100 Hand Painted Special Edition Pandoras

Elwing said:
yes, I find it fair too, we bought something guaranteed only to 600MHz...
what I would not find fair would be:
getting a "guaranteed 600MHz pandora that has 2900/4000 chance to run up to 800MHz" instead of "guaranteed 600MHz pandora that has 3000/4000 chance to run up to 800MHz" because they cherry picked some of the good one... with 3000/4000 running at 800 MHz it's not too bad, now imagine the same figure but with only 300/4000 getting to 800MHz...
I'm not going to debate that until after Craig tells us how and where he's thinking these 100 special ones are going to come from. Any anger and speculation is entirely premature in my opinion.
All I'm saying is that if two people get a Pandora, one can only reach 600 while the other can reach 900, the 600 one is not in the lose and has no right to complain. Both are getting exactly what they paid for and should be happy, the 900Mhz one just got a very fortunate bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:
paddy said:
Ok ,say 1000 out of the 4000 pandora boards do not clock past 600mhz ,the other 3000 guys are all having fun running everything better and more apps ,emulators/homebrew software in general are then writen for above 600mhz ,what about the poor 1000 600mhz max customers ,do you think this is fair ,really do you think this is fair ?
Yes. I do think so. :p I was told that I was paying for a unit that can do 600MHz (actually, at the time, if memory serves, it was being said by some that 500MHz was probably what it would be!). Anything else is just a bonus.

I think some people here have more money than sense ! and very blind at the same time,i also thought the pandora was a collectable from the offset but apparently not now there will be better pandora units out there to the select few and i am supposed to be happy with this even tho i have been here for 2 years waiting.
Hang on a minute. I thought you didn't re-order after the credit card problems, declared you didn't want one anyway because it was (if my memory serves me correctly) "running crappy linux", and then went and bought an x86-based handheld, but eventually re-ordered a few months ago? :p How is that two years waiting?

jumpman said:
A friend of mine bought a DSi, and then a week later the XL model was anounced. He was pissed off, but it wasn't the end of the world.
Goodness, why? The XL is a DSi with a bigger physical size - was he really ticked off that he got a more pocketable machine? :blink:

I am angry with the thought fo these getting priority over our pandora units and the cherry picking ,this is where i am coming from, if OPT decide to do these 100 after we all get our pandora units thats fine but will there be 100 800mhz boards availn at this point ? i think even if they wait they will still be picking from the first 4000.

I also don't like the way they are making more money out of this ,again priorities not in the right place and as i stated and asked Craig and Ed directly yesterday ,when you need help then lets us all do a call to arms and get that dev fund up so it can take the pressure off OPT and get the units out asap ,i am more than willing to donote some money ,yes i will be as sick as a dog if i get a pandora that can only do 600mhz while some u guys have way beyond that and even making youtube vids of it ,i am jelious that way ,can't help it ,ohh and this would be like jim and john have pandora ,jim can run dreamcast and n64 fullspeed ,john can't run shit ,ohh wait john preordered two years ago ,jim put his order in at the last miniute before production ,sorry but i can't see any fairness is that at all.

im saying no more about it ,WizardStan yes m8 i do see your point but still it's a bitter pill to swallow.

A song that fits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfL4pVRk8Qo

Prometheus ,i don't say everything on forums ,i have still a preorder.

paddy said:
Prometheus ,i don't say everything on forums ,i have still a preorder.
I know. :) I'm just recalling what you have said on the forums - do pardon me if I'm mistaken.

Anyway, here's hoping you're a lucky one who gets a unit that can overclock, eh? :D Good luck!

paddy said:
jim can run dreamcast and n64 fullspeed ,john can't run shit ,ohh wait john preordered two years ago ,jim put his order in at the last miniute before production ,sorry but i can't see any fairness is that at all.
John rolled his die two years ago and got a 5. Jim rolled his die just a few minutes ago and got a 6. Jim wins. Welcome to the world of randomness!
From what you seem to be saying, the only "fair" thing would be to pick through every single one and send the fastest ones to the early customers. Even before this whole idea of 100 guaranteed overclock was even mentioned, your scenario was a possibility. You shouldn't be getting so upset in that regard. Nothing has actually changed; someone who just ordered last week, getting the very last Pandora that comes off the assembly line, could get a better overclock than the very first person. That's the way things work sometimes.
Craig had an idea but hasn't explained how it will be implemented yet. He's had lots of ideas that have been abandoned for logistics reasons and this might even become one of them.

Paddy: I think that You take it in wrong way. I expect that only a few Pandoras can't go over 600 MHz if any. I think that this 100 will be just checked that run 800 MHz stable for sure. Nothing more.

Actually I think about "hand painting" again. It will be probably too expensive for me because hand craft is expensive by its matter. But I'll be very appreciated with signed Pandora with cover coating to protect signs. If developers (Craig, ED, MWeston, MFK and e few core SW devs) sign my Pandora with thin silver marker and coat with sturdy varnish... WOW :) I'll pay up to $50 (including VAT) - especially if it will be tested for 800 MHz run.

But Yes, I'll be against massive testing (cherry picking - if You want). Say more that 200 - 300 pieces.

edit: I'm very probably in first 500.

mmm i wasnt aware of this scenario before, dont know how i missed it but yes i would be very dissapointed to recieve a lower clocked unit compared to be able to overclock to 800mhz, i understand whats going to happen
but hopefully craig has an idea of some sort to put some ppls minds at ease like myself, i was looking forward to some n64 gaming but now worried that may not happen and others will have this opportunity
also im in the first 1000 orders

Prometheus said:
Goodness, why? The XL is a DSi with a bigger physical size - was he really ticked off that he got a more pocketable machine? :blink:
It's a trade-off. Those of us with large hands are always fighting pocketable -vs- doesn't-make-my-hands-hurt. It's a tough choice.

I imagine people who are farsighted have similar issues.

Ah, makes sense. My bad, I honestly didn't think of that. :) (Though, come to think of it, I've noticed the sightedness thing being focussed on - pardon the pun - in some of the advertisements for the device).

jumpman said:
I would imagine it will be down the line at some point.

by the sound of this quote:

craigix said:
The money raised will go to our assembly costs in the UK (food, accommodation, equipment, flights etc.)

It would be sooner rather than later.

Will there be an upgrade option for first batchers I wonder? My friend who is getting one of the two I ordered would be all over this.

How would they be sold exactly? imo, they should be offered to the first batchers in order of the que.

Haha oh shi...
Worst case scenario:
craig/whoever tests the first pandora to be shipped:
"oh lets see, this pandora only does 700mhz, lets ship it."
"great the second one does more than 800mhz, put it on the special edition pile!"
"third one is another one we can ship now, it cant be overclocked to 700mhz"
"...thats the last one of the 100 guaranteed-to-work-at-800mhz. The other 300 guaranteed-NOT-to-work-at-800mhz we had to test can go out now."

That would basically mean that the first few hundred or dozend pandoras that will be shipped will not run at 800mhz and that would be fucking stupid.(especially since i placed my order as soon as it was available and i'm pretty sure i'm one of the 100 first to order one.)
So please randomize the process of picking the 100 special edition pandoras or just paint them.

serious.jpg

Attachments

• serious.jpg
    serious.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 61
Hmmm, let's see here, if there are 4000 Pandoras being made, and 100 of them will be taken out of this batch which certainly go to 800mhz...

So the amount of "defective" Pandoras overall (using defective to refer to not reaching 800mhz, though that isn't technically defective I suppose), let's call that D, so the percentage chance of getting a defective Pandora if you have the entire 4000 to choose from is 100D/4000. Now if we take 100 certainly overclockable Pandoras out, your chances of getting a defective: 100D/3900.

So, if we subtract the values, then you've got 100D/3900 - 100D/4000 = D/1560. That's how much more of a chance in percentage you have of getting a defective Pandora if the handpainted project is done. So, let's say that 2% of the Pandoras can't overclock to 800mhz... that would be 80, so 80/1560 = about 0.05% higher chance of getting a defective than the chance that was there before the handpainted deal. Let's go so far as to say that 10% of the Pandoras can't overclock that far, you've still got only a 0.25% higher chance of getting a defective than you would have had before.

I don't think that I'll buy one of these if they do the project, since I prefer the sleek black look of the Pandora. The overclocking guarantee thing isn't my concern as much as whether these will be shipped with a higher priority.

I'll probably buy one, as an investment.

If the team are going to push these to the front of the queue then so be it. I'm sure they wouldn't be doing it unless they really needed the cash. There's nothing wrong with 'special-edition' money spinners as far as I'm concerned. It's a very good business strategy. At least if these editions are at a fixed price it will be a lot more ethical than the idea of putting 1 pink Pandora on auction to the highest bidder.

Patrick R Ludvigsen said:
Hmmm, let's see here, if there are 4000 Pandoras being made, and 100 of them will be taken out of this batch which certainly go to 800mhz...

So the amount of "defective" Pandoras overall (using defective to refer to not reaching 800mhz, though that isn't technically defective I suppose), let's call that D, so the percentage chance of getting a defective Pandora if you have the entire 4000 to choose from is 100D/4000. Now if we take 100 certainly overclockable Pandoras out, your chances of getting a defective: 100D/3900.

So, if we subtract the values, then you've got 100D/3900 - 100D/4000 = D/1560. That's how much more of a chance in percentage you have of getting a defective Pandora if the handpainted project is done. So, let's say that 2% of the Pandoras can't overclock to 800mhz... that would be 80, so 80/1560 = about 0.05% higher chance of getting a defective than the chance that was there before the handpainted deal. Let's go so far as to say that 10% of the Pandoras can't overclock that far, you've still got only a 0.25% higher chance of getting a defective than you would have had before.

I don't think that I'll buy one of these if they do the project, since I prefer the sleek black look of the Pandora. The overclocking guarantee thing isn't my concern as much as whether these will be shipped with a higher priority.

the problem with what you describ is that we have no idea on the "defective" pandora... if there's only 100/4000 pandora able to go up to 800MHz then you've lost 100% of your chance to get a good one...

but as wizard stan mantionned there no information on where will these 100 pandora comes from... there's thus no reason to panic...
but anyway I'dd find it way better and nicer for everyone to sell a limited number of painted regular pandora or spare case...

Pleng said:
I'll probably buy one, as an investment.

If the team are going to push these to the front of the queue then so be it. I'm sure they wouldn't be doing it unless they really needed the cash. There's nothing wrong with 'special-edition' money spinners as far as I'm concerned. It's a very good business strategy. At least if these editions are at a fixed price it will be a lot more ethical than the idea of putting 1 pink Pandora on auction to the highest bidder.
This. Though, I probably won't buy one myself as I'm happy with plain black.

I'm *really* curious to see how they might look, if this does go ahead. I love seeing this sort of thing. (I used to collect pictures of customised Nintendo DSes, geek that I am. :p)

Elwing said:
but as wizard stan mantionned there no information on where will these 100 pandora comes from...

hmm... didn't they make 105 +/- of the previous revision boards that were possibly going to goto devs/press? Perhaps they are now limited edition boards. Maybe some of the testing they did on those boards included an overclock test, so they already know they goto 800?

Elwing said:
the problem with what you describ is that we have no idea on the "defective" pandora... if there's only 100/4000 pandora able to go up to 800MHz then you've lost 100% of your chance to get a good one...
But then your odds of getting a "defective" one has gone from 3900/4000 (97.5%) to 3900/3900 (100%). Even though the odds are now 100%, it's still only 2.5% greater than without the 100 pull.

edit: quoting "defective", don't want to say there is anything wrong with only getting 600Mhz.

I'd totally buy a C64 lookalike Pandy http://openpandora.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/pannodore64.jpg if it had the extra key functions of the C64 also silkscreened onto the keys... =D

For example, see here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Commodore64.jpg - The C64 had a ton of extra functions built into the keys that were awesome for doing programming and stuff.

I expect to program on my panda in the C64, since that was my first computer. Unless someone ports over a good compiler for Qbasic or some other simple language. I'm definitely more of a designer and artist than a programmer, I really don't have the patience to learn ASM all over again or figure out C++.

Back