2016 is the year of portable computers

Stellanatus

I love me some portable eliteness... :3

I just day dream about going out and messing around while on the bus or at work during a break.

I guess the topic is: What gadgets are you looking forward towards?

Cs5qAmf.png

Last edited by a moderator:
...cheap!? You know the 290€ for the Pyra are just a part of the payment, right?

Other than that, I'm really looking forward to both devices. I probably won't buy a Smach Z, but the reviews are going to be quite interesting

...cheap!? You know the 290€ for the Pyra are just a part of the payment, right?

Other than that, I'm really looking forward to both devices. I probably won't buy a Smach Z, but the reviews are going to be quite interesting

I have no idea what the Pyra price will be. If its under $800 then its in my budget. Its importance is pretty high to me for its portability and productivity. Emulating is pretty nice too.

Estimates are currently putting the Pyra at around 600EUR which, at the current exchange rate, is about 650USD (or 900CAD, fuck you Harper)

Could be as high as 700EUR though, with the cell module.

I too am looking forward to both of those beauties!

Mostly the Pyra    [is Pyra looking set to be late in 2016 release then? I've still some official Pyra news threads to catch up with]

I'm also looking forward to getting/playing the GPD XD, which I know is a 2015 release, but I won't be able to get mine until after the new year.

Potentially something from Nintendo too? The NX potentially being a mobile hybrid? That will likely be of interest to me too

Since yesterday, i have the Revo K101 Plus GBA Clone, dos this also count??

I have the Pandora, and are one of the Pre Pre Orderers of the Pyra, which shall be shipped in 2016

A Smartphone also is a portable computer..

Mybe "Poketable Computer" would be a better term for us..

Reactions: rSl
I'd recommend you delete that image.  If it gets indexed by search engines and causes people to think a pyra costs only 290EUR then it could cause problems down the line.

That 'steamboy'/Smach Zero looks nice, not sure if it works as nice without a keyboard. And $300 is not that expensive, they need to produce a bunch for that price.

Im failing to see what you would use the smach z for if you factor in that you have a pyra. Ok, it runs steam, then what?

Fps games? The controls will take you to town and spit you out.

If you play alone, you can stream to your box and take the hit on lag. So thats one point. Moreso if you are outside of home, but that means laggy mobile internet and then we are laggy again. So solo first person.

In zones where you have access to wifi and not a computer, ok.

Dota? No, not at all. Whoever pondered this idea, has only seen the minimum requirements and not actually played dota.

For the games you can play on a handheld, those games are already available in the form of Android.

The ideal solution isn't getting another handheld, without keyboard or dual analog.

More powerful ARM hardware is on the rise, so is real desktop linux|gnu thereon. Hoping 2016 will be the beginning of the consumer end for X86_64

That to me is actually a sad thing for the linux world. I am hoping, that people who never had the choice won't actually start to believe that linux is anything like android or ChromeOS. I have become quite a hater of android and related products. It's a very well integrated linux from what I can tell, but it's missing the main points: security and stability. So really not much of the unix/linux philosophy left there. Well, yeah you can install your own "apps"... at least that's more than apple lets you do.

So I'd rather say: This is the year in which linux for end consumers is being crippled even further.

Hoping 2016 will be the beginning of the consumer end for X86_64

Why? I have come across this attitude before, but I have not yet been given a convincing argument for it. I am aware that the x86_64 instruction set is reputed to be convoluted (though I believe that it is less bad than 32-bit x86, with my own fiddling with x86_64 (I built a non-x86 assembler in x86_64) requiring only a few instruction types, so I did not need to learn about too many), but I do not see how that affects those programming anything above assembly. I am aware that some licensing deal must be done with Intel and/or AMD (though I am baffled that there are only Intel and AMD, while ARM licences out to many different manufacturers) in order to produce x86_64 CPUs. I am aware of the increasing dangers of an Intel monopoly (but not of the reasons for this).

So, why?

Well most likely you are thinking on a different level than most non-technical users. As for Why some linux users may want to hover towards x86 is the recent love for Linux in the gaming industry driven by Valve and steam. But I fear that it may mostly be the misconception that having an x86 processor in a handheld will automatically make it capable of running Windows and all the games that comes with that. 

edit: Totally mis-understood the post you were responding to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Outside of technical reasons;

Because there is also VIA, barely selling enough to make it not a de-facto monopoly. While AMD needs to stay competitive to sell even some things, its competing against a RND budget that is out of scale. Intel, being the abuser that it is, takes advantage of it, to the detriment of consumers, and their privacy.

Intel, being the abuser that it is, takes advantage of it, to the detriment of consumers, and their privacy.

My CPU is from Intel. What are they thought to be doing?

Regarding abuse, in general, any monopolist can do it -- why must there be a (near) monopoly for x86 while not for ARM? A cheaper licence for ARM? x86 too difficult to make a good implementation for?

Am I right to think that your only non-technical objection to x86 is the increasing monopoly risk from Intel?

PS: I am almost grateful that no technical reasons were mentioned, as I have seen discussions about those last many pages, ending inconclusively.

Back