious how portable it is to Linux/Pandora.

Edit: strangely enough it works fine with Wine in Linux.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm I get a memory access violation error when attempting to run this in 64-bit windows 7.. It could be on my end since I rarely boot up to windows on my work laptop.

Just curious what was this written in? I'm Just curious how portable it is to Linux/Pandora.

Edit: strangely enough it works fine with Wine in Linux.
hmm, that is strange. Maybe I need to send you the actual images. I am happy you were able to get it to work. I have it running on a 64-bit windows 7 as well. I will give it a look. It is a compressed exe. I do most of my games in BASIC. If I knew more SDL and openGL I would use more C++ but I have been really busy lately.

The reason why I would get that before was because my virus scanner would interfere. I will test around with it later today and try it on different computers. Thank you so much for trying it out.

It works on Windows 8.1Update after downloading the DirectPlay library.

This is a pretty good concept for a game, although it is a little rough and ready :)

Do you plan to add a CPU player at some point? Playing by yourself (not with yourself ;) ) obviously isn't challenging, but it does allow you to grasp the concept.

At the end of the game you don't know who's won (unless you look at the score tally) - it just says "Play Again?" - Announcing a winner would be nice here.

One thing I would alter though is the blue info box - I'd change the colour of the box depending on which colour dice's turn it is.

But I can see this being a really nice game to "port" to the Pandora - I can help if you want. :)

It works on Windows 8.1Update after downloading the DirectPlay library.

This is a pretty good concept for a game, although it is a little rough and ready :)

Do you plan to add a CPU player at some point? Playing by yourself (not with yourself ;) ) obviously isn't challenging, but it does allow you to grasp the concept.

At the end of the game you don't know who's won (unless you look at the score tally) - it just says "Play Again?" - Announcing a winner would be nice here.

One thing I would alter though is the blue info box - I'd change the colour of the box depending on which colour dice's turn it is.

But I can see this being a really nice game to "port" to the Pandora - I can help if you want. :)
Hey thanks so much. Hahaha! You know what? I did have a declared winner at one point but I created an if statement that clears the text when a winner is declared like a dork haha. I will put it back up. Good catch! Also I am working on an AI (artificial intelligence) but it is very tough since this will be my first time doing it for a board game were the pieces are always random. At least in chess the pieces are always constant. So the computer will cheat, so I really need work on that. I am learning as I go.

As for the rough and ready, yeah I totally know, normally I have at least a title screen but I did this all in a day so I only took care of the important parts. Soon you will be able to alter the rules and increase the board size. I will also include an instructional page. I normally always do when it comes to my games but I really wanted to get this done first haha.

Also for the porting, that would be great. I have tried working through the tutorials with earlier projects but I got stuck at points. I really would like to port to the Pandora because I would totally bust out new games like crazy. I am completely self taught so there is a lot I don't know and probably don't understand. All the help I can get would be appreciated.

Thank you so much for your help and offering to assist me. I greatly appreciate it!

Edit: I have now added all the features that you have requested :) ... except for the computer player. That will take me time to complete. I am at the point were the computer can pick up a die and move it, but it is brainless right now.

What do you need to start porting it to the Pandora? It's done in what language/environnement? You noted Basic, but wich one?

What do you need to start porting it to the Pandora? It's done in what language/environnement? You noted Basic, but wich one?
If I need to rewrite it in another form of BASIC I can do that. The code is pretty short and simple. I just used Blitz3D IDE. It is pretty simple for me to use and make games. (Yeah I know I am lame haha).

Ah, Blitz3D is pretty popular. I don't know it but I guess it's simple and powerfull tool.

But no Pandora luck here.

You can try maybe QB64. It's an open source Basic alternative, probably not as powerfull as Blitz3D, especialy on the 3D side, but it exist on the Pandora.

Ah, Blitz3D is pretty popular. I don't know it but I guess it's simple and powerfull tool.

But no Pandora luck here.

You can try maybe QB64. It's an open source Basic alternative, probably not as powerfull as Blitz3D, especialy on the 3D side, but it exist on the Pandora.
Yeah I will begin using that. Once I have the code done can you help me with the next step? I will work on it throughout the week starting maybe Tuesday or Wednesday. Monday is going to be crazy at working.

I actually moved from Blitz3D to GLBasic without any problems, so porting shouldn't be an issue (or re-write as it seems simple enough, really).

Anyway, glad this is progressing :)

Sure I can try to help. At least if it's QB64. For GL Basic, this look like a powerfull tool too, but I don't have a licence so cannot help much, but other can probably.

Wow. That game reminds me of "Duell" by Parker, released in the 70s or 80s. Maybe in other countries this game had other names. A game that I really liked back then. Just digged it up again and made a photo for you:

IMG_1366.jpg

Instruction sheet:

IMG_20140701_0001.pdf

Is your game derived from Duell or related to that? 

It's a really appealing game that can for sure also be realized on Pandora...

It's a bit similar to Chess: The "King" dice needs to be protected. The player, who kills the other player's kind dice, or who brings his own king dice to the king field of the other player, wins.

Dice need to be "rolled" over the board, for as many fields as the dice shows before the move. You may change the direction of the dice within the move, but only once. The diagrams on the back of instruction sheet help you predict the number the dice will show after the move (considering zero or one direction change in the move). 

Daniel

Attachments

• IMG_20140701_0001.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 352
I actually moved from Blitz3D to GLBasic without any problems, so porting shouldn't be an issue (or re-write as it seems simple enough, really).

Anyway, glad this is progressing :)
I'll be posting a newer version either today or Thursday. It will have different options and very secret bug fixes that I found within the code. And awesome! So maybe I should start looking into openGL. I have been working with SDL lately but if openGL is easier I will jump straight to it. I also have college experience with JAVA but I don't really enjoy using it to be honest. I prefer C.

Sure I can try to help. At least if it's QB64. For GL Basic, this look like a powerfull tool too, but I don't have a licence so cannot help much, but other can probably.
Thanks again! You are always helping me out.

Wow. That game reminds me of "Duell" by Parker, released in the 70s or 80s. Maybe in other countries this game had other names. A game that I really liked back then. Just digged it up again and made a photo for you:

attachicon.gif
IMG_1366.jpg

Instruction sheet:

attachicon.gif
IMG_20140701_0001.pdf

Is your game derived from Duell or related to that? 

It's a really appealing game that can for sure also be realized on Pandora...

It's a bit similar to Chess: The "King" dice needs to be protected. The player, who kills the other player's kind dice, or who brings his own king dice to the king field of the other player, wins.

Dice need to be "rolled" over the board, for as many fields as the dice shows before the move. You may change the direction of the dice within the move, but only once. The diagrams on the back of instruction sheet help you predict the number the dice will show after the move (considering zero or one direction change in the move). 

Daniel
Hey thanks so much for the message. Actually I haven't ever heard of that game. The way I developed this game is by seeing a presentation of 32 Dice at the Marbles Brain store. I learned the rules and made my own version of it. I am happy you enjoy the game :) I am a HUGE fan of board games and I own closets and closets full of them (3 or 4 to be honest). If you would like, I can program that game as well. In time I will learn how to port to Pandora. August is a more open month for me so I may get more done then and then more people can enjoy my games from these boards.

I don't know if these are of any interest, http://subversion.assembla.com/svn/zodiacmonopoly/data/dice/ they are some dice faces that may look nice in your game. They are assets which I own/have rights to and you are welcome to use them in this project if you want to. You may prefer the current ones which is fine, just letting you know these are here if you want them!

Hey thanks so much for the message. Actually I haven't ever heard of that game. The way I developed this game is by seeing a presentation of 32 Dice at the Marbles Brain store. I learned the rules and made my own version of it. I am happy you enjoy the game :) I am a HUGE fan of board games and I own closets and closets full of them (3 or 4 to be honest). If you would like, I can program that game as well. In time I will learn how to port to Pandora. August is a more open month for me so I may get more done then and then more people can enjoy my games from these boards.
This would be very cool of course :)

Let me know, if you need a complete translation of the instructions.

Daniel

I don't know if these are of any interest, http://subversion.assembla.com/svn/zodiacmonopoly/data/dice/ they are some dice faces that may look nice in your game. They are assets which I own/have rights to and you are welcome to use them in this project if you want to. You may prefer the current ones which is fine, just letting you know these are here if you want them!
They are very nice and I do plan to add more dice to the game and the player can choose between which dice faces they prefer. Thank you so much for sharing I appreciate it greatly! Did you make these yourself? If so, there is another project I could really use your help on. Please send me a private message if you are interested in helping me.

Also as a neat feature, soon the player would be able to upload their own dice layouts and backgrounds into the game. I would had put that feature in but I held it off. A lot can go wrong when making something like that but I do plan to allow it soon with strict instructions for the user.

This would be very cool of course :) Let me know, if you need a complete translation of the instructions. Daniel
What I was thinking of doing was making the game and adding it to this game and you can select between the two instead of making a whole separate program. This game was simple enough, it would be awesome if there were more games attached.

Do you have a pandora?
Yep :) and I love it greatly. I can't wait for the Pyra. In fact on my profile I state most of the games I have finished on the Pandora.

FUTURE UPDATE ON ITS WAY:

So hey guys I am working on an amazing update and it is almost done. It wont have as much as I would of hoped but it does change a lot. For starters it has a title screen (if any of you would like to provide a title image that would be greatly appreciated). The title screen allows you to access the options menu, as well as the main game screen. The options menu only has one option which is to turn the possible dice move shadows on or off (I prefer to play with them off because in a real game you can not see all the possible positions, you must see them yourself), which also means there is now dice placement shadows. I also fixed a bug that can only be found if you tried it out. It is very unlikely that people would care to find it but if you were to kill all of one side's dice the game would still wait for that player to move on their turn. Now the game just automatically declares the winner upon killing the last die. The last things I added are visual updates and a button that allows the game to be rerolled and restarted. I am working on an undo button for future updates and the AI is slowly being worked on. I hope everyone looks forward to these future updates. This one should be out tomorrow or Friday. I am just working the title screen's display.

If you have any ideas or suggestions, or even rule alters that can be turned on and off in the menu (such as cheating like jumping over dice) let me know and I will add it, just to make everyone pleased.

@Majin the dice graphics were for a monopoly projects I worked on ages ago for Zodiac (sadly never got released, despite being mostly complete), a friend of mine created the assets, but they are free for you to do what you wish with them :)

@Majin the dice graphics were for a monopoly projects I worked on ages ago for Zodiac (sadly never got released, despite being mostly complete), a friend of mine created the assets, but they are free for you to do what you wish with them :)
Alright, so unfortunately you won't be able to help me with the sprites for my other games?

Back