2gb vs 4gb RAM

That's unfortunately how it works. Everywhere. Windows and Mac too. At least with linux you've got the option of turning on the flush or sync options, and you can see the remaining requests ticking down to zero.
not in windows . quick removal ie disable write caching on device and in windows is the default setting for USB devices

not in windows . quick removal ie disable write caching on device and in windows is the default setting for USB devices
That is new then, I'll have to check it out. I still remember Windows 8 needing to properly eject the device else it could corrupt written data.

Well now I'm disappointed in the Linux community. Sure it's good to have some config files to disable the write cache but if Windows has had a standard tick box for exactly that purpose then there's no reason that we shouldn't also have something similar in our file managers.

Well now I'm disappointed in the Linux community.
They usually don't cater to people acting lazy and stupid. This option exists to explicitly enable caching, not the other way round. It probably wouldn't exist if Microsoft didn't decide to take care of people who kept breaking their filesystems with the default configuration.

Instead, they made sure unmounting is more obvious and accessible to the average newbie.

They usually don't cater to people acting lazy and stupid
Mistakes happen, it's part of being human. Saying "we won't do this because it caters to lazy and stupid people" is basically saying "be perfect and if you aren't it's your own fault". I'm not suggesting caching be off by default, but there's a pretty good argument to be made that it should at least be optional, and with Linux pushing very VERY hard in recent years to be more user accessible that should include an easy check box for a very basic feature that I now see has existed on other platforms for years.

FWIW, I've never had filesystem corruption or lost/corrupted files due to yanking usb devices even before I learned to unmount properly on linux. That's a long time ago now, but I know I've broken more filesystems using fdisk before I mounted anything than I have from ripping an already mounted filesystem. Maybe I'm slow, but I also find umount usually completes practically instantaneously for me, even on slow media, which suggests that actually I'd have been fine just ripping it out. That'd would have left a broken mount though, and that can be slow to get rid of, so umounting properly is the approach I've landed on over the years.

You misconstrued what I was referring to by my use of "they." The antecedent was the videos, not the person who made them.

It sounds like for you, 2GB is sufficient but lots of people use lots of tabs, from my observations. People also often keep tabs open because they are reading at a specific place on a page.

My work involves lots of web applications, video editing, extensive Javascript debugging and flipping between many tabs. Without working OpenGL, this would be bad enough. With 2GB, it becomes much less possible.

The way most web developers are going, in a few years' I suspect almost everyone will hate having 2GB.

ARM binaries are smaller but that doesn't matter if you're required to use a lot of bloated web sites.

So your use case dictates what the product should do...or the likely product usage?

nope.

FWIW, I've never had filesystem corruption or lost/corrupted files due to yanking usb devices even before I learned to unmount properly on linux.
Well then you have been lucky. I lost a fairly new USB key (and a USB mp3 player) to Windows XP for yanking it out (totally dead, no revival possible) without unmounting it first. And two on the Pandora for removing the 2nd SD card while on suspend. This month I had to reconstruct an ext4 (remove the journaling, fsck, and recreate it) in order to access a dead SD card (which was unmountable after I bumped my Pandy and it rebooted). I tend to download from youtube (watch later) and put those files on a SD card (to watch/listen to on the Pandora). It sometimes takes more than a minute to "unmount"... even after the copy is done and I get returned to the prompt; the SD card light keeps blinking... so there is a buffer somewhere that takes care of flushing, only it is slower (I tend to buy slow/cheap SD cards(Kingston) instead of the very expensive SD cards(SanDisk))

speaking of 2GB vs. 4GB, seems like the 2GB (if they get produced) will be collector's items...

Back