100 years of IBM

I was just a kid when OS/2 came out and lacked the money and the technical skill I have today to explain to my parents why it would have been a good thing, so DOS it was for a few more years.
I was 17 at the time and bought the PC from a friend with a part time job in a computer shop, he had just spent a large portion of his student grant on a "blisteringly fast" 486 DX4-100 that he built himself through his job and was suspiciously also the first person I knew using windows 3.11 for workgroups.

thinking back on it I feel rather hard done by that I've not yet had my home virtual reality system (since VR was "the future" of gaming at the time) ...and dont get me started on the hoverboards from Back to the Future! :lol:

/offtopic

Ah IBM, I remember going to Software ETC to by computer games and the choices were mainly Apple, Commodore and IBM. Damn, I'm old!

Anyone ever read about their alleged dealings with the Nazi regime? http://news.cnet.com...2_3-269157.html

Most likely just people trying to get some free money out of them but an interesting topic nonetheless.

That's a pretty good article on that topic. I would place plenty of weight on it as closer to fact than merely an attempt to wring a few quid out of IBM though, but that's personal opinion. Coca-Cola had similar dealings that they deny, despite people owning the advertising printed on SS training manuals and trying to get the museum of Coca-Cola to display them etc. Money and greed and business as usual I fear. Lots of cash in war time, hence the perpetual illegal ones our War Criminal leaders are always greasing their friends palms with nowadays. I've heard IBM are into implantable rfid projects aswell now.... lol.

Wow, I didn't even know about Coke's history with them, I'm gonna have to look that up. While it's public knowledge that IBM tech was used by the Nazi's I don't really believe the argument that they knew full well what their products were being used for and continued to seek business relations with them. The Nazi's did in fact just basically walk into German businesses and take them over to help with the war effort. The German division of IBM was no exception to this i'm sure. While it is possible that the events did transpire that way it's not very plausible imo. That would have been corporate suicide if the truth had come out back then, and besides, wouldn't the Americans or Russians have found some evidence to support this when Berlin fell? I don't know, maybe i'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt. :unsure:

youd be surprised how many great inventions germans came up with during the nazi era, the medicine company, Bayer, also made its name known during that time because of the nazi regime and have come up with some of the greatest drugs, legal and illegal, that are still used at a substantial rate. siemens is another company that had ties with the third reich, same with FAG, same with BOSCH, and volkswagen, Allianz insurance company, Hugo Boss did the uniforms, even Henry Ford(first mass produced car manufacturer) has a Nazi medal for work he did with hitler. nazis were also a huge reason in automotive innovations and might be the biggest reason for the legendary autobahn being created. Albert Einstein, you know, the guy you quote in your signature, did a huge amount of research for hitler. theres a little bit more to this story then just "oh they killed some jews for no reason"

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of technology come from World Wars. Imagine the tech that would come out of WWIII (during and afterwards).

IMO, world wars are only good for the technology that come out of it during and after it.

youd be surprised how many great inventions germans came up with during the nazi era, the medicine company, Bayer, also made its name known during that time because of the nazi regime and have come up with some of the greatest drugs, legal and illegal, that are still used at a substantial rate. siemens is another company that had ties with the third reich, same with FAG, same with BOSCH, and volkswagen, Allianz insurance company, Hugo Boss did the uniforms, even Henry Ford(first mass produced car manufacturer) has a Nazi medal for work he did with hitler. nazis were also a huge reason in automotive innovations and might be the biggest reason for the legendary autobahn being created. Albert Einstein, you know, the guy you quote in your signature, did a huge amount of research for hitler. theres a little bit more to this story then just "oh they killed some jews for no reason"
Wait, what? When exactly did Einstein work for Hitler? He was in California when Hitler came to power and being born of jewish parents he never returned home to Germany. In fact he settled in Princeton that same year, 1933. Is that some obscure conspiracy theory because I don't recall ever reading that? Maybe you meant indirectly? Meaning Nazi scientists using his research to aid them in trying to create the atom bomb?

While it's true those companies did deal with the Nazis it seems most did it mainly to keep their profits in the German market. Bayer, Siemens and IBM on the other hand have been accused of directly helping the Nazi's with the extermination of the jews. Bayer invented Zyklon B, Siemens built the gas chambers and IBM made the punch card database that was used in the camps. It's been said that IBM helped make the Nazis more proficient in killing people. That's a bit different than selling them cars and soda imo.

A lot of technology come from World Wars. Imagine the tech that would come out of WWIII (during and afterwards).

IMO, world wars are only good for the technology that come out of it during and after it.
If there's ever a WWIII, the only thing new from that will be massive fallout.

the advance of tech due to the threat of WWIII during the cold war is quite amazing when you look at it, I reckon if the Soviet Union had not collapsed neither side had launched any attack we would have seen some pretty crazy sci-fi type stuff by now

I know the goofy guy staring across the Tray of Xbox 360 modules.. I work at IBM's Semiconductor testing facility, All three of the current Game systems get pushed through there. I wish I could say I had something to do with it.. but I only deal with creating test solutions for Custom Logic / ASICs.

You luck person, you! Now, seriously! Give us a scoop of Wii U info that we don't already know! :p

the advance of tech due to the threat of WWIII during the cold war is quite amazing when you look at it, I reckon if the Soviet Union had not collapsed neither side had launched any attack we would have seen some pretty crazy sci-fi type stuff by now
I know, right. And hopefully Apple and it's iProducts wouldn't have ever come to fruition. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back