1gb Sd Card

foleyjo

If I have an SD card that claims to be 1GB is it right that I should only be allowed to format it to 968MB??

Im really confused as to where my other 52MB is as i cant see any reason something would take up this space.
:unsure:

1 Gb = 968MegaByte
1Mbit = 1.048.576 bits

Like a 200 gb HDD has only 189 gb storage ^^ it's all in the bitts and bytes

Thanks man.

Im a bit peeved coz Im sorting out films to take on holiday and I have been making 1GB packs to put on said cards.

If anyone is interested Morrisons at Teesside park near middlesbrough have been selling 1gig cards for £6 which is why I chose 1GB film packs

--I like this bit
"Some consumers feel short-changed when they discover the difference, and claim that manufacturers of drives and data transfer devices are using the decimal measurements in an intentionally misleading way to inflate their numbers, though these measurements are the norm in all fields other than computer memory.
Several legal disputes have been waged over the confusion. "

It reminds me of me when i started this thread

When the hell did that happen? :eek:

I always assumed
1KByte = 1024 bytes
1MBytes = 1024 KBytes
1Gbytes = 1024MBytes
etc.

Been doing that for over 20 years (ouch) now.

Anyway I also assume that since you are formatting a card you are going to lose space to the file system table as well which is worth bearing in mind.

semyaza said:
Anyway I also assume that since you are formatting a card you are going to lose space to the file system table as well which is worth bearing in mind.
Yeah but 52mb for a filesystem seemed a bit big to me

Last edited by a moderator:
Back