Release Zim - The Desktop Wiki

mindlord

Notices Two Things
Website
Visit site
No changes were made to the source this is a simple package job of version 0.49

Zim Homepage

Zim is a graphical text editor used to maintain a collection of wiki pages. Each page can contain links to other pages, simple formatting and images. Pages are stored in a folder structure, like in an outliner, and can have attachments. Creating a new page is as easy as linking to a nonexistent page. All data is stored in plain text files with wiki formatting. Various plugins provide additional functionality, like a task list manager, an equation editor, a tray icon, and support for version control.

Zim can be used to:

* Keep an archive of notes

* Take notes during meetings or lectures

* Organize task lists

* Draft blog entries and emails

* Do brainstorming

Zim handles several types of markup, like headings, bullet lists and of course bold, italic and highlighted. This markup is saved as wiki text so you can easily edit it with other editors. Because of the autosave feature you can switch between pages and follow links while editing without worries.
Download

No changes were made to the source this is a simple package job of version 0.49

Zim Homepage

Zim is a graphical text editor used to maintain a collection of wiki pages. Each page can contain links to other pages, simple formatting and images. Pages are stored in a folder structure, like in an outliner, and can have attachments. Creating a new page is as easy as linking to a nonexistent page. All data is stored in plain text files with wiki formatting. Various plugins provide additional functionality, like a task list manager, an equation editor, a tray icon, and support for version control.

Zim can be used to:

* Keep an archive of notes

* Take notes during meetings or lectures

* Organize task lists

* Draft blog entries and emails

* Do brainstorming

Zim handles several types of markup, like headings, bullet lists and of course bold, italic and highlighted. This markup is saved as wiki text so you can easily edit it with other editors. Because of the autosave feature you can switch between pages and follow links while editing without worries.
Download

This is epic. People complain about lack of progress with the Pandora, but the last week or so has brought so much to our system :)

can't get it to work. It just quits without a comment after the "add notebook" dialog

can't get it to work. It just quits without a comment after the "add notebook" dialog
Works just fine for me running Hotfix 4 on an unmodified NAND.

What hotfix level are you at?

Make sure you have full write permissions to the location you're creating your notebook in. The Desktop folder is read only, for example.

Please copy and paste the contents of /tmp/pndrunzim_run.out

There is a problem with the version I uploaded originally. It was not creating the zim folder in appdata, and that was causing problems. I've uploaded a new version zim-0.49-1 to the archive. It should be available soon. It is now available.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a problem with the version I uploaded originally
Great tool so far! But please do also check your "Categories" in your PXML-File. In the XFCE-Menu it shows up as "Games/Action"...

Works just fine for me running Hotfix 4 on an unmodified NAND.

What hotfix level are you at?

Make sure you have full write permissions to the location you're creating your notebook in. The Desktop folder is read only, for example.

Please copy and paste the contents of /tmp/pndrunzim_run.out

I'm on HF5RC2 and try to create a notebook on my sd-card (mmcblk0p1). It creates the notebook.zim file but then exits.

pndrun_zim.out

Code:
sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -m -p /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu//zim.pnd -e ./zim.sh -b zim

not mounted on loop yet, doing so

LoopMountedon: 

/dev/loop4

Filetype is Squashfs

Mounting PND (mount -t squashfs) :

/dev/loop4 on /mnt/pnd/zim type squashfs (ro)

Filesystem is vfat

Mounting the Union FS using /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/zim as Write directory:

mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs=/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/zim=rw+nolwh:/mnt/pnd/zim=rr none /mnt/utmp/zim

none on /mnt/utmp/zim type aufs (rw,si=6580a177,noplink)

none on /mnt/utmp/zim type aufs (rw,si=6580a177,noplink)

[------------------------------]{ App start }[---------------------------------]

WARNING: Can not import 'xdg.Mime' - falling back to 'mimetypes'

WARNING: Filesystem encoding is set to ASCII or Latin1, using UTF-8 instead

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "./zim.py", line 45, in <module>

zim.main(argv)

File "/mnt/utmp/zim/zim/__init__.py", line 300, in main

notebook = zim.gui.notebookdialog.prompt_notebook()

File "/mnt/utmp/zim/zim/gui/notebookdialog.py", line 44, in prompt_notebook

list.write()

File "/mnt/utmp/zim/zim/notebook.py", line 111, in write

self.file.writelines(lines)

File "/mnt/utmp/zim/zim/fs.py", line 997, in writelines

self._writelines(lines)

File "/mnt/utmp/zim/zim/fs.py", line 1022, in _writelines

file = self.open('w')

File "/mnt/utmp/zim/zim/fs.py", line 839, in open

fh = FileHandle(tmp, mode=mode, on_close=self._on_write)

File "/mnt/utmp/zim/zim/fs.py", line 1276, in __init__

file.__init__(self, path, **opts)

IOError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/mnt/utmp/zim/zim/notebooks.list.zim-new~'

[-------------------------------]{ App end }[----------------------------------]

cleanup done

It looks like the appdata folder is unwritable. If you're using FAT32 or NTFS that's a headscratcher.

If you're using EXTFS it's a permissions problem do:

Code:
sudo chown -Rh [YOUR USERNAME]:[YOUR USERNAME] /media/[CARD NAME]/pandora/appdata

That should ensure that you own your own appdata folder and everything under it. This can happen when the appdata folder itself is created by libPnd. Sometimes it gets created by root permissions instead of your own.

Thanks for your work, mindlord, works great.

Alas, I have a small problem: After using Zim I can't use "SD-Mass Storage" with this SD card, because it can't be unmounted. In pndrun_zim.out I found this message:

Code:
[-------------------------------]{ App end }[----------------------------------] 

umount: /mnt/utmp/zim: device is busy.

(In some cases useful info about processes that use

the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))

umount UNION failed, didnt clean up. Process still using this FS :

5147 ?        R      0:00 /usr/bin/python ./zim.py

but the process isn't running anymore. :blink:

Any ideas?

@mindlord I've bumped Zim Wiki from 0.56 to 0.69.1
ZIM has been updated in the Repo.
It was the latest I could find still running on Python 2.7, which is build-in the OS of the Pandora. All higher version are Python 3.
I kept everything as-is, as to not break things.

NOTE: There is no automatic migration path!
  1. Go to ./pandora/appdata/zim
  2. copy the ./Notebooks/ to a save place.
  3. Delete the directory ./pandora/appdata/zim
  4. Run zim.pnd and use the defaults to re-create the zim directory.
  5. Overwrite the new but empty /Notebooks/ with your backed-up /Notebooks/
  6. Start Zim again to enjoy your wiki

Additions I needed that are in this new version: Tables (and lots of plug-ins but we need to compile those separately). CTRL+SHIFT+F for global find.
long story short: tables do not display...

Could not find code to do this automatically. When you start Zim, select "View / Toolbar / Icons Only" this will de-clutter your view. Ideas welcome (it's Python, so it should be readable somewhere...)

Another possibly useful addition is updating the OS's DejaVu-Sans (and only those), this allows for Unicode characters previously not visible.
From https://dejavu-fonts.github.io/Download.html
which goes to https://sourceforge.net/projects/dejavu/files/dejavu/2.37/dejavu-fonts-ttf-2.37.tar.bz2/download
and I replace the Dejavu-sans fonts in /usr/share/fonts/truetype (at expense of RAM usage)
(did not try User Fonts: i.e. dropping them in ~/.fonts which would be a symlink to a font directory inside the zim.pnd)

But I need more people playing with these new fonts to find out if it is stable for all other pnd's and the OS in general.
Post automatically merged:

Any ideas?
In very strange occasions the directory /mnt/utmp/zim becomes a file. You need to "sudo su" to root and then remove said file. Then it should start again.

Last edited:
Reactions: rSl
Back