Zodiac 1 Vs. Z2.. Whats The Diff?

zodiac 1 has 32mb of ram and the zodiac 2 has 128mb of ram. Also the zodiac 1 is grey and the zodiac 2 is blue. I don't know what you would need the extra ram for so i bought a zodiac 1 and saved about 60 buks.

Jackd posted on Feb 6 2007 at 07:15 AM said:
zodiac 1 has 32mb of ram and the zodiac 2 has 128mb of ram. Also the zodiac 1 is grey and the zodiac 2 is blue. I don't know what you would need the extra ram for so i bought a zodiac 1 and saved about 60 buks.

Zodiac 2 is black, not blue...
The extra ram isn't necessery if you have sd cards, so a zodiac 1 is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
chaos engineer posted on Feb 7 2007 at 08:13 AM said:
purple_goat posted on Feb 7 2007 at 12:00 AM said:
RAM like ram or memory like NAND?

ram like ram
No.

The Zodiac´s RAM splits up in an area that´s actually used as working memory (called the heap, max. 16MB big) and the rest of the RAM is used like flash memory, only it is extremely faster (because its RAM). Since the Zodiac is always on or on standby, the stuff you save on the latter part won´t get lost.

Fishbong posted on Feb 7 2007 at 02:31 PM said:
chaos engineer posted on Feb 7 2007 at 08:13 AM said:
purple_goat posted on Feb 7 2007 at 12:00 AM said:
RAM like ram or memory like NAND?

ram like ram
No.

The Zodiac´s RAM splits up in an area that´s actually used as working memory (called the heap, max. 16MB big) and the rest of the RAM is used like flash memory, only it is extremely faster (because its RAM). Since the Zodiac is always on or on standby, the stuff you save on the latter part won´t get lost.

disappointment, I am a Zod Noob (recieved it some weeks ago). I always thought that it is real ram, There are programs that maximize the ram, like UDMH, so you suggest that even by using these programs, the heap is capped by 16 mb. but why is it possible to play metal slug, shock troopers and last blade on zodneo, I do not think that this emu uses rom dumps.

hmm at least there must be an advantage to own a zod2, I would say that the internal ram is much faster than the sd card access

chaos engineer posted on Feb 8 2007 at 08:59 AM said:
but why is it possible to play metal slug, shock troopers and last blade on zodneo, I do not think that this emu uses rom dumps.
AFAIK a part of the ROMs get loaded into the permanent part of the RAM, because its so fast, it doesn´t have to load the whole ROM.

Back