2gb Sd Cards And Gamecube Warez

spray

PSP pwner
Website
Visit site
The recent flurry of chips made available for the Gamecube has rekindle my interest in a console that has largely been gathering dust next to the tv.

Chips are getting more advance to a point where, with the right BIOS, backup games can be played without swapping discs. However something that has got me pondering is the possibility of running games from an SD Card using SD Loader.

Obviously the first hurdle would be to get hold of an SD card big enough to hold a game (approx 1.3GB) but as soon as these are around, would an SD card be a viable option?

To load actual gamecube games (.gcn) the sd loader would have to be rewritten, it currently only supports .dol format which is by definition homebrew only (+ snes, genesis emulators etc ;)) Also the way the loader works is it loads the whole .dol (be it Chrono Trigger, SF2 Turbo etc) into memory. Which is fine for current SNES / Gen roms etc, but for a gamecube you would be loading 1.3GB into xxMB of RAM.

If you really want to go down this route, your best bet is to use sdload to get to GCOS and have a case mod to play burned DVDs. (Don't quote me on that :p)

Don't forget SD cards, like SM/MS/CF etc, all have finite erase/write cycles. Also, with the size of GC games, your paying a lot of money to play a single game - may as well buy the original !

yeah, that's how it is with the gc, just buy the original. it's such a hassle to get pirated games to work, and there are only a handful of great gc games and most of those are already in the bargain bin.

if you REALLY want to play stuff like that the easiest thing to do would be to get the silver GC that has a DVD player, then you could burn stuff to DVD and run it off that. Maybe :unsure:

no, cuz then all you'd have to do is take the top off your gc and load dvd-rs that way, but you can't w/o some hacked bios running

You need a chip, such as the Viper or qoob.

EDIT: Did Rico post here and then remove it or was that some sort of bug?

@junker

Theres more than a handful of good games for the GC, although it is true that a lot of good games are stupidly cheap now. I saw Eternal Darkness (one of the best games of this generation) for seven pounds.

just looking for a quick answer to this one, how is the state of emulation on the GC so far, compared to the Xbox? You guys getting me interested in chipping my GC....

to run something inferior to neogenesis or snes9x?! i'm tempted myself, but there's no reason cept for running pirates which i don't care for. maybe if i was a developer that wants to do stuff for gc..

concept,
yeah you're right. the gc is a great system to pick up now, hehe

junker posted on Apr 15 2005 at 04:09 AM said:
but there's no reason cept for running pirates which i don't care for

I know what you mean, I've just modded my xbox and without ftp access (grrr...) all I can do is d/l and play pirate games. Which I don't particulalry want to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
GC games are dirt cheap. If I pirated them all I wouldn't appreciate them nearly as much as I would if I bought them. Also I'd rather Nintendo had more money :D

In Aus 2 year old gamecube games cost more than new PS2, Xbox games... just noticed an ad in the paper for viper modchips.

Would those mini dvd-r discs work?

Just take a dremel to your gamecube to make it accept the full size dvdrs, as your unlikely to get much for them now anyway. I bought a (supposedly) brand new one for £30, so I wouldn't like to think what second hand ones go for...

Man I miss my GC...sold mine to Gamestation for £20 back in october and it was perfect with all packaging and a memory card.

Tempted to pick another up just for laughs...introducing smash bros to a student house would be so much fun...wouldn't bother with the homebrew/emu I would get a DC(again) or a PS2.

if youre gonna buy a new one get the resi 4 pack

for £100 u get a platinum-esque gamecube with controller (both with resi logos on) +resi 4 + Metroid Prime 2

c0ncept posted on Apr 17 2005 at 10:44 AM said:
junker posted on Apr 15 2005 at 04:09 AM said:
but there's no reason cept for running pirates which i don't care for

I know what you mean, I've just modded my xbox and without ftp access (grrr...) all I can do is d/l and play pirate games. Which I don't particulalry want to do.

man, just go pop in a slayer's cd and do the install for evox and junk. then ftp easily to your box and mix things up(the slayer's disc has old apps/vers, and evox isn't the best dash).
the installer disc makes things a bit easier, although you could just make an evox cd with your own ini settings and ftp that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back