Any Zodiac Ownwers Here?

0-bake

hi,

i just wanted to know, if any zodiac owners were here.

how good the snes part of LJZ? because i really want to have a portable snes and LJZ is update one time a week.
is it fun playing with a zodiac? what are the disadvantages (except the price...)

thx.

I dont own a zodiac but I heard tha the battery system was shit...
BTW : SteveO is right : this is a 'off topic discution' cause not at all gp32 related :)

see you :lol:

Yup, you should visit zodiacgamer.com, but to answer your question, I have a Zodiac.

LJZ Snes part is very good without sound. With sound it is too slow.

Battery is integrated into the unit and is not user-changable. Shouldn't make any difference though as it can sustain a minimum of 1000 charges. Does make the unit a lot more sexy (much better than a bulging set of AA's).

Second what steve-o says...

also, if you'd have done about three minutes of research at zodiacgamer.com, you'd already know the answer...

it isnt publically released yet, but devs who are using are reporting good speed but with the same issues as the gp32, transparencies and no support for FX chips etc.

man i wish everyone would stop posting "this is in the wrong topic" n shit like that - that all i seem to here these days.... the guy is asking a simple question on a forum
he is happy to post on.

yes i have both gp and zodiac - snes on zodiac is simpy stunning - a lot of games run nr full speed (Frame Skip 1) with sound - some are still very slow - eg. pilot wings - usually the more intensive games.

crono trigger is also nr perfect - also, the genesis is nr perfect without sound - some run well with sound som like a dog.

one good thing is the screen - its size (the emus run full screen with a nice smoothing filter) and its clarity - because its BLU its display is stunning - nice flat colour - and its touch screen

battery life is ok - not brilliant - i get on average - 4-6 hours depending on what apps i am using.

overall it makes the gp look like a kids toy - no offence fellow gp'ers - its just the truth. i love my gp, but after the playing with the zodiac it just shines quality compared to the gp.

however, the gp does have a better emu support in the way of frodo, speccy etc - so if you prefer playing these then stick to the gp. if snes, genesis, pc engine rock your boat...get a zodiac - and go for the zodiac2 (128mb of ram) as its more future proof in the way of more hefty emu's (neo geo cd has been batted about quite a lot - who knows)

hope this helps - sorry if this is full of typos : )
gary

man i wish everyone would stop posting "this is in the wrong topic" n shit like that - that all i seem to here these days.... the guy is asking a simple question on a forum
he is happy to post on.

yes i have both gp and zodiac - snes on zodiac is simpy stunning - a lot of games run nr full speed (Frame Skip 1) with sound - some are still very slow - eg. pilot wings - usually the more intensive games.

crono trigger is also nr perfect - also, the genesis is nr perfect without sound - some run well with sound som like a dog.

one good thing is the screen - its size (the emus run full screen with a nice smoothing filter) and its clarity - because its BLU its display is stunning - nice flat colour - and its touch screen

battery life is ok - not brilliant - i get on average - 4-6 hours depending on what apps i am using.

overall it makes the gp look like a kids toy - no offence fellow gp'ers - its just the truth. i love my gp, but after the playing with the zodiac it just shines quality compared to the gp.

however, the gp does have a better emu support in the way of frodo, speccy etc - so if you prefer playing these then stick to the gp. if snes, genesis, pc engine rock your boat...get a zodiac - and go for the zodiac2 (128mb of ram) as its more future proof in the way of more hefty emu's (neo geo cd has been batted about quite a lot - who knows)

hope this helps - sorry if this is full of typos : )
gary
hhmmm, all i ever seem to be able to conclude from all these mini zodiac reviews is that its about on par with the gp32?!?

i mean, LJZ is made up of gp32 emus and skeezix's work is ports of what hes already achieved on the gp32!

as for style and design, well thats a matter of taste, i've looked at countless pictures of the zodiac and must say i infinitely prefer the subtle curves of the gp32_console over the bulimic greying looks of the zodiac.

Last edited by a moderator:
Battery is integrated into the unit and is not user-changable. Shouldn't make any difference though as it can sustain a minimum of 1000 charges. Does make the unit a lot more sexy (much better than a bulging set of AA's).
Thats silly... 1000 charges Max... For the amount of money a Zodiac costs you would want it to live longer than 1000 charges

:huh:

obviously a biased crowd - but what would u expect on a gp forum? no offence intended at all

I actually said 1000 charges MINIMUM, not maximum. So it could easily last double or longer.

Also, if you think about it, a Zodiac1 is about the same price as a GP32 BLU when you consider it comes with builtin storage card, li-ion battery, charger and ac adaptor, etc that needs to bought seperately with the gp32.

Hmm... I have to say, I'd find 1000 charges a bit little, even if that is the minimum. Were I to own one, I doubt I'd charge it more than once every couple of days (probably after maybe 6 months of charging each day), but that still would mean it wouldn't last more than maybe 6 years time, if it stayed my favourite toy.

Ok, so it'd probably last somewhat longer since novelty value of everything fades after a stretch, but I'd still much prefer to be able to keep using it until CPU-death forced me to stop, not battery-death.

Plus which, there's the fact that its also a PDA to take into account - which means it'd probably be used far more regularly than a games machine only would for, say, diary functions and such as well.

1000 charges is probably enough, but it would, to me, still feel like the Sword of Damocles. Much, for that matter, as the SMC-death problem with our beloved Gamepark does; but SMCs cost a lot less to buy more of than a new battery (and I fully intend to make sure I've got 6 more, 4 unopened, before too long).

I dont like the non-removable battery in general, I go on a lot of Long Haul flights, and between getting to the airpost, waiting for the flight, boarding, flying, then negotiating a new country, I have been doing nothing for sum 12 hours

With the GP, when the batteries ded i can just whack in a new set, but the Zodiac is gone after half of the journey, so i have nothing else to do (I dont own a Z, just imagining)

I actually said 1000 charges MINIMUM, not maximum. So it could easily last double or longer.

Also, if you think about it, a Zodiac1 is about the same price as a GP32 BLU when you consider it comes with builtin storage card, li-ion battery, charger and ac adaptor, etc that needs to bought seperately with the gp32.
gp32_console How is it that people keep saying a BLU and a Z1 are a similar price?

Ok, so if you directly convert $300 to £ it costs £162.660 and by looking on GBAx and then go through the entire process of costing out delivery AND tax it costs £156.

But in the real world, the z1 is far more expensive, from gbax without tax or delivery its £200, but if we're sensible it comes out at £240!!!

And the AC adaptor and storage...

well i can get a plud for a fiver and a 32mb smc (which works out at 8mb more than the z1 has) again for about a fiver.

in conclusion, gp32_console wayyyyy cheaper!

comparing the z1 to the blu is a bit like swings n roundabouts.

take note tho - u dont have to buy a storage card - you can use the z1's (more limited) 32mb ram as storage - likewise for the z2 (128mb ram) it comes with a power suply, cable etc so theres no cost there either.

overall tho, if your gonna buy cards n stuff, yes it is more expensive....but its build quality, screen size far out weighs the slighly extra cost - for me anyway.

btw - my snes is better than your megadrive - sorry, i just felt like i was 12 again!!!!

Back