Zodiac?

Alessandro

Website
Visit site
Hi.
Many of you know me for the GP32iDE. B)
I was surfin' around the net and I came at Tapwave's site and I saw the development section... since I'm curious about those handhelds, I wanted to try the SDK to see my skills to make a simple compiled app ...
The Zodiac seems to have a touch screen, and I thought to get it as a PDA... Since I don't want to get an handheld and use only 3rd part compiled app (I also want to make my tests and maybe port my projects), is there anybody here who has the devkit? How many megs I have to dl?

I've tried to signup the zodiac site, but i sill cannot login to see the size of SDK.. I've read about a free SDK (PRC Tools, I think)... there's also a big FAQ about Zodiac dev, but it's not clear :blink:

Any help?

Thanks,
Alessandro

really, without wanting to be rude, go to zodiacgamer.com

this isn't a gp related issue, theres no way a tenacious link can even be made to the gp32.

go someplace where people care to put it bluntly!

It will be good to delete this topics style. Or to put this topic in other section.
Or maybe to delete automaticully topics with Zodiac in the title ? ;)

Hmmm, there seem to be a few of these topics floating around. I still <3 my GP32, and don't plan on getting a zodiac. EVER.

I would get a Zodiac if I could afford one but money goes on essentials atm (beer, wine, spirits). Anyways whats the point of replying to a topic if you dont know the answer? Or have nothing positive to say. Unless your a mod of course this isnt you job. <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the Z community, but it's not clear how to start developing on it. DOH!
I've posted here because I've already seen othere topics about Z, and this community it's smart ;)

I thought somebody could help me.

Thanks anyway

I would get a Zodiac if I could afford one but money goes on essentials atm (beer, wine, spirits). Anyways whats the point of replying to a topic if you dont know the answer? Or have nothing positive to say. Unless your a mod of course this isnt you job. <_<
you are a man to my heart! :)

actually, it's posts / threads like this that scare me off the Zodiac

seriously, how fuubed is their community if they wouldn't answer this dudes question. Say this guy is some sorta shit hot asm programmer, and all he needs is a link to an SDK, and bingo they get someone coding them up stuff. I mean the least they could do is post a 'search the forums newb' post....

I'm sorry if we come across as a little rude at times to all the helpless zodiac peoples who muddle their way to us... but to be fair I too am a little sick of the newb zodiac questions, lol. You've just posted a 'help me with my l33t PSX' post to the sega dreamcast forum, so expect us to flame you just a little.

I guess we could be complete asshats and for every zodiac newb question posted here, a number of us could post gp32 newb questions at zodiac gamer. Well I wouldn't want to put ideas in anybodies head, i mean, how immature would that be... certainly not in the spirit of GP32 community I've seen thus far... hmmm

All i can suggest is searching their (zodiac gamer or whatevers) forum and hope that at some point someone answered it.

http://www.palmos.com/dev/dl/dl_tools/dl_pods/ is a new dev suite that also covers Cobalt. It doesn't, however, contain Tapwave's proprietary APIs, but should be enough to get you started.

[edit] Without wanting to get flamed... Alessandro did give this community GP32IDE - which I'm sure has helped out a few people. I think it's reasonable for him to ask for a little help in return.

The problem with Zod community is that it's not quite as sharp on the homebrew side of things as the GP32 one - which, in my opinion, is pretty advanced. You can't blame them for not knowing, and you can't blame Alessandro for coming to a place where he knows he's going to get a bit of support.

Zodiac is PalmOS5.2, so just write PalmOS applications for it. The Tapwave API can not be distributed anywhere but Tapwave's site, and any Tapwave authorised developers are under agreement not to disclose any part of the SDK, or source code which uses the SDK (even if they write the complete source code themselves).

So, no one can give you a link to the Tapwave SDK, or describe any internals, or give code samples, etc. You need to prove to Tapwave that you are developer, and then they'll think about allowing you access to the SDK (after you agreeing to there terms and conditions of course).

Bohica, thanks for your answer.
As you said, I didn't found any support on the Zodiac communtiy... I left the GBA scene for the GP32, and rewrote from scratch my personal editor (GP32iDE) to involve new user to start coding and speed up the work of other users.

Since I've saw SCUMMVM running on a friend of mine's Ericsson P800 with the touchscreen, I thought that an handheld with a higher resolution (480x320), a touchscreen, and with all the Plam features could suit my needs... But since the f****g Zodiac community doesn't care about the community growing, they didn't gave me the infos I asked them... Until today each question I posted here always got an answer, for this reason I thought to ask you all guys.

Since many posts regarding Z appeared here, I thought somebody who own both GP32 and Z, could point me in the right direction.. If somebody asks for help starting the dev of GBA here, I surely won't flame it and having some experience on that env, will try to point it to the right tools, or sites..

Obviously not the 100% of people here thinks like me or the last 3 posters before this answer, I don't care.. I think some of them answered me only to increase their post count.. Isn't alchool offtopic on the gp32 board like Zodiac?

Enough for today

Since I've saw SCUMMVM running on a friend of mine's Ericsson P800 with the touchscreen, I thought that an handheld with a higher resolution (480x320), a touchscreen, and with all the Plam features could suit my needs
Personally, I use a Clie NX80V - it's a little chunky, but runs SCUMMVM perfectly. There's a new image just released as well.

With Sony pulling back from Clie' for a while, you might be able to pick up one, or another Clie module, on the cheap in the not too distant future.

Jeff (Skeezix) has produced a fantastic PalmOS port of Castaway, and a modular Genesis/SMS/GG/TG-16 emu. He's also produced an excellent Coleco emu as well. Check them out www.codejedi.com.

Back