3 Wiz's For Sale

Now it works. Thanks for the link.
Did you really put that up in just 20 days?
Then it is a good decision to keep going. ;)
It looks really cool. Something different, finally.
I will need some time, now.

Obviously the amount of feedback depends entirely on what you are developing and who wants it. I have a Vic20 I built out of 2 broken ones, one I bought for a quid and the other I found in a skip. Once I'd re-built it and hacked the 16kb expansion pack so I could play cartrige games using it I got it running pac-man and was really proud! The kid from next door came round cause I'd asked to borrow his sega gamepad to test out the joystick ports (I was at my parents house away from my retro collection at the time). He took one look at Vic20 pacman and said "how shit is that, I have a playstation 2". I still love my vic20 which I spent ages getting to work, everyone else just isn't interested, and thats fine. Frankly I'm not interested in an xbox360/Wii - each to their own.

You have to find people who are interested in what you are interested in, you actually have to go and look for them, cause they might not know that what you created exists. I'm happy to try anything out for a developer, I won't promise to play it for 1000 hours to iron out all the bugs, but I'll load it up, try it and give it an honest opinion, just PM me and tell me where I can download it in future.

The only alternative is to deliberately design something you know will be very popular, though it wasn't intentional thats what 'chp' did when he created win2x. I gave a constant stream of feedback on that because it was something I REALLY wanted to see working the best it could - many others joined in and added their ideas and suggestions too. Also EugeneP emailed me a number of builds of FX navigator to test, again it was something I found useful and was happy to help.

In short, if you want my feedback, and you arent creating something I'm going out of my way to look for I'll still be happy to give my opinion, provided YOU seek me out (shit, I like the A-Team). I'll do what I can to help out any developer who's creating stuff for the benefit of the GP2X Wiz community.

xteraco said:
Maybe I should hang on to my WiZ (at least one) and see if I can find something to code that I can appreciate more, and that isn't written for some compo. But that still might not get me the interaction I'm looking for. *sigh* I just don't know. Maybe I'm just crazy! :rolleyes:

How about a PSX emulator that has a frameskip option that actually works? You'd be a god to the WiZ scene if you managed to pull that one off ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi xteraco,

now I tried the game a few times and I have got some feedback. Hope you still like to work on it. I really like the game idea.

Most important, is it possible there is a bug in the controls? When turning left, I can press and hold the d-pad button. The truck will turn. Turning right, sometimes it doesn't work. i Just turns a little step and I have to press again and again... . This happens sometimes, but not permanently.

Then it would be great to have brakes or even a reverse gear. Stopping on the targets is really a pain - or maybe it's supposed to be?

Of course, it could be pimped by additional maps, special (e.g.hidden) items new enemies etc.

rds

Kasi

Kasi, I think your problem with the controls is because you accidentally hit the diagonal. I have noticed this myself. It would be very nice if it could be fixed though, i.e. left/leftup/leftdown all mean left, and the same for right.

kasi, try the test program that is under settings. It should show if you are pressing right, or right+down (or right+up) accidentally.

/Uni

I would perhaps take one of the "only used once" Wiz consoles for $90 but that may be too low for you. I am in the UK but postage would probably cost a small amount for such a light item. However, I'd appreciate some help with customs if you get my drift, ahem. ;)

On topic though, I can't test your game but I would give you feedback were it possible. If I get a Wiz I'll play your game. It's great to see every contribution but I guess the lack of feedback must be frustrating. Like I said though, if I get a Wiz I'll make sure to playtest your releases and give you proper feedback. You have fun doing it so you should continue. At the very least you're going to improve your programming skills anyway, and it seems you may want a career in that field.

u9i said:
Kasi, I think your problem with the controls is because you accidentally hit the diagonal. I have noticed this myself. It would be very nice if it could be fixed though, i.e. left/leftup/leftdown all mean left, and the same for right.

kasi, try the test program that is under settings. It should show if you are pressing right, or right+down (or right+up) accidentally.

/Uni

Hi Uni,

Thanks. That seems to be the case. I already suspected the d-pad but I did't think of hitting the diagonals.
It's up+right. It happens slightly more often than on the left side. I could even reproduce it.

Does it happen to others,too? If only left and right are used, the workaround should be simple, just interpreting up+left as left and up+right as right, right?
Of course, just taking care which button to press CORRECTLY does the trick, too.

Kasi

I found the Wiz scene a bit lacking too compared with other systems like the GP32 and even GP2X. Many Wiz emulators and even homebrew are just "drive by ports" where someone does a quick enough port to get it running, sometimes not very well, then never touches it again. The Wiz has a 3D GPU and almost no one has used it for anything other than a port of Quake and a couple of demos. The enthusiasm isn't there like it was for other consoles in the past.

I think it is just bad timing. The Pandora has siphoned many devs away, and the ones that were left ran off for the cheapoo Dingoo. The scene just got too fragmented. Back in the GP32 days it was pretty much the only decent open connsole around. Now there is a monsoon of super-cheap Chinese MP4s, the iPhone, the PSP and DS are cracked open as well. Too many shiny objects to attract the monkey.

kasi said:
[...] Does it happen to others,too? If only left and right are used, the workaround should be simple, just interpreting up+left as left and up+right as right, right?
Of course, just taking care which button to press CORRECTLY does the trick, too.

Kasi

Yeah, i often have the same problem.

The Wiz has a 3D GPU and almost no one has used it for anything other than a port of Quake and a couple of demos.

I'd love to use it myself, but its really a drag to find which lib to use, and which will give you the best performance, and so on .. If only someone at GPH were paying attention ..

torpor said:
The Wiz has a 3D GPU and almost no one has used it for anything other than a port of Quake and a couple of demos.

I'd love to use it myself, but its really a drag to find which lib to use, and which will give you the best performance, and so on .. If only someone at GPH were paying attention ..

i use opengl es for everything 2d and 3d. everything i handcrafted but it took indeed some time to get everything working - especially non-tearing mode ... i'd also like to see more support for the 3d unit of the wiz, because there are some serious bugs within the opengl es lib (memory leaks regarding texture memory, second texture unit not working) ... but maybe the 3d unit gets more attention if the ogre port somebody is currently(?) working on is getting fully integrated:

http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=56655

xteraco said:
I've decided to give up on the whole open hand-held scene. I bought them because I thought they would encourage me to code more, when in fact they have actually discouraged me. The turnaround time on the feedback that I thought I would get from the Pandora Angst compo has been a nightmare. For all I know only 2 or 3 people have seen my game, and not one of them gave me any criticism. It just hasn't been rewarding.
[...]

If you're into it for the feedback try doing web games. Many people will try it and you'll usually also get quite a bit of feedback.

Today's options are Flash, JavaScript (Canvas), Java, and Director. I've used the first 3 options. They are alright.

Back