Beta Zelda ... Kind Of

sebt3 said:
I must confess that I didn't tested much theses games, it looked to work.
This is weird. an appdata directory isn't created for all these only ROTH and 3T (french) have been created on my console. I'll dig deeper.

I guess I can get you some tips :)
I put all three US on my SD Card and only two show up.
This either means one is broken (haven't checked) or two of them share the same application ID - which won't work.

Also, be sure to NOT include any saving data within the PNDs - otherwise they will be write protected and the games can't save.
I guess if no saving data exists, the game will create the files anew (and this time, in the appdata dear with rw permissions).

If the game doesn't work when you delete the save file, there is some workaround I did for some other stuff (like including a default Pandora-optimized configuration in Vice, e.g.):
Rename the save file (i.e. save.empty). Start a script that checks on startup if the save file exists. If not, copy the renamed save file to the real name of the save file. If yes, don't do anything.
This will copy the empty save file to the appdata dir with the correct permissions on first run :)

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Also, be sure to NOT include any saving data within the PNDs - otherwise they will be write protected and the games can't save.
I guess if no saving data exists, the game will create the files anew (and this time, in the appdata dear with rw permissions).
I though the appdata directory was placed in an aufs overlay with the PND iso. This would mean that writing to a file inside the PND will copy it into the appdata directory and shadow the file inside the PND.

If the game doesn't work when you delete the save file, there is some workaround I did for some other stuff (like including a default Pandora-optimized configuration in Vice, e.g.):
Rename the save file (i.e. save.empty). Start a script that checks on startup if the save file exists. If not, copy the renamed save file to the real name of the save file. If yes, don't do anything.
This will copy the empty save file to the appdata dir with the correct permissions on first run :)
Similar to above, I would expect that an empty save file (with the proper filename) inside the PND would suffice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caine said:
EvilDragon said:
I though the appdata directory was placed in an aufs overlay with the PND iso. This would mean that writing to a file inside the PND will copy it into the appdata directory and shadow the file inside the PND.

Similar to above, I would expect that an empty save file (with the proper filename) inside the PND would suffice.

It SHOULD work. But seems like the overlaying of AUFS doesn't work properly. Maybe because of the SD Card directory being VFAT?

Last edited:
B-ZaR said:
Nintendo also went after that FOSS Pokémon browser-MMO just for trademark violation.
That was absolutely necessary. Trademarks need to be defended, else you lose them. If you can prove they knew about a trademark violation and chose not to pursue it, they lose rights to that trademark.

Updates :
- New Mapping :
Accept -> X
run -> R
pickup/throw -> B
read -> Y
Use item -> X
sword -> A
Help -> h
Quit -> Start
look around -> L+Dpad
map -> Select
- Save game problem fixed
- Speed fix (the game was using SDL_rotozoom (floating point...) to do a 2x, I've added an interger-based 2x) game is full-speed at 500Mhz now
- PXML shit cleaned too

The download link are the same.

There is still no music (sound work). I can't find where is the problem. The pandora seems to have midi in hw, drivers are there, but still no sound. May be I should fill a bug.
Anyone with a good idea for midi playing as these musics are greats (I had to try on my PC).

sebt3 said:
Updates :
- New Mapping :
Accept -> X
run -> R
pickup/throw -> B
read -> Y
Use item -> X
sword -> A
Help -> h
Quit -> Start
look around -> L+Dpad
map -> Select
- Save game problem fixed
- Speed fix (the game was using SDL_rotozoom (floating point...) to do a 2x, I've added an interger-based 2x) game is full-speed at 500Mhz now
- PXML shit cleaned too

The download link are the same.

There is still no music (sound work). I can't find where is the problem. The pandora seems to have midi in hw, drivers are there, but still no sound. May be I should fill a bug.
Anyone with a good idea for midi playing as these musics are greats (I had to try on my PC).

Try sending torpor a PM. He's the resident midi/pro audio expert.

Are you sure it's not just expecting to use timidity?

just to confirm, music is working for me now... All I did was download: http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/timidity/timidity.tar.gz

Then add the line to the top of the timidity.cfg: dir ./timidity

then copy the timidity folder to the appdata folder of the zelda game(s) and moved the timidity.cfg into the same folder (need to move it out of the timidity folder into the base appdata folder for that game.)

As a small note, not sure if this is caused by the addition of music, but I'm getting some weird hangs (music still plays, but can't move anymore)

Hooka said:
Are you sure it's not just expecting to use timidity?

just to confirm, music is working for me now... All I did was download: http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/timidity/timidity.tar.gz

Then add the line to the top of the timidity.cfg: dir ./timidity

then copy the timidity folder to the appdata folder of the zelda game(s) and moved the timidity.cfg into the same folder (need to move it out of the timidity folder into the base appdata folder for that game.)

As a small note, not sure if this is caused by the addition of music, but I'm getting some weird hangs (music still plays, but can't move anymore)
Using Hooka instruction I build a timidity++ installer that will do this in your nand.
This package will create /usr/share/timidity and /etc/timidity, so to uninstall, drop these directories.

like the hot-fix pnds, run once and drop the PND.

these zelda have sound now and are release ready yeaahhhh.

Thanks Hooka (sorry torpor, he was faster than you)

WizardStan said:
B-ZaR said:
Nintendo also went after that FOSS Pokémon browser-MMO just for trademark violation.
That was absolutely necessary. Trademarks need to be defended, else you lose them. If you can prove they knew about a trademark violation and chose not to pursue it, they lose rights to that trademark.

I understand. This is why I think they might go after fan zelda games as well.

sebt3 said:
Using Hooka instruction I build a timidity++ installer that will do this in your nand.
This package will create /usr/share/timidity and /etc/timidity, so to uninstall, drop these directories.

like the hot-fix pnds, run once and drop the PND.

these zelda have sound now and are release ready yeaahhhh.

Thanks Hooka (sorry torpor, he was faster than you)

14mb is worryingly large for a NAND patch.

SomeGuy99 said:
Agree, and that the reason why I don't think this have to be part of the base OS but only available to those that are willing the trade off (like myself).
I'm open to suggestion of any better solution. :)

Put it in the PND. Why is a midi library 14mb in the first place? That boggles my mind really.

sebt3 said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Agree, and that the reason why I don't think this have to be part of the base OS but only available to those that are willing the trade off (like myself).
I'm open to suggestion of any better solution. :)

Why are you so against putting it in the PND? Torpor even suggested you do that in the topic where you asked for it to be added to the base image.

-God Ginrai

SomeGuy99 said:
Put it in the PND. Why is a midi library 14mb in the first place? That boggles my mind really.
It's not the library. The library is already part of the system. It's only the required files (sound samples) to play midi files...

edit: @godginrai : I'm not against that. It just sounded dumb to me to add more stuff to these pnds than they actualy already include. but sure, adding it to the nand is even worst for most.
I'll add these files to the PNDs and upload them in the FA (still no upload right in the app-store...)

EDIT2: done ; changes :
- regenerate PXML out of genpxml
- added timidity inside the pnds (moving them from an healfy 4M to a fat 18M each)
- moved the pnd files to the archive

by the way, Vincent (the original author) will host sources and pnds shortly on his web site.

I can see both sides of the NAND/PND argument here. I mean afaik there are quite a few games that use timidity. Don't the doom ports use it for music playback, for instance?

If a lot of games use it then I can see why it would be desirable to have on the NAND rather than adding an extra 12Mb to all the PNDs. However it's an old system that isn't used much anymore then I guess it's better to keep it packaged with the PNDs that actually use them. I mean, with todays storage capacities, 12Mb extra on a couple of games isn't exactly massive.

@sebt3 if you wanted to optimize space you could always make a PND which includes all three of the games + timidity. That way you only need to include timidity once.

sebt3 said:
SomeGuy99 said:
It's not the library. The library is already part of the system. It's only the required files (sound samples) to play midi files...

edit: @godginrai : I'm not against that. It just sounded dumb to me to add more stuff to these pnds than they actualy already include. but sure, adding it to the nand is even worst for most.
I'll add these files to the PNDs and upload them in the FA (still no upload right in the app-store...)

EDIT2: done ; changes :
- regenerate PXML out of genpxml
- added timidity inside the pnds (moving them from an healfy 4M to a fat 18M each)
- moved the pnd files to the archive

by the way, Vincent (the original author) will host sources and pnds shortly on his web site.
How do I get past the title screen for ROTH? I've tried pressing all the buttons, F1 to F12, START, SELECT, ESC, etc....:/

I tried the new ROTH pnd this morning, and seems to load run okay with music and controls and everything, but freezes up after about 2 minutes. The music keeps playing but the screen is frozen and no buttons do anything.

Also, can you not pick up jars and bushes at first, or is that a control issue?

Azure said:
How do I get past the title screen for ROTH? I've tried pressing all the buttons, F1 to F12, START, SELECT, ESC, etc....:/

I just hit X.

seems in ROTH that you can't pickup pots or bushes off the start (and he does the little I can't lift anything I'm a wuss animation, so I assume it's just part of that game (find a power glove first or something...))

Back