Update ZEsarUX 7.1

You're welcome Levi!
Yes the menu is small because it's 256x192 (like the spectrum resolution). So if Amstrad cpc display fills your entire tv out, the menu will use less than half of this.. :(
About cpc games, as I said, cpc emulation is experimental and many games don't work. But you will find some others that do work. For example, try Dynamite Dan for cpc 464, find a cdt tape file and load it on ZEsarUX ;)
Cheers
Cesar

Changelog

- Latest stable release. See Changelog.
- Updated libs and sources.

Hi,.

When I start Zesarux I get an error "/mnt/utmp/zesarux/share/zesarux/divmmcesx086.mmc" does not exist
Is that some sort of Windows left over thing?

Also QL goes to a black screen and I have to power off and on again

Last edited:
That file is an SD image for DIVMMC support. Forgot to remove from config after testing...

The file does exist inside the PND, but it seems to be a file permissions problem, even if i'm not able to reproduce it on a EXT4 formatted card.

Could you delete old config on appdata/zesarux/.zesaruxrc so it can be recreated again? Zoom 2 was too much for QL, so i changed it to Zoom 1, so if fits on the screen.

Ok, thanks, that fixed a few things.. but now when I go into QL I get a red screen with weird characters at the bottom??

Changelog

- Make ZX-UNO default emu. ROM and MMC copied at first start to appdata folder.
- Flite config files restored. Text to Speech works again.
- Changed default config. It would overwrite the current one the first time only.
- Fixed permission files on share/zesarux folder.

Ok, thanks, that fixed a few things.. but now when I go into QL I get a red screen with weird characters at the bottom??

It happens the same on my main PC with Linux. Maybe the roms are dummy or i'm missing some config.

FWIW, I tested the previous build and it seemed to handle almost everything I threw at it.

I did have some weirdness the first time I lauched it, and was hitting random keys to try to find the menu. Something I pressed caused the screen to shrink and be repeated four times, slightly corrupted to my eye, and further keypresses went into my terminal window, once I switched the graphic layer over on my TV-out unit, so I think it had crashed. I can't reproduce that though, so until I can I guess there's no point investigating it, unless it's a known issue.

Once I'd figured it out, it accepted all of the tape files and snapshots I threw at it. It even booted up CPC mode fine without having to mess with the configuration.

Can anyone help me with the Spectrum +2 boot menu though? I can select the first option (tape load) but I can't find the keys to move down and be able to boot to BASIC.

I did have some weirdness the first time I lauched it, and was hitting random keys to try to find the menu.

It shows a little notice at the top when it starts, but the newer PND version i did, would tell you that with a female voice, XD

If you could remember what you exactly did, i can try to see if i can reproduce the error.

Can anyone help me with the Spectrum +2 boot menu though? I can select the first option (tape load) but I can't find the keys to move down and be able to boot to BASIC.

On the newer version, i changed Joystick type to Cursor&Shift, because of that, and ZX-UNO menu.
To change it, F5>Settings>Hardware>Joystick type

It's talking to me! I've not yet spotted anything telling me to hit F5, and the voice didn't tell me, but now I know it's not a problem.

I tried all of the joystick types and didn't find one that let me control that +2 menu using the d-pad. I never had a real +2 - am I doing it right?

In terms of reproducing that weird crash, I tried but wasn't able to get it to fall over at all through hitting keys, even before your latest build that doesn't complain about that .mmc file at start. I've had to reboot the machine since then, and before then it had been up for 5 days so it's possible it was just uptime flakiness.

I did get a segmentation fault on trying to boot it as a QL though.

In terms of using this to its full extent, is there any way of bring up a virtual keyboard? I've not been able to find double quotes on the keyboard anywhere. In the Z88 mode I noticed that they keyboard behaved much like a BBC micro including the symbols on shift+number, but unfortunately on a BBC double quote is off to the right of P or L, and my Pandora doesn't have keys there.

Similarly, I noticed the ZX-Uno suggested I press Edit or Break to access the facilities of that interesting creation, but I couldn't find those keys. Maybe I should try plugging in a USB keyboard, although while mine has a break key it doesn't have an edit key.

I also noticed that fn+buttons didn't seem to do much in any of the modes. I guess since the pandora has fewer physical keys than even a ZX spectrum, it might need some additional modified keys to allocate all of the target hardware keys.

Are you using the latest release on the repo?
Try to delete appdata/zesarux first, and try again.

There's a virtual keyboard, Settings>Gui>On Screen keyboard.

When ZX-UNO starts, press Escape to enter the menu.

Yes, I'm running the latest version as updated by pndmanager apparently correctly. On testing it tonight, it did tell me to press F5 in a female voice fwiw - maybe last time I hit Esc while it was between sentences.

Thanks, the onscreen keyboard works in ZX spectrum 48k modes at least, although it doesn't show you the symbols on the keys so it's of limited use. I discovered that I could achieve a double quote using alt+P.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work in Z88 mode since that machine has a different keyboard, and in that mode there is no on-screen keyboard, so for me that machine's not really usable on my Pandora. But that machine's really only a curiosity for me; my pandora can already do everything the Z88 could do on the move. The machine was certainly impressive when it was launched though, including a word processor, spreadsheet, programming language and more in a portable format with a graphical display.

Also, in ZXUno I've discovered that hitting escape only brings me to the machine selection screen the first time I boot it in a session. Subsequent times I reboot the machine, or switch to something else and back it just decides to boot the last machine automatically, and doesn't print the 'press edit..' line or accept my Esc key input. Also, as of yet I've not found a joystick setting that lets me use that menu to select anything other than a 48k spectrum.

Back