1ghz NOW or pyra when?

codifies

Very Active Member
And eta is a bit like asking the length of an invisible piece of string, but I *guess* it must be a year away - even being optimistic these things take way more time than you'd ever believe

So the 1ghz Pandora now in my hand.... I owned a few self dismantling (British made) Pandoras (I returned a few before giving up) and recon that spec hike in things like the memory could be real sweet....

On the other hand dual core....

Gah I just can't make up my mind....

Depending on what are your needs, but yeah the pyra is at best a year away. So get a 1Ghz while there still some available :)

Oh sebt3 you terrible person how can you tempt me so....

That is the way I'm leaning and it would be nice to think a few years down the line e.d. wasn't having to make a loss on old Pandoras...

I remember when I was a kid and I had this "perfect spec" fantasy! (Mark of a true geek!) It was a desktop that the Pandora would have laughed at... Mind you that was over 20 years ago... Can you imagine what great grandson of pyra will be like in another 20 years? Ya gotta love the pace of tech!

Oh sebt3 you terrible person how can you tempt me so....
You asked for it :D Go ahead, click that buy now button... NOW :D
I remember when I was a kid and I had this "perfect spec" fantasy! (Mark of a true geek!) It was a desktop that the Pandora would have laughed at... Mind you that was over 20 years ago... Can you imagine what great grandson of pyra will be like in another 20 years? Ya gotta love the pace of tech!
I doubt there will be anything like the pyra in 20years....

I would get a 1Ghz now and a Pyra whenever it is available. If money is an issue, then sell the 1GHz on eBay before you buy the Pyra. Since the Pandora is now a limited-edition collector's item, it shouldn't lose too much of its value if you take good care of it.

Or buy a classic cc from the trade section or even a new one from ED - 239,00 €. Most games / app will work fine on the classic version.

I would get a 1Ghz now and a Pyra whenever it is available. If money is an issue, then sell the 1GHz on eBay before you buy the Pyra. Since the Pandora is now a limited-edition collector's item, it shouldn't lose too much of its value if you take good care of it.
That's wishful thinking, again :)  

When the Pyra is about to come out I predict Pandoras will be available for pretty cheap...

"Collector item" -> tons of limited edition hardware come out every year (look at gaming consoles, special phones, etc) and most of them actually lose value just like regular items... 

Think key thing is to do you want and will you use the Pandora if you had one now. If you do, why not get one now and have the enjoyment of it until if and when you decide to get a Pyra after they become available.

Even if the Pyra gets released, your Pandora should still work, so, you'd continue to get your money's worth from it.

And if you were to sell it just before or after Pyra comes out, by then you will have gotten value out of it such that even if you sell for a bit less than it cost now, if you spread the amount you lose on sale over the months you used it, you'll probably see that the cost of ownership per month is not much.

Also, as others have said Pyra is probably about a year away, unless things go super smooth this go around....and there's alway the chance that it might take longer than a year. So, in that case, you will have wished you had a Pandora for that time.....

Just my 2¢.......of course, YMMV.......

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's wishful thinking, again :)

When the Pyra is about to come out I predict Pandoras will be available for pretty cheap...

"Collector item" -> tons of limited edition hardware come out every year (look at gaming consoles, special phones, etc) and most of them actually lose value just like regular items... 
But but but you've been saying we can't compare the Pandora with any of those ;)

The Pandora is SPECIAAAL!

Think key thing is do you want and will use the Pandora if you had one now. If you do, why not get one now and have the enjoyment of it until if and when you decide to get a Pyra after they become available.

Even if the Pyra gets released, your Pandora should still work, so, you'd continue to get your money's worth from it.

And if you were to sell it just before or after Pyra comes out, by then you will have gotten value out of it such that even if you sell for a bit less than it cost now, if you spread the amount you lose on sale over the months you used it, you'll probably see that the cost of ownership per month is not much.

Also, as others have said Pyra is probably about a year away, unless things go super smooth this go around....and there's alway the chance that it might take longer than a year. So, in that case, you will have wished you had a Pandora for that time.....

And if if the Pyra won't ever come out, the Pandora will be priceless ;)  Yeah!  So get one now, you can't lose ;)

Think key thing is do you want and will use the Pandora if you had one now. If you do, why not get one now and have the enjoyment of it until if and when you decide to get a Pyra after they become available.

And if if the Pyra won't ever come out, the Pandora will be priceless ;)  Yeah!  So get one now, you can't lose ;)
You're right!.....so, should probably buy 2 of them!.....  ;)

I also think the prices of the pandoras will keep going down. These are more like computer parts than devices with exclusives games. Anyway, if I needed a pandora today, I think I would go with a cheaper classic so I could wait for the Pyra to upgrade and not loose too much money in the process.

When the Pandora was to preorder in 2008, also the GP2X Wiz came out,

It was a nice Piece of Hardware, and not as expensive as the Pandora...

I remember, i ditnt want to buy one, because the Pandora to be come out in "Two Months"..

But when i think of it today, i think a Wiz until the Pandora came out would be it worth, but now its to late..

To shorten the Waitingtime for the Pandora, you need a Pandora, so i think it also works for the Pyra..

Back