Beta Zib

Aimless_E

Later today I will be uploading the first beta of ZiB to google code. I am currently having trouble creating an openembedded build environment on my PC so unless someone that has a build environment which includes the EFL is willing to recompile it for me we will just have to wait to get true test data. If you're willing to compile it for the arm arch let me know.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
You stated that you were "currently having trouble creating an openembedded build environment".

The response was that you didn't have to.

Just download and install Codesourcery, which comes with a user friendly installer and gets you up and running straight away. There's no IDE (unless you buy the pro version, or download something like CodeBlocks) but you don't need that anyway. Just open a dos command prompt, type your code using Notepad+ (notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm) and then type 'make'. It couldn't be simpler.

'Squidge' said:
You stated that you were "currently having trouble creating an openembedded build environment".

The response was that you didn't have to.

Just download and install Codesourcery, which comes with a user friendly installer and gets you up and running straight away. There's no IDE (unless you buy the pro version, or download something like CodeBlocks) but you don't need that anyway. Just open a dos command prompt, type your code using Notepad+ (notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm) and then type 'make'. It couldn't be simpler.
Thats assuming I run windows, which I don't. It also assumes that I need an IDE which I never have. The problem that I am having and which no one seems to understand is that I need to setup a build enviroment that includes the EFL which I stated in my first post.

Will Code sorcery allow me to compile from source, e17 and all its libraries in such a way as that when I compile my program that uses e17's libraries that are known as the EFL. It will work on the arm architecture.

Note: you want to use the ARM GNU/Linux version, not the EABI one. I made this mistake and was cut short on necessary runtime libraries.

'Aimless_E' said:
Thats assuming I run windows, which I don't. It also assumes that I need an IDE which I never have. The
Hey, if you run Linux instead of Windows, then just download the linux version of Codesourcery instead of the Windows version, then open an xterm instead of a dos command window. Hardly rocket science :)
'Aimless_E' said:
Will Code sorcery allow me to compile from source, e17 and all its libraries in such a way as that when I compile my program that uses e17's libraries that are known as the EFL. It will work on the arm architecture.

You can download the binary or source versions of the compiler as you wish. You can compile anything from source as long as you have the dependancies.

There's probably EFL libraries for ARM already on the net somewhere, but it's not exactly difficult to compile them from source using any GCC derivative.

[If there's something I'm missing here, please let me know]

'Squidge' said:
'Aimless_E' said:
Thats assuming I run windows, which I don't. It also assumes that I need an IDE which I never have. The
Hey, if you run Linux instead of Windows, then just download the linux version of Codesourcery instead of the Windows version, then open an xterm instead of a dos command window. Hardly rocket science :)
'Aimless_E' said:

You can download the binary or source versions of the compiler as you wish. You can compile anything from source as long as you have the dependancies.

There's probably EFL libraries for ARM already on the net somewhere, but it's not exactly difficult to compile them from source using any GCC derivative.

[If there's something I'm missing here, please let me know]
Pardon my bluntness yesterday. I've been given several different answers on several different forums and irc channels about how to achieve my goal. If I were to guess my biggest problem "now" is the mass amounts of 'noise' on my computer caused by the different arm cross compilers. But thats beside the point. When I began the post I was simply asking for someone that already had a dev system that included the EFL so that I could get real world data on my program. Evil Dragon is using E17 on his dev board so I know its possible and that he at least has it working.
My intent wasn't to offend.

'Aimless_E' said:
Pardon my bluntness yesterday. I've been given several different answers on several different forums and irc channels about how to achieve my goal. If I were to guess my biggest problem "now" is the mass amounts of 'noise' on my computer caused by the different arm cross compilers. But thats beside the point. When I began the post I was simply asking for someone that already had a dev system that included the EFL so that I could get real world data on my program. Evil Dragon is using E17 on his dev board so I know its possible and that he at least has it working.
Hi,

I have a BeagleBoard OE setup (actually its just completing the beagleboard-demo-image as we speak).
If you want me to compile your app / build an OE recipe for you I'd more than happy to.
-(e)

'sweetlilmre' said:
'Aimless_E' said:
Hi,

I have a BeagleBoard OE setup (actually its just completing the beagleboard-demo-image as we speak).
If you want me to compile your app / build an OE recipe for you I'd more than happy to.
-(e)

Great! I'll get the newest version on googlecode this evening (GMT-600).

'Aimless_E' said:
'sweetlilmre' said:
Hi,

-(e)
Great! I'll get the newest version on googlecode this evening (GMT-600).

Hi, I had a really busy day so didn't get much time.
I got a recepie together and gave it a go, but had issues with E headers and libs.
I'll give it another go on Monday.

-(e)

Let me know what machines you get it to work on. Im having trouble getting it to work on an old sub 600mhz laptop. Need to know if its my program or the laptop.

Thanks

Back